PDA

View Full Version : help on choosing pads to work with vogtland spring set up on c43

98c43
04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
hi my question is this im buying the vogtland's shock and spring kit to day and i wanted to know if i should change the pads on my 98 c43?see i want something with great looks and at the same time great performance and i cant mess up cuz i can only put them in once. i will be using thestock monoblocks.what pads should i use?thanks guys:beard: :cool: :D

sleek_benzo
04-26-2005, 09:35 AM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6523&highlight=pads

please read. :tired:

Renn 208
04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
This kind of question is always difficult to answer on the fly, unless you find another person with the exact same setup.

And by exact, I don't mean just 1998 C43 with your springs/shocks. This includes option packages, any aftermarket car stereo equipment, pads on the car, anything that might affect the pre-load and height on the springs. You can get a pretty good idea by seeing others with the setup, but your situation can always vary.

Method 1
One way to go about this methodically would be to measure your current ride heights and gaps at all 4 of your corners. Then, use the lowering specs on the springs to determine where your ride height and gaps will be after you put them in. Then you can use the difference in height between your existing pads and possible new pads to finalize the height that you want.

Install, let the setup settle, and with all of the variables involved, and after all that's said and done you might still want to switch to different pads.

It may involve more unknowns and you may have to go through 2 iterations, but to keep it simple, this is how I would do it:

Method 2
1. Install the new suspension setup with the pads that are already on the car, or pads thicker than what came with the car (it's easier on a daily basis, to deal with a car that's too high than one that's too low)

2. Let it settle

3. If, after a week of driving it looks too high, or too low...change pads accordingly

4. Let it settle

5. Get an alignment

98c43
04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
:D thanks guys you helped me out a lot.:beard: :cool: :D :) ;)

vbrock1137
04-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Don't necessarily rely on the specs that Vogtland gives though, when I put mine in the rear dropped 1.5" rather than 1".