PDA

View Full Version : is it worth having wheel locks?

C280Rookie
05-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Need advice again guys,

Is it worthwhile to put wheel locks on your aftermarket rims, or are they just a waste of money?
I believe that the only locks available are those you buy at the MB dealers.
Thanks once again.

jnolte
05-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Do you park in a garage?

Do you live in a bad area?

Is you car unattended for long periods of time?

Do you have aftermarket wheels?

Are they quality wheels that someone acually wants to take?

CKlasse
05-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by C280Rookie
Need advice again guys,

Is it worthwhile to put wheel locks on your aftermarket rims, or are they just a waste of money?
I believe that the only locks available are those you buy at the MB dealers.
Thanks once again.

Yes, they are worthed on aftermarket rims. You can get wheel locks at any major wheel shops.

jnolte
05-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Yes, they are worthed on aftermarket rims. You can get wheel locks at any major wheel shops.

yo ken

any word on my SS door sills?

C280Rookie
05-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Do you park in a garage?

Do you live in a bad area?

Is you car unattended for long periods of time?

Do you have aftermarket wheels?

Are they quality wheels that someone acually wants to take?

Jnolte
Thanks for your reply.
Right now, my car isn't garaged, just on the driveway.
Fortunately, I live in a quiet neighborhood in Simi Valley. (Used to be in Torrance,CA).
I just put AMG 17s. So, I'm not sure if they're that much in-demand.

C280Rookie
05-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Thanks.

I have tried America's Tire, and they told me I have to special order those wheel locks at MB dealerships.

Which other wheel shops would carry such wheel locks?

CKlasse
05-05-2005, 03:02 PM
America's Tire = tire shop that sells wheels. :p

There got to be a custom wheel shop around your place.

JNOLTE: if you havent got them, call me 720 982 5732

jnolte
05-05-2005, 03:38 PM
America's Tire = tire shop that sells wheels. :p

There got to be a custom wheel shop around your place.

JNOLTE: if you havent got them, call me 720 982 5732

Ken
called, no answer, i left a message, just call back the number 425 445 3168

Superpnoy
05-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by C280Rookie
Need advice again guys,

Its like saying...would i be really pissed/sad if my rims get jacked...if yah than get em =]

i spent an extra what few dollars for wheel locks...its better than getting something jacked thats worth alot

Kswiss
05-05-2005, 03:47 PM
wheel locks or no wheel locks, if someone really wanted to steal your rims, they can.
17" amg's..doubt it..

vbrock1137
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of 'em. My brother stripped the face of one of the bolts on his W202 just enough so the key would slide off when trying to turn it, almost had to drill the damn thing out. Took it to a mechanic, eventually an impact wrench did the trick. They came from TireRack, not sure how quality they were.

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Kswiss
wheel locks or no wheel locks, if someone really wanted to steal your rims, they can.
17" amg's..doubt it.. agreed...all thats needed is 2 basic everyday tools that every1 can get, to leave you on your rotors depending on your wheels...

C280Rookie
05-05-2005, 07:16 PM
thank you guys for all your input.
i will look for other wheel shops nearby and ask for their wheel locks.

solodough
05-05-2005, 07:54 PM
www.pure-motorsport.com has two different sets available. [click here] (http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/category.php/CA=50/PA=10)

CKlasse
05-06-2005, 05:33 AM
The whole point is to deter theft -- nothing can really stop it. If a $20 lock set can give them hard time, it's $20 unwasted. :)

C280Rookie
05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
The whole point is to deter theft -- nothing can really stop it. If a $20 lock set can give them hard time, it's $20 unwasted. :)

I agree. Thanks CKlasse.

Incidentally, would you know off hand what size lugs 202s have?
I am not sure whether it's 12mm x 1.5? or 14mm X 1.5?(whatever it is)
Thanks again

Superpnoy
05-06-2005, 04:20 PM

couldnt have put it better myself...good one Cklasse! :bunny:

Brabus
05-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Different people have theories on this... some say it's definitely a deterrant.

Others say it's best NOT to have wheel locks because either 1) they'll jack the crap outta your car in order to get the wheel off finally, or 2) if they can't get it off, they'll just start breaking things on your car...

sleek_benzo
05-09-2005, 11:57 AM
lol.. i doubt 20 bucks will set you back any..

but as said before.. no matter what kind of anti-theft device you have.. if someone really wants to steal it.. they will..

just do it!

!!!!!NJ Drive
05-09-2005, 12:22 PM
The whole point is to deter theft -- nothing can really stop it. If a $20 lock set can give them hard time, it's $20 unwasted. :) it can also give you a hard time if you dont have that lock key handy & a flat tire...i know it happend to me

MikeL
05-14-2005, 09:48 PM
I wouldnt be so paranoid about stock AMG wheels. Wheel locks are overrated. If someone wants your wheels, they are going to scope your car out and plan it out. Wheel locks can be easily taken off without having/using the key if you know what you're doing. If someone is going to go through the trouble of lifting up your car to steal your wheels, wheel locks will not stop them. They would just come prepared to break off the locks, which can be done in no time.

r0csfinest
05-14-2005, 10:15 PM
How do you take wheel locks off? My friend lost his key on his m3.

MikeL
05-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Where are you located? You can take it to a reputable shop and have them take a look at it. Some shops will have a variety of wheel lock keys and can try to use one they have. Or they can break them off for you.

r0csfinest
05-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Do you know how you would go about breaking it off? We tryed some shops but they didnt have the key and neither did the dealership

estrellajon
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by r0csfinest
Do you know how you would go about breaking it off? We tryed some shops but they didnt have the key and neither did the dealership

to take off a wheel lock without a key is having a special socket that you hammer on to create a groove and it tightens as you turn counter clockwise using an impact wrench or portable one.