PDA

View Full Version : Rieger Tuning Kit MELTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CKlasse
06-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Ok,

I was waiting for the turbo, downpipe, catback, and tips installation which is scheduled next week. Meanwhile I thought I would drop off the C to a buddy's bodyshop for lower body paint job.

Once I got there, I notice that the lower part of the exhaust opening on the rear apron almost melted away. WTF?! Stock muffler does point downward toward that perticular part, but I didn't drive my car hard. Is ABS plastic really that low of heat resistant? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Imagine what it would do to the Carbon Fiber muffler tips!

few more things have went wrong since two weeks ago when I started this.... will post plenty of pictures!

I am $1200 over right now... might have to compromise many of the future mods :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :bored:

pnsji
06-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Ok,

I was waiting for the turbo, downpipe, catback, and tips installation which is scheduled next week. Meanwhile I thought I would drop off the C to a buddy's bodyshop for lower body paint job.

Once I got there, I notice that the lower part of the exhaust opening on the rear apron almost melted away. WTF?! Stock muffler does point downward toward that perticular part, but I didn't drive my car hard. Is ABS plastic really that low of heat resistant? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Imagine what it would do to the Carbon Fiber muffler tips!

few more things have went wrong since two weeks ago when I started this.... will post plenty of pictures!

I am $1200 over right now... might have to compromise many of the future mods :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :bored:

Maybe the exhaust is too close to the add-on lip?
Polyurethane is better in dealing with heat.

Luwin1026
06-30-2003, 12:37 PM
I think it is because the hot air is blowing downward directly onto the piece -

Usually, if you have a cutout where the tips go, it should be ok - but the constant blowing of hot air is probably the culprit to your melted plastic

JRE320
06-30-2003, 01:18 PM
That's weird..... I saw Luwin's kit and I don't see any problem of melt down.... :confused: :( ;)

jnolte
06-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Ouch same thing happenend to my buddies reiger kit on his Audi A4.:( :( :( :(

Deepchord
06-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Man, that bites, hard! Sorry to hear that bro. I would contact Reiger ASAP if it were me. And don't let them tell you it was "user install error" either.

Luwin1026
06-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
That's weird..... I saw Luwin's kit and I don't see any problem of melt down.... :confused: :( ;)

I think it is because the stock MB muffler points downward and blows all the hot air directly onto the add-on.

CKlasse
06-30-2003, 10:24 PM
True, the stock muffler's pipe tips are 4 inches away. I tried to cut the melted part today and patch it up with bondo. Hopefully, by tomorrow i ll be able to prep and respray it.

Kühl Carbon
07-01-2003, 02:09 AM
Imagine what it would do to the Carbon Fiber muffler tips!

That's why I told you not to try to overcoat them with anything. Special resins have to be used in a high heat app. The tips should be fine provided you didn't put anything on them. Carbon fiber won't burn ... it can't, only the resins can. High heat resins are much harder to work with in general in terms of making them look good.

Kühl Carbon
07-01-2003, 02:19 AM
BTW, if the kit is indeed ABS, it will melt. The melting point of ABS is like 375 - 400 F depending on it's specific compound and if any fillers are used.

Eurethane doesn't exactly "melt" since it is not an injection molded plastic. It is produced as a chemical reaction between two liquids. After it has had enough heat it will just "break down" making a mess. Heat will however, deform it.

ABS is much easier to repair, believe it or not as alll things stick to it quite redily. EUrethane is quite slippery and soft. Almost nothing sticks to it. Body shops have to use a very specialized two part (epoxy like) filler or "bondo" if you will to repair bumpers and even then the surface must be rough to give the mixture something to bond to.

If you look at any OEM application with a close condition between a plastic bumper and an exhaust component, you will almost surely see some type of heat sheild is used. GM has done this a lot in their Pontiac and Cadillac line. Aluminum is a great material to disapate heat for this application. You may have to fashion some type of heat sheild for your app. Let me know if you need help.

CKlasse
07-01-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Kühl Carbon
If you look at any OEM application with a close condition between a plastic bumper and an exhaust component, you will almost surely see some type of heat sheild is used. GM has done this a lot in their Pontiac and Cadillac line. Aluminum is a great material to disapate heat for this application. You may have to fashion some type of heat sheild for your app. Let me know if you need help.

Aluminum shield.... hmmm! stay tune :)

Kühl Carbon
07-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Aluminum shield.... hmmm! stay tune :)

a la DTM and functional. Yes, the real ones do serve a purpose ... they do more than looking out of place on the back of your local ricey Honda .... I don't know if any of that DTM "look" crap they sell would actually function, but the idea would be to build a real one. Aluminum is pretty maleable so you should be able to work a piece of 1/16 or maybe even 1/8 sheet stock.

nokia8860
07-01-2003, 01:55 PM
a la DTM and functional. Yes, the real ones do serve a purpose ... they do more than looking out of place on the back of your local ricey Honda .... I don't know if any of that DTM "look" crap they sell would actually function, but the idea would be to build a real one. Aluminum is pretty maleable so you should be able to work a piece of 1/16 or maybe even 1/8 sheet stock.

here is a story.

saw my friend on the freeway and he had a shield above his tips. we pull over and chat and i asked where he get it from, it was pop rivetted on for that cool factor.

he said he went to target bought a cheap toaster and used that.

i guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Kühl Carbon
07-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
... he said he went to target bought a cheap toaster ...

wow, couldn't even afford the GOOD toaster .... trajic :p :D .

You should be able to get some sheet stock off of EBAY. I have bought stainless steel that way before in a pinch although aluminum should be a whole lot easier to find locally.

CKlasse
07-01-2003, 02:18 PM
wow, couldn't even afford the GOOD toaster .... trajic :p :D .

You should be able to get some sheet stock off of EBAY. I have bought stainless steel that way before in a pinch although aluminum should be a whole lot easier to find locally.

True dat... local homedepot/lowe etc should have them. That's how i built the brackets for the kits too.

SLK Boy
07-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Just take a coke can, and cut it up! ;)

CKlasse
07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
I dont drink coke.. only sniff it
lol j/k !

c230kompresssed
09-17-2003, 10:50 PM
j/k my ass...you know you do...:bandit:

MBenzNL
09-18-2003, 04:51 AM
Any bumper will melt down when you drive around with an exhaust pointing into it...not just the Rieger lip.

The average 190 Diesel here in the Netherlands with high mileage (plenty of those) have a melted corner in the rear bumper near the exhaust as well...this is caused by the coroded/rusted/falling apart endpipe that blows into the bumper...

greetingz,

nudymeyer6
12-11-2003, 08:08 PM
hey cklass what model c-class is in the right side of your signature? and what kind of body kit does it have on it? TIA man. any performance mods?

moebiusgold
12-11-2003, 08:46 PM
I have a good one. A cheap at the time inlaw had a Maxima with a bad muffler. I told her that she really ought to get it replaced and ended up in a big argument about what a waste that would be because it isn't falling off or anthing. 2 months later the car burned to the ground because the trunk caught on fire. I was hard pressed not to laugh as she was saying " I smelled something getting hot then it started to smell real strong, like burning plastic. Then the kids and I eventyually stopped and got out becasue smoke started leaking in from the back." She might have gotten away with it but she decided to open the trunk. I did this once when I was welding on my 116. I thought, huh, I don't remeber the windows being that tinted. I had to investigate. I opened the passenger door which was just above where I was welding. Lets just say it was solid smoke for about .5 seconds. Then it was a huge orange fireball. I slamed the door shut and ran to the hose which was about 10 feet away. Too bad I had neglected to turn it on:( :( . Lets just say i managed to catch that thing on fire 2 more times, once with my wife standing there squirting water, unfortunately about 6 in. from where I had pointed. I finished and looked up to see the remenets of burning vac. hose and wire insulation raining down. That made me a little upset. She doesn't help me much on cars anymore and that was 13 years and 350K Miles ago for the 116.:cool:

CKlasse
12-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by nudymeyer6
hey cklass what model c-class is in the right side of your signature? and what kind of body kit does it have on it? TIA man. any performance mods?

It a rieger kit'd C Class

sleek_benzo
12-12-2003, 11:17 AM
of course.. abs is a really weak material... burns alot quicker that polyurethane.. but even that burns too.. best deal.. get the real stuff and have less trouble later on..

nudymeyer6
12-13-2003, 02:19 PM
so what exactly is " the real stuff?"

CKlasse
12-13-2003, 03:49 PM
All rieger kit are made by ABS. The newer rear lip is fiberglass. I am not sure what the real stuffs are. :)

Under Pressure
12-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Ok,

I was waiting for the turbo, downpipe, catback, and tips installation which is scheduled next week.

I have been to busy in school for the internet, so forgive me for being out of the loop but..., are you turbo charging your car???

CKlasse
12-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
I have been to busy in school for the internet, so forgive me for being out of the loop but..., are you turbo charging your car???

That was last summer project. Wanna buy the kit? All pipings, intercooler, T3/4 Turbo, custom injectors, modified exhaust manifold, etc etc etc. :)

jnolte
12-16-2003, 12:28 PM
That was last summer project. Wanna buy the kit? All pipings, intercooler, T3/4 Turbo, custom injectors, modified exhaust manifold, etc etc etc. :)

Cklasse y dont u just install that on ur car, that would be tight!

CKlasse
12-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Cklasse y dont u just install that on ur car, that would be tight!

It was designed and installed in my car. But I am selling the car soon.

nudymeyer6
12-16-2003, 01:13 PM
how much you selling your turbo kit for?
and how much are you selling your body kit for?

Under Pressure
12-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Sorry CKLasse, already been down the turbo'd C220 road when I had the Mosselman turbo system hooked up to the C!

CKlasse
12-17-2003, 02:03 PM
how much you selling your turbo kit for?
and how much are you selling your body kit for?

Just take the turbo away at my cost.. Let me figure out how much. And as far as the body kit, it is trashed!

nudymeyer6
12-17-2003, 02:22 PM
so however much it cost you, is how much you will sell it for? brand new hasnt been used yet, right.

CKlasse
12-17-2003, 02:48 PM
so however much it cost you, is how much you will sell it for? brand new hasnt been used yet, right.

It was on the car for a week. A good 50 miles... so :) I ll take some pictures

jnolte
12-17-2003, 03:09 PM
It was on the car for a week. A good 50 miles... so :) I ll take some pictures

Why did u take it off after only 50 miles?

CKlasse
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
Why did u take it off after only 50 miles?

I need new tranny :(

Dr. ///AMG
05-06-2004, 08:53 AM
OH you fucking son of a bitch! That shit melted the kit too. GAY!

So anway, today I'm taking the 202 to the muffler shop, I'm gonna have the guy use a heat gun and try to fix up the part of the bumper that's fucked, and install the exhaust. Hopefully the exhaust tips won't heat up and melt shit up.

Luwin, didn't you get the ABS addon for the back too?

That shit don't even hold by itself, Ghetto.... shop had to drill rivets, shave them, fill em up and make it smooth, because glue alone wouldnt hold it down on the sides.

Should've gone for the fiberglass one :(

PUTA!!!

Dr. ///AMG
05-06-2004, 04:12 PM
ok fixed that shit. It's nice now :) I'll post pics later.

Brabus
05-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Oh my resurfaced oldie

nudymeyer6
05-11-2004, 07:09 PM
yo dr., what does "PUTA!!!" stand for?:rolleyes:

Dr. ///AMG
05-12-2004, 12:23 AM
yo dr., what does "PUTA!!!" stand for?:rolleyes:

I don't know, I'm not Mexican. :)

nudymeyer6
05-12-2004, 06:00 PM
does anyone know what that stands for because it is really starting to bother me not knowing.

hvmercy
05-12-2004, 06:15 PM
It means "BITCH" :bandit:

nudymeyer6
05-12-2004, 06:23 PM
thank you... that brings a lot off my chest!...j/k;)