PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for security/ remote start system

macaroni
05-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Hello all, I'm going off to college in 3 weeks (woohoo!) and I need a better car security system preferrably with remote start. The features I want: long-ass-range, remote start, "bump detection", those are the major things I need. This is for a 1999 C230K

Thanks

martattack
05-15-2005, 05:45 PM
You can't go wrong with Clifford or Viper alarms. They are some of the best in the business. Ungo alarms are pretty nice too, and pretty well known for having long distance.

Do you want an alarm that pages the remote when it goes off too?

Do you have the SmartKey? I think it is VERY difficult, if not impossible to install remote start with the infra red smart key.

What college are you going to?

neema12
05-15-2005, 05:58 PM
When I looked into getting an alarm for my car, a 95 c220, I narrowed it down to the clifford rsx 3.5, it was close with a viper, which were the same except the remote colors. I never got the alarm because I had other more important places to spend my money. There are some lower brand name alarms that are just as good or even better than DEI brand alarms for much less, but its hard to find a place to install them because they dont want to touch anything thats not DEI. I suggest the rsx 3.5. Whats your budget?

neema12
05-15-2005, 06:00 PM
The clifford rsx 3.5 and viper 791vx go for around $200 - $250 on ebay, new.

JDoggery
05-15-2005, 06:08 PM
i've also looked into alarms before. the rsx 3.5 is a very good one. clifford has a new one, i think the rsx 5 or something that was released at this past years ces that has like a mile range or something. good luck running back to your car when you get paged for that one, hehe. as far as brands many are the same, just with a different name. on remote start, i haven't come across anyone who has one where they have the smart key. some say they do, but i'll believe it when i see proof. also, try a search on this forum and the others for more alarm info. there's tons out there man.

overall, you should be fine with your stock alarm, depending on where you live. just don't bump in bad areas or where you live, if your on campus, so people don't know what you have. also, remember to take out your faceplate and not leave anything that will make the thief break your window.

heres a link from benzworld on viper alarms

Viper Alarms (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1207048&posts=30&fid=12)

neema12
05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
overall, you should be fine with your stock alarm, depending on where you live. just don't bump in bad areas or where you live, if your on campus, so people don't know what you have. also, remember to take out your faceplate and not leave anything that will make the thief break your window.

This is part the reason I didnt get an alarm too. If someone wants what I have, they will get it. I have an older viper alarm with just open and close feature and 1 siren. I added 4 pizero sirens when I had my stereo in the car. You couldent think with these sirens in your face it was so loud, they made single tone high freq screams.

Just becareful where you bump and dont show anything that someone would want. Simple as that.

martattack
05-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I have go along with the RSX 3.5 It is the same alarm that I have. Works great, good range, remote paging, remote start...etc got it for just under $200 on eBay, and I installed it myself.

macaroni
05-15-2005, 07:32 PM
I do have the smart key, so does anyone know if it is possible to do it with the smart key somehow? Also, my pioneer faceplate didn't come w/ a case, what would you suggest putting it in when I'm out of the car?

KenzBenz
05-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by BoominBenz
I have go along with the RSX 3.5 It is the same alarm that I have. Works great, good range, remote paging, remote start...etc got it for just under $200 on eBay, and I installed it myself.
how hard is the install? no DIY??? hehe

martattack
05-16-2005, 01:32 AM
I'll try and post up the wire colors and locations.. etc.

adelaros
05-16-2005, 03:58 AM
I am sure a I getting a alarm..

I spened 3 hours yesturday at the police station placing a report.. Some AS_H__L broke my front passanger window and stold the face plate of my Pionner CD/MP3/WMA player.. No only that.. they scratch the leather seat with the broken glass.. I a verry Pi..off

JDoggery
05-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by adelaros
I am sure a I getting a alarm..

I spened 3 hours yesturday at the police station placing a report.. Some AS_H__L broke my front passanger window and stold the face plate of my Pionner CD/MP3/WMA player.. No only that.. they scratch the leather seat with the broken glass.. I a verry Pi..off

this really wont stop them if they still want what they see. don't leave them anything in sight that is worth stealing.

davis449
05-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I have a Prestige by Audiovox and I like it. It has the option for remote start, but I didn't get it. Damn thing has like a 1000 ft. range on it.

macaroni
05-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Btw, I'm attending UNR (University of Nevada: Reno) , I start June 6th... woo!

JDoggery
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by macaroni
Btw, I'm attending UNR (University of Nevada: Reno) , I start June 6th... woo!

no summer, that suks. good luck man, but have some fun up there too.

djdoughboy
05-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by KenzBenz
how hard is the install? no DIY??? hehe

its not hard at all man... i can help you if you want...

macaroni... we are coming up to visit you this summer so be ready to party...

Sean