PDA

View Full Version : Hi beam switch not working.

Eiknujrac
04-20-2005, 03:07 PM
So recently, my high beam switch has been acting up. When it first started happening, I would have my high beams on, and when I push the turn signal either left or right, they would go out. Then it got to the point to where, even if the switch was on, they would not come on. You would have to push the switch a little farther back towards the dash and hold it, just to keep them on. Now it is to the point where they just will not come on at all. Everything else on the arm still works fine, turn signals, wiper, and the high beams will even come on when i flash them (switch towards my body).

Is it possible for this switch to get corroded? Is it expensive to replace the mutifunction arm? Wow this problem gets really annoying at night. Any help is appreciated.

vbrock1137
04-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I caught my hand on the cruise control stalk during some "spirited" driving awhile back and almost broke it off, it just hung there. Stealership charged me $300 to fix it 'cause they had to take the wheel off. Probably cost about the same for your problem, but an independant mech. could be less.

jnolte
04-20-2005, 04:37 PM
could be combonation switch

i have this problem too but have yet to figure it out

Tom Q
04-20-2005, 06:44 PM
i cleaned the contacts of the relay. Hasn't given me problem since then

Eiknujrac
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Is the relay under the hood?

SLAMMED_C
04-20-2005, 07:58 PM
I would think a combination switch.. just for the fact that you had to press the stalk so far forward to get it to work for a while.. probably the contact in the combination switch broke..

Eiknujrac
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
I would think a combination switch.. just for the fact that you had to press the stalk so far forward to get it to work for a while.. probably the contact in the combination switch broke..

Yay, sounds expensive.

SLAMMED_C
04-20-2005, 08:09 PM
what year is your car?.. 98 c280 is it?.. I have one, from a 97.. if its the same as the 98.. maybe we could work something out....

Tom Q
04-20-2005, 09:36 PM
cheapest way is to clean the contacts:D

under the hood. unscrew the fuse cover. If I remember right, it's the pink relay. Pull it straight up, clean the contacts, pray, then put it back in.

thmsshaun
04-21-2005, 12:11 AM
I had the same problem with my 95. Main beam would work when pushed forward but would not flash when towards you. Aparently this is a cmmon fault. Unit was £80 GBP so around $160 from the dealers and I got an independant to fit.