PDA

View Full Version : Puller or pusher electric fan??????

memochen
04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi, I am going to change my fan clutch for an electric fan to see what happens with the temp and power.
Can any of you tell me if I need a pusher or a puller electric fan??? I have a C36. Sorry if its a stupid question but Im confuse. I think I need the puller fan because its between the radiator and the engine.
Do you think Im going to have benefits with this arrangement.
Thanks

MrSpace
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
I plan on doing this also, by using the SLK230's fan for my C230k

I don't understand pulley or pusher, I mean a fan has a flow from one side to the other, your goal is to flow from the front to the back of the car, no?

Etienne

memochen
04-26-2005, 04:29 PM
yes that's why I think I need a puller fan, I am confuse because in this page http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/low-profile-electric.html they have puller and pusher fans so i think the pusher is the one that goes in front, and the puller goes in the midle of the engine and the radiator. its that right???

Thanks

MrSpace
04-26-2005, 05:00 PM
after some research, you are right

"A puller fan mounts on the engine side of the radiator and pulls the air through the radiator core. A pusher fan mounts on the front bumper side of the engine, pushing the air through the radiator core. A puller fan is 20% more efficient than a pusher fan. "

Etienne

memochen
04-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Ok i am going to try that , do you think i gonna have good results with the temp and power on my car

Thanks

MrSpace
04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
well that fan is only used in trafic and slow speed AFAIK

so it should be fine

for power, I don't know, dyno it!!!

Etienne

Ashkan's C280
04-26-2005, 06:07 PM
how much do these cost? and do they really gain much power....?

memochen
04-26-2005, 06:27 PM
It cost $129 ( http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1075&prmenbr=361 )

I dont now the gain in power, I hope 10 hps or more. and lower temp on my c36.

jnenad16
04-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by memochen
It cost $129 ( http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1075&prmenbr=361 )

those wont fit. I tried those on my C280. the usable radiator area was a bit shorter.

nenad

CKlasse
04-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by memochen

You mean.... you won't loose 10hp :)

NISMOPOWERED
04-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Because the cars run a fan clutch I really dont think you will gain any power. When the car is cool the fan just free wheels with no real resistance. You will be able to control when it comes on thru.

MrSpace
04-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't really know how the viscuous coupling works, but I'm pretty sure removing this from the shaft would help, no?

Etienne

jnenad16
04-27-2005, 04:52 PM
installing a high power electric fan wont make any difference IMO. fan clutch puts little stress on the engine, however electric fan will put about the same amount of stress on the engine through the alternator because the alternator will have to work harder, ie more resistance to the belt drive, to recharge the battery every time the fan goes off. this is probably the main reason why I gave up from this mod, of course finding a fan that would fit and is powerful enough was another reason.

nenad

Sulaco
05-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I've thought of doing this same mod as well. When I first got my car, it seemed as if my fan clutch was NEVER engaged and the car ran quietly and smoothly at all times. The serpentine belt shredded once and threads ruined my fan clutch (causing it to be engaged at all times). I replaced it, but now it still seems to be engaged nearly all the time. Once the car has been running at moderate RPM's for 10 minutes or so, the fan clutch slowly dies down and goes away. But the minute I reach a red light and idle for a second, the fan clutch engages all over again and takes forever to disengage. Even in the dead of winter it has the exact same behavior.

I simply want this mod so my car isn't so DAMN LOUD all the time. When driving on campus or in the city it's louder than a Dodge Cummins. Plus, I can certainly feel a difference in power when the fan clutch is engaged and disengaged.

jnenad16
05-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Sulaco
I've thought of doing this same mod as well. When I first got my car, it seemed as if my fan clutch was NEVER engaged and the car ran quietly and smoothly at all times. The serpentine belt shredded once and threads ruined my fan clutch (causing it to be engaged at all times). I replaced it, but now it still seems to be engaged nearly all the time. Once the car has been running at moderate RPM's for 10 minutes or so, the fan clutch slowly dies down and goes away. But the minute I reach a red light and idle for a second, the fan clutch engages all over again and takes forever to disengage. Even in the dead of winter it has the exact same behavior.

I simply want this mod so my car isn't so DAMN LOUD all the time. When driving on campus or in the city it's louder than a Dodge Cummins. Plus, I can certainly feel a difference in power when the fan clutch is engaged and disengaged.
fan clutch should not make any noise while engaged. also, how does a shredded belt make fan clutch work differently? if it makes so much noise while working, the noise might actually be coming from the bearing bracket. but if you feel like changing to electric fan, go ahead give it a try.

nenad

Sulaco
05-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Well the belt was the car's original belt. It was VERY old and the threads inside it were exposed. When the belt came apart, alot of those threads ripped out and got wrapped up and entagled at the back of the fan clutch. And as the engine spun, the threads wound themselves tighter and tighter and dug their way deep down into the clutch itself, causing it to engage. I took it out and tried to remove the threads, but they had been wound in so tight, it was ruined. I should make an audio recording of my engine reving with the fan clutch engaged/disengaged. It's LOUD. It's not the sound of dying bearings or anything wearing out, it's the sound of the big fan turning high RPM's that I'm hearing. I'll come up with some way to record it.

mayagman
05-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Fan Clutch? It looks to me like there is a crank extension protruding from the front of the block. So this fan is not spinning powered all the time? Mine looks like its just bolted to the crank, as when you watch it it looks like moving relative to engine speed..
Maybe it is different on a C280 vice a C36?

jnenad16
05-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by mayagman
Fan Clutch? It looks to me like there is a crank extension protruding from the front of the block. So this fan is not spinning powered all the time? Mine looks like its just bolted to the crank, as when you watch it it looks like moving relative to engine speed..
Maybe it is different on a C280 vice a C36?
yours has a fan clutch as well. the plastic fan blade is connected to the fan clutch and the fan cluthc is bolted to the bearing bracket that the pulley is bolted to as well.

nenad