PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust Soon

speedybenz
01-02-2003, 08:20 PM
I am going to have a new exhaust fabricated soon. I am going to replace the rear cats with high flow units and then have what is basically a muffler where the resonator is, but this muffler will be just a empty case with a volume of about 500 cubic inches. It's called an Exhaust Wave Termination Box

Exiting the this box will be dual 2.5" pipes that will run to the rear of the car and flow thru 2 Magnaflow mufflers with 2.5" straight thru cores.

The exhaust wave termination box lets the motor think that the exhaust flow has left the exhaust system and by keeping a high flow piping and mufflers to the back of this box will keep backpressure to near zero levels.

I am expecting good sound and good Hp improvement.

JEff

nokia8860
01-02-2003, 09:14 PM
what cats are you looking at?

714guy
01-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Jeff

Wow, that great. I want to get a new exhuast system too. can you post pics of when you do it. How do you know which muffler to get and how big of piping to go??

Also do you know af anything that will quiet down an exhaust system without killing performance. I already have an 18in resinator on the system and its still really loud. This is for my friends car its an V6 Accord but sounds like a fixed up camero.

Thanks

willpower
01-03-2003, 05:52 PM
The exhaust wave termination box lets the motor think that the exhaust flow has left the exhaust system and by keeping a high flow piping and mufflers to the back of this box will keep backpressure to near zero levels

I alwalys thought that one would want some backpressure on a naturally aspirated car for the low-end? Or are you going for a racing setup?

speedybenz
01-03-2003, 06:13 PM
The backpressure thing is false. For good low end and top end you want an exhaust to do the best job it can and that means low to no backpressure and good scavenging.

If the exhaust works much better it my be possible that the cam timiing needs to be changed to take advantage of the better exhaust system.

The size of the exhaust termination box and mufflers are determined by the engine size and power output.

I will provide pics when its done. I hope to have it done in about 2 weeks. Waiting for Spintech mufflers to make the exhaust term box.

Jeff

Brabus
01-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Any progress or pics?

CKlasse
01-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Need updates please. I am interested

speedybenz
01-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Spintech mufflers is making andsending out the exhaust termination box this week and when I get that I will be able to put the exhaust system on.

So it will not be much longer. Pics for sure.

Jeff

CKlasse
01-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Speedy,

You seem to have great knowledge and experience in performance tuning.. you should post your progress including what you have done to your Merc in the past in the Gallery section. I surely would love to hear about them.

svt ricco
01-28-2008, 04:46 PM
i know this is an old thread but i just got a new (used) muffler. any updates? iwanted to learn more about our exhaust system. thanks!