PDA

View Full Version : Engine stall on 95 C280

///sped
06-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi all:

I have a problem with the engine which manifests itself without consistency; the engine will stall, at idle or cruising RPMs on the highway, and I cannot get it to turn over after this for at least 1 minute at rest.
ie. the engine will crank, but not start.

Once I let it sit for a few minutes, it will start right up and I'm on my way.

Sometimes, this won't happen for days - sometimes, it will happen 2-5 times day. I've been lucky so far not to have been stalled in a dangerous situation.

Have replaced spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and fuel pump relay.

Others have indicated that I check the crank sensor, or the cam referance signal.

Any thoughts?

-thanks.

jnolte
06-27-2003, 02:08 PM
My freind has the same problem in his 1997 audi A4 but its problay not the same problem. His battery connections just come loose and he has to reconnect them. In may be your alternator or fuel sensor?? I really have no idea but a mechanic would know

JRE320
06-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Check your relay w/c is located on the right side of your engine bay. You'll see a relay that got a fuse on top of itand being covered by a clear plastic. If the fuse is blown that could be the cause of your stalling. It cost around $60 and I'm sure one of your relays gone bad on you. It happen to me on my E-class with the same problem. Will stall and give it a rest for like 5 mins. then re start and you're on your way again. But mine cost me almost $2gs. with major tune ups and cleaning all the manifolds and catalytic plus the relay. :( :rolleyes: :bored: ;)

CKlasse
06-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Check your DTCs... JRE might be right.. 90% of all problems in Euro cars are in the 'connections & sensors' themselves. They don't reflect mechanical problems.

shoebox
11-04-2003, 06:43 AM
///sped,

Did you ever resolve your stalling problem? I'm having the same syptoms on my c280.

Thanks