PDA

View Full Version : Three piece wheel question

gr8t1hex
05-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Does anyone know or guide me in the right direction on how much torque I should apply when i'm re-assembling a three piece wheel. I'm taking them apart to get the centers powder coated but I want to make sure I can put them back together right. Any help would be appreciated.

VIP_MBZ
05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Make sure the face has seated correctly, and then it should be no more than 15 or so ft-lbs. if theres about 20+ bolts all the way around. If less, then probably a little more. The torque is distributed.

-Ray

gr8t1hex
05-17-2005, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I counted 40 bolts. Am i correct in assuming that I should tighten them in an opposite sequence like across from each other.

VIP_MBZ
05-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by gr8t1hex
Thanks for the info. I counted 40 bolts. Am i correct in assuming that I should tighten them in an opposite sequence like across from each other.

Yep, that will help it seat evenly.

-Ray

gr8t1hex
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
well got my wheels in and I have a major problem...the front wheel won't clear my AMG caliper...ouch. Now here is the problem I mesured the distance I would need to clear the caliper and it seems like i'll need a 10mm spacer. The rim is an 18x 8.5 offset is 33. 10mm more would make that a 23 offset..that would be ridiculous looking right..? what was on there before were 18x8.5 offset 31 and they barely cleared the caliper. Any sugestions besides selling the wheels? I'm pissed....

Denlasoul
05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Sounds like it's the shape of the wheel face. Are you sure 10mm will give you the clearance? Can you get away with something much smaller?

VIP_MBZ
05-19-2005, 06:09 AM
well got my wheels in and I have a major problem...the front wheel won't clear my AMG caliper...ouch. Now here is the problem I mesured the distance I would need to clear the caliper and it seems like i'll need a 10mm spacer. The rim is an 18x 8.5 offset is 33. 10mm more would make that a 23 offset..that would be ridiculous looking right..? what was on there before were 18x8.5 offset 31 and they barely cleared the caliper. Any sugestions besides selling the wheels? I'm pissed....

You must have missed my previous discussion regarding brake fitment. =)

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6859

I reiterate, offset has nothing to do with brake clearance. NOTHING. Your case in point.

-Ray

gr8t1hex
05-19-2005, 06:25 AM
Yep I should've researched it a little more before buying them.They fit with a 15mm spacer but stick out too much for my taste. I tried them on my friends c280 and the fit perfect...damn those AMG calipers. I'm going to put them on ebay. Thanks for the info Ray, I really appreciated your help.

VIP_MBZ
05-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by gr8t1hex
Yep I should've researched it a little more before buying them.They fit with a 15mm spacer but stick out too much for my taste. I tried them on my friends c280 and the fit perfect...damn those AMG calipers. I'm going to put them on ebay. Thanks for the info Ray, I really appreciated your help.

What are the calipers like on the C36, btw? Are they the same as C32?

-Ray

gr8t1hex
05-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Don't have a clue but I think the caliper itself is larger than a c32s. My friend has a z06 vette and my caliper is equal in size to his from just looking at them side by side.