PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked the Suspension

loudandheard
05-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I have a 96 c220. I had an accident recently where the passenger side wheel hit the curb. I have to have the steering wheel to the left for the car to drive straight. I took the car to be checked out, and the guy told me that there were 8 suspension parts that needed to be replaced and it would cost 3 grand. I was wondering what parts would be needed to be replaced and if it would be posible to do it myself do it myself?

Renn 208
05-10-2005, 04:32 PM
could you take pictures of the damage, esp of the underside?

Alternatively, can you list the 8 parts that are needed (part numbers are always helpful) and the quote for the parts and time?

Sorry about your misfortune, hopfully you can get everything sorted without having to sell a kidney.

r0csfinest
05-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Same thing happened to me. I hit the curb when it was snowing. Had the steering wheel to the right. Dealership told me it would cost $2,400 to fix. And they named like 5 parts that needed to be replaced. I suggest getting a second opinion. They told me I needed to replace my toe link, upper control arm, lower control arm and spindle.

BTW How fast were you going when you hit the curb? I was going like 5 mph :(

loudandheard
05-10-2005, 04:56 PM
I was going considerably fast when I hit the curb, I also did some damage to the bumper and fender. The guy did not tell me the name of the parts. I was hoping someone could let me know what parts I would need to consider buying. I was hoping to try and fix it myself, I have a shop available to me and many tools. I won't be able to get photos on until tomorrow.

fastmayte
05-10-2005, 06:40 PM
i was going 50 drifting when i hit the curb. bent one rear link that i hammered out same day :). front all good.

ppl make the mistake of braking when hitting the curb which messes up teh suspension even more. just let the wheels roll and face them toward the curb (not side ways) and it wown't do 80% of the damage :)

r0csfinest
05-10-2005, 06:45 PM
^ I wish I knew that earlier

fastmayte
05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
sorri dude, i know how it hurts. i broke the oilpan when i hit the curb :(.

but u can go to a junkyard ( www.car-part.com to find one in your area) and see if u can get a suspension for one side

the center tierod assembly is 100 bcks shipped on ebay. easy stuff to put on, mechnic shouldn't charge more than 100 to install full suspension per side.

98c43amg
05-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by loudandheard
I have a 96 c220. I had an accident recently where the passenger side wheel hit the curb. I have to have the steering wheel to the left for the car to drive straight. I took the car to be checked out, and the guy told me that there were 8 suspension parts that needed to be replaced and it would cost 3 grand. I was wondering what parts would be needed to be replaced and if it would be posible to do it myself do it myself?

It cost me over 5 Grand when I did that...:embarr: at least you could drive your car away.

69chevelle
05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Yep same to me, I hit a high center island curb while making a left turn on a dark city street...didn't even see the damn thing! I thought the alignment was off a little so when I took it into the tire place they told me it was off more than 2 degrees!!

Price came to $2,400 total parts and labor for that whole control arm suspension thingy.. Total rip off.. I had the stealership do it... I could have done the insurance route, but it would have costed me even more during the next 5 years!

Now I get a creaking noise every now and then when I turn left into an uphill driveway going 2 mph. I dont think they can ever adjust it the same way it used to be.

Another story... I was driving in L.A. going on the 405 freeway onramp at night. I was doing about 70 while merging on.. They make those curb dividers go for miles before you can switch lanes and the curb is already black colored from all the other people hitting it with their tires...I almost didn't see it and quickly jerked the steering wheel back right and swerved my car to stay in the onramp lane... I was impressed with how the w202 regained control without spinning out or crashing.. If I was in my Pathfinder or Cadillac...I would have flipped and crashed!

fastmayte
05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 69chevelle
Cadillac...I would have flipped and crashed!

bahahahahahah

69chevelle
05-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm talking about my 2004 sts...that car cannot handle like in the Matrix or Bad Boys movies!

JRE320
05-15-2005, 12:12 AM
The only killer is the labor itself. All other parts are affordable.

merc_lover
06-07-2005, 05:31 AM
this exact thing happened to me... well my mother.. she crashed into a parked car and tore the right wheel off (apparently the wheel crashed first against another wheel) so they had to replace EVERYTHING!, joints, bushings, arms, disc, caliper, steering damper, steering arm, steering COLUMN! the list is LARGE and this is just the begining cos apparently the crash bent the chassis so they have to strip the car and put it on a machine to unbend the chassis back... total for all this is over $6000 plus labor i guess...

im soo pissed off:mad: :mad: ... well the car has been in the dealer over a month already and i've been driving one of these stupid SMART cars which cant get over 70mph.... I WANT MY 202 BACK!!!!!!

loudandheard
06-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Man that sucks. I was lucky, I found all the parts I needed really cheap and I know a professional bodyman that will straighten my frame for about a $100. I have to replace the front right fender, both doors, the front bumper, and the front right suspension and then get it all painted. I think it is going to cost me a little less than $2000.

r0csfinest
06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
I got my car fixed a couple weeks ago for $1,100 and everything is fine :D

loudandheard84
06-24-2005, 05:41 PM
I have some pictures of what happened to the vehicle. i have currently replaced the front right suspension and now I am in the process of replacing the doors. I'm doing it myself because they quoted me $3000 parts and labor alone for the rugith front suspension. I did it myslef for less than $250. Just click on the linkhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/1855532/3