PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Clutch is slipping

Tom Q
04-12-2005, 09:30 AM
My clutch is slipping and tranny doesn't want to shift to 4th. I need to have this fixed. Does anybody know any shops in the /Merced/Modesto/Stockton/ Sacramento Area ?

djdoughboy
04-12-2005, 09:52 AM
is this an automatic or a manual?

Tom Q
04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
automatic. I have a 95 C220

djdoughboy
04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
probably the linkage and bushings... this repair is not very difficult to do... and the bushings are cheap from the dealer...

Tom Q
04-12-2005, 10:06 AM
do you have any ideas on how to do this? Some members say it could be the solenoids......all the way to a new tranny. I need to get this fixed coz it's my wife who drives the car most of the time.

djdoughboy
04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
i would say replace the bushings and see if the linkage needs to be adjusted (tightened) this is easy to do but putting the bushings on can be difficult because they are such a tight squeeze...
"its located under the vehicle where the shifter meets the rod that connects to the trans linkage.
there is a clip that holds the rod into the shifter.. pop that off. then remove the old worn out and deteriorated bushing. next installing the new one is a bit of a job.. but if you put it in hot water for a bit to soften it up slightly it will make the process much easier.
then install the new bushing, you may need to persuade it! using channel locks or a pry bar.. make sure to support the opposite side so you dont bend the shifter.
then install the rod and put the clip back on.
its not easy to do.. you will need a lift to make things easier.. but Im sure it can be done with a jack and jack stands."

the linkage is the zigzag looking thing... also make sure your trans. fluid is at normal level... low trannys fluid can cause this sort of problem as well...

...there is also a chance that it is the clutch pack... but if it were the clutch pack it would most likely make it hard to get into any gear... not just 1 gear...

Sean

jnenad16
04-13-2005, 12:41 AM
i think he is referring to the clutch slippage, not shifter position problem. If its slipping, than the only thing to do is get the clutch packs and brake bands replaced. it can be anywhere from $1000 to $2000 parts and labor.

nenad

Tom Q
04-13-2005, 07:50 AM
yup. My shifter rattles a bit which is caused by the bushing. The clutch slippage is another thing.

djdoughboy
04-13-2005, 09:48 AM
yeah i was thinking it could be the clutch pack... but as i stated in my previous post... dont you guys think all gears would be affected if the clutch pack needed to be replaced? i dont know... just a thought...

Sean

Tom Q
04-13-2005, 09:55 AM
that's what the shop said too. I would slip in first gear. But I don't. It's the tranny not shifting to 4th that's really giving me problems.