PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converter and motor mounts recommendations needed

redc36
05-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone
i am thinking replacing my catalytic converter. was wondering which one would fit a 95 c36. i found an online store which sells them pretty cheap but i dont know if its direct fit.

http://www.justmagnaflow.com/CatalyticConverters.htm

they have RACE series as well as regular ones. whats the difference between them? does anyone tried them on their cars? does it add few Hp?

Reading through posts i see CKlasse deals with catalytic converter? how are they different from the ones in the link above?

also i was wondering if there are performance motor and tranny mounts for I6 since mine a kaput and the only choice i am finding are OEM mounts.

NISMOPOWERED
05-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm going to guess you haven't looked under your car! You have two right next to each other and then the pipes come out and merge into one pipe the go to the first resonator. I think this might cost you some as I dont think any universal ones will fit.

redc36
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
i think CKlasse knows more about it cause he might have dealt with it

it would be really appreciated if he can post a reply here

NISMOPOWERED
05-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Ill say the factory exhaust is nice but I cringe about replacement cats. And mine didnt do to well on the last smog test.

CKlasse
05-13-2005, 08:03 PM
C36 needs at least a single 94009. You have to rebuild the exhaust from the manifold back to install those. I can rebuild your cat depending on where you are located.

I have done one on a C36 - instead of 3 layer cats, we used only 2 layers. You will pass emission and decrease the backpressure by upto 40%. C36 needs at least .5psi backpressure.

redc36
05-14-2005, 09:27 AM
thanks CKlasse for prompt response

i am located in NYC. So if i understand correctly rebuilding involves replacing them with 94009?

how long does it take to rebuild old cats?
Do you sell already premade c36 cats that can be swapped out by a local exhaust/muffler shop? how much is it if so?

also does a well working catalytic increases fuel milage. b/c i am getting 200-220 miles out of tank. kinda low. dont get me wrong i like aggressive driving sometimes but its still kinda low. i did my both oxygen sensors, my spark plugs got maybe 10k miles on them (i have oems), k&n filter, magnacor wires. no CEL light. i ordered BG fuel/injector system cleaner so maybe that will help but really i dont know what else to replace. plus my car after spirited driving smells like something burned when i get out of it.
i got new front brakes so maybe the rears are doing that. like for example after flying on the highway 100mph then getting off and coming to a light if i open windows i can smell like something is burned.

111k miles on my car

CKlasse
05-15-2005, 02:14 PM
RedC36,

First of all, catalytic converters don't simply break down. There got to be a cause to it. In your case, it seems that you have a drippy injectors hence the rich AFR. The rotten egg smell is from the burnt HC. Excessive burnt off will crack/melt your stock cat.

I would make sure the car is running at 100% first, then work on the catalytic converter.

So far, whenever I go with an aftermarket high flow cat on a c36, the car always looses some HP (better Torque). I haven't run into too many C36 to figure out the right setup.

However, I rebuild Sam's C36 Stock Cat with two layer catacomb, and so far that has been the best setup.

Call me with any question 720 982 5732.

Thanks

speedybenz
05-17-2005, 08:31 PM
CKlasse,

Do you think that the power decrease you are seeing is due to the ECU not having fully adaptived to the new exhaust. I know when I put my exhaust on it took almost a week or two for the power to come around and really start to a noticable increase in torque and Hp.

Just a thought. What have you seen. Am I just confused, or maybe my Butt Dyno is off.

Jeff

CKlasse
05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Jeff,

Sam drove his for a few months. Torquier, but definately hp lost. Again, since the car has never been to the shop, I cannot really tune it.

Most C43s, I have done, gained high end HP right away. The low and mid range came in later on, as you said, once the ecu adjusts itself.

The system we built for the 43s has 0psi of backpressure upto 4300rpm. Then it starts build up upt .5psi.

CKlasse
05-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Jeff

BTW, I never followed up with you. You ever received the goodies?

Ashkan's C280
05-21-2005, 10:30 PM
ken can you email me illnodlii@aol.com I have exhaust questions, prices setups, and installs...