PDA

View Full Version : car just..wanted to die

wompwomp61
05-05-2005, 03:48 PM
just normally driving this morning the car started bogging as if it was out of gas. the low fuel light had JUST gone out about two minutes prior so I knew I still had two gallons left. I couldnt turn around anywhere and I was forced to go up this huge hill of which no matter how much I floored it and kept the pedal to the floor the car was slowing down. I finally got to the top of the hill at 10 mph and did a u-turn.

i went back down the hill and stopped at a parking lot. the car wanted to die when it was in drive so i put it into neutral and it idled fine. put it back into drive and it bogged a little and died.

i got out checked my oil because i'm overdue by 1,200 miles for an oil change. (i know) all of it was there..very dirty..but there.

i got back in the car and turned it on and it was fine. i drove to the gas station, filled up a little..drove to school and drove home with no problems.

its a 94 c220 with 67,000 miles. I think I need a MAS because sometimes I turn it on and it just dies. Then I need to crank it and give it gas to start..and every so often while at a light or just stopped the rpm's will jump up a few hundred.

a few days ago i ran a fuel cleaner in the tank. one of those three dollar ones from walmart or a gas station. it said to do so with a full tank.

right before filling up I put another fuel cleaner in there of which it said to do on a nearly empty tank.

I have no idea why this happened. Any suggestions??

martattack
05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Fuel filter might be the culprit as well. I'd recommend starting by replacing the cheapest parts first! MAS is pretty expensive, but could also be a reason it's bogging down. If you know someone else with a C220, see if they'll let you swap the MAS with their good one and see if that fixes the problem.

Martin

wompwomp61
05-05-2005, 09:28 PM
can you list the things i should check in order?

i guess mas last? i actually know of one friend who has a semi-wrecked c220 i can find out if i can use his. but the thing with this is that it would take a long time to see if thats whats wrong. the idle problem only happens once in a while.

i noticed if i turn the car on and off a lot in a short period it'll crank but not start until i crank and give it gas.

but i dont understand why what happened this morning happened.

BENS_C36
05-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Are you having problems starting? Mine died a couple time in park and drive, but was fine in neutral. If it starts in neutral fine, it could be your neutral safety switch failing.... try searching for neutral safety switch

davis449
05-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Could definitely be the MAS. My car had the same issue with starting and being bogged down for a long time and the dealer replaced the MAS and it was fine.

wompwomp61
05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by BENS_C36
Are you having problems starting? Mine died a couple time in park and drive, but was fine in neutral. If it starts in neutral fine, it could be your neutral safety switch failing.... try searching for neutral safety switch

like i said sometimes when i start it it just automatically dies. and most times when its cold and i go to start it ( morning..after school) it'll turn on..drop to about 400 rpm and feel like its going to stall and then shoot up to abotu 2,100 rpm. this is all with me only turning the car on.

davis449
05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
That really sounds like the symptoms I had when my MAS went.

wompwomp61
05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
okay..so it happened again tonight. i was racin around town with a buddy of mine..and it did it. i was flooring it and i wasnt really moving. i was doing about 80 and floored it to kick down and it wouldnt go. then when i came to a stop the whole thing was shaking again like it was a cammed 350 chevy.

turned the car off and on and it was fine. no more heavy foot driving for me.

this help any??

swank
05-08-2005, 10:14 PM
You dont try to use your auto like its a stick do ya? lol

(being it is automatic tranny right?)

davis449
05-09-2005, 06:27 AM
I had the shaking thing too, but not with the MAS. Mine was a bad tank of gas. Have you noticed this problem only after the last time you filled up? If so, my dealer told me to fill up with a tank of 89 octane and then go back to premium. This solved my issue.