hi,
im new to this forum.
im forom New Zealand.

i have owned a
89 E230 w124 - sold
94 E280 W124 - written off
94 C280 sportline w202 - written off

ok so now you know my back ground,
in NZ it is almost impossible to find a manual merc all of mine have been auto and its starting to piss me off. i need a manual.
i have found a rather cheap 95 w202 c180 manual. now this engen is rather small i know and i guess it will be the slowest thing since every honda civic on the road? is this true does any one have a manual 180? how does it run? speed? economy? i was thinking about either turboing it or buying back the wheck of my c280 ( enegen perfect) and dropping that in, would the 180 manual box be able to handal the power of either a turbo or a 280 engen? any help would be fantastic!

oh and so you can feel my pain of my loss hers a pic of my 280. thank god i was in a benz cuz i think i would have been killed by a that jeep chroke if i was in a rice racer. ps in NZ we drive on the right hand side so yeah that massiv imapct went into me!!

thanks for any help
hagan

ok i have no idea how to put up a pic but lets just say the B pillar on the drivers side was 200mm into the car, in inches like 8ish i think!

05-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Hey welcome here.

You'll find other nice Guys from New Zeland.

Mine is a manual but kompressor engine with 192HP.

I've never driven a manual C180 but I'm quite sure, and I've read around that it's a good car but without any vain desire to race on the street. Further benz manual gearbox (may be the newer are better) are not very good (slow).

If you want a manual look for a kompressor at least, considering you are used to a 280:) engine.

As far as conversion of the auto C280 to a manual, for sure it's possible but a lot of waste of money.

FYI here (Italy) the C280 were available also with manual, plus search on the forum there should be also some photo of an AMG conversion to a manual. But, again, it's a lot of money.

Better a factoru manual with kompressor, I belive someone here (kwik?) own already one, may be imported!?

Hope to help:)

got_wake
05-24-2005, 01:25 AM
hey thanks for that yeah my car got written off 3 days ago so i got a bit of time to wait for a good one to come up but yeah was on the net lookin for c classes in NZ and out off that there was 3 manuals 2 180's. for around just under 10g for 95 models and one 230k 99' but that hound pushin above 30g and i dont have that sort of money. i prob gonna get paid out 16-18g. and to be honest after writting off my 280 i cant say im after mega speed. my sister has a 220 and i drive that a bit alot now due to my lack of car and its not to bad i mean it aint no letha road rocket but its not bad. so if i could find a 220 or 240 manual would be mint. any one own a 220, 240 manual that could tell me how well it goes?

thanks
hagan

mayagman
05-24-2005, 08:38 AM
I drove a C280 here that had a manual from an older benz custom installed. I think it was an older 300 series benz. He mated it up, but it may have been a custom bellhousing. I didn't get too indepth. He said he got the tranny off a wrecked benz for $800, installed it for about $1000. It seems worth it to me. I would love to see my car have a manual.

Brabus
05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
It's possible... a tuner here in America called Renntech has a kit priced crazily at $13000.

Pagz
05-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Hagan...Nice to see you made it too the forums man!!
....finally another from NZ!!
ahhh so you've compacted the benz??damn!!!!!

you will have a hard time finding a manual benz with a decsent engine here!!,it was very rare i fell over my manual 23k,infact i knew of it well over two years before i purchased,a dealers yard wouldnt trade my Evo3 for it....so i ended up getting a typeR then i sold and tracked down this hair dresser who bought the merc...after some negotiation,they sold!!lol

I know of another manual 230K,its white,without the sports kit and has cloth interior,so its a low spec model,they guy just recently sold it at auction for very cheap!!!

beware the manual in the 202 is not flash!!,And there is substaintial work in changing the engine!,you may wont too ring around a few dealers and ask if they will check stock overseas,theres bound to be a few more manuals round,its worth a shot!

and to post a pic you will need another site to host it first,like your cardomain page!.
-open the pic
-right click and open properties
-highlight the address for the pic and copy
-then use the "IMG" button to insert the pic into your thread!

heres one of your ride
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/591000-591999/591091_8_full.jpg

Regards,
Paul

c280nz
05-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey man
I too live in New Zealand :-)
and i know what u mean about hard to find a manual one, ive seen that white one for sale u talk about on trade me.
I own a New Zealand new 1994 c280 sport manual. and yes rare as fuk, there is only 2 of them in nz so u gota find the other one :-)
i bought my car off trademe in december with 135 000km in mint condition for 12k nzd from a guy from ponsonby :-)
and now its so low i had to get it certified
;)
ive seen a few c200 manual pop up every now and again so just hang fire and u may find one

Pagz
05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
lol go NZ:cool:

Welcome also to C280nz:)

hey what colour is it?might have seen it round!...

Rgrds,
Paul

c280nz
05-24-2005, 10:39 PM
hey 23k
its blue with 18" chrome wheels.
good to see another merc owner on her from nz
& a manual one, with a nice front mount i mite add :-)

The biggest problem with the manual box is that it amplifies the fact they dont have a lsd ggrrrrr :-(

by any chance are u trying to sell a twin exaust on trademe?
and did u just use a credit card to order ur rear camber arms of speedybenz? and what price did they end up in nzd to get here?

Pagz
05-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
hey 23k
its blue with 18" chrome wheels.
good to see another merc owner on her from nz
& a manual one, with a nice front mount i mite add :-)

The biggest problem with the manual box is that it amplifies the fact they dont have a lsd ggrrrrr :-(

by any chance are u trying to sell a twin exaust on trademe?
and did u just use a credit card to order ur rear camber arms of speedybenz? and what price did they end up in nzd to get here?

thanks man....
iv seen a few blues with chrome 18's!,what area of aucks are you from?
yeh the lack of LSD is a PITA!!.....

heh yip im trying to sell those twin exhausts!!how'd you know?:)

yeah i just used CC for ordering the camber arms!,fine piece of work they are too!!,its a must if your lowered.

Regards,
Paul

got_wake
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
hey c280nz, can i buy your car? heheh, no really.

iv got about 5 months that i dont need a car so i got a good time to wait for a good one to come up.

whats the manual like witha merc foot park break thats whack man iv only driven 3 maual mercs a standrd 190 and two 190 cosworths. but they all got normal hand breaks. does it take a bit to get used to the break? it must be hard doing cronic hill starts with a brak like that and a bitt of power at the rear wheels, a break thats either all on or all off.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/591000-591999/591091_10.jpg

as u can see she took a nasty hit!

c280nz
05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey got wake.
Um the biggest problem with the foot handbreak is i cant do handbrake turns :-( i havent even thought abouth hill starts to be honest :-s, i just use my right foot on both the brake and throttle.
and to work the foot throttle if u hold the lever out with ur right hand u can push it in out out freely... but its still crap.
been looking at putting in a hydrolic handbrake and still figureing out how to work as to not stuff with abs...
U go wakeboarding by any chance?

And ah 23k (paul)
um i bought it from auks, currently in chch at uni, but live in palmie north. so it doesnt live round their now.
im debating ordering those adjustable arms, and also debating geting some custom ones made similar as i know a few top engeniers who do mates rates :-s.
and i used my m8 called anto5 username to ask u those questions. i dont think i will buy them after a bit more thought, it seems a little not me, im gona go with a sortof dumpy pipe.

do those 23ks use the similar i4 as the the old c220 etc?
and on the complement front i have a folder on my comp of all the random merc photos ive saved off the net and i always show ppl ur one and say that is what i want the front of myne to look like as i have intentions to turbo! to think it was from nz :-)

and heres a pic off my fone
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52696&stc=1
(shite that was a long post)

Pagz
05-25-2005, 07:29 PM

And ah 23k (paul)
um i bought it from auks, currently in chch at uni, but live in palmie north. so it doesnt live round their now.
im debating ordering those adjustable arms, and also debating geting some custom ones made similar as i know a few top engeniers who do mates rates :-s.
and i used my m8 called anto5 username to ask u those questions. i dont think i will buy them after a bit more thought, it seems a little not me, im gona go with a sortof dumpy pipe.

do those 23ks use the similar i4 as the the old c220 etc?
and on the complement front i have a folder on my comp of all the random merc photos ive saved off the net and i always show ppl ur one and say that is what i want the front of myne to look like as i have intentions to turbo! to think it was from nz :-)

...Nice ride man thats dumped!!!!

hey,i looked into making the camber arms...and was put off by the time it was going to consume...,there is a fear amount of work in making these if you start from scratch...but post some pics if you do and let me know what it cost!
the camber arms cost me $370NZD to my door....

hey yeh i was using my fathers name from up north!....
no worries on the sale,there not really the right style for a benz!...

im not to sure about the 220 engine,i think its similar,just uses a shorter stroke and piston maybe?...

lol thanks for the complements!:cool:...im also looking to ditch my SC for a turbo....infact its the next project!(now that the 5 month way over due suspension upgrade is almost over!!)

Rgrds,
Paul

Pagz
05-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by got_wake
hey c280nz, can i buy your car? heheh, no really.

iv got about 5 months that i dont need a car so i got a good time to wait for a good one to come up.

whats the manual like witha merc foot park break thats whack man iv only driven 3 maual mercs a standrd 190 and two 190 cosworths. but they all got normal hand breaks. does it take a bit to get used to the break? it must be hard doing cronic hill starts with a brak like that and a bitt of power at the rear wheels, a break thats either all on or all off.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/591000-591999/591091_10.jpg

as u can see she took a nasty hit!

NASTY!...:eek:.... and how much damage did you take?

c280nz
05-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 23K
hey,i looked into making the camber arms...and was put off by the time it was going to consume...,there is a fear amount of work in making these if you start from scratch...but post some pics if you do and let me know what it cost!
the camber arms cost me $370NZD to my door....

hey yeh i was using my fathers name from up north!....
no worries on the sale,there not really the right style for a benz!...

lol thanks for the complements!:cool:...im also looking to ditch my SC for a turbo....infact its the next project!(now that the 5 month way over due suspension upgrade is almost over!!)

ohhh 370$ is very tempting :-) i may be ordering them but first ill do some local research, ima student so i got a bit of time free here and there :-)
yea thats what i thought bout pipe not really benz style bit more jap car. sorry.

Hopefully if ur turbo project goes well and if i ever get there... turbo c series drags at meremere. magine that mwahahaha :-)

Yea gotwake hope ur all good afta that solid hit. i sorta presumed u would be unless u mentioned it :confused:
poor bastard :-(

got_wake
05-26-2005, 04:23 PM
yeah guys i ok,
just cuts on the head from B pillar, mild concusion, bruised ribs, and some black ass bruises!!
man i cryed bout my car, not me!
im just glad i wasnt in some rice rocket poppin the vtec or somthin cuz i prob would be dead! so yeah fun fun!
yeah man that things fuckin dumped! i only had amg suspension so its rather low compared 2 a standard one but it wasnt slamed as urs is!
c280 u must ripp thru the rubber the camber on my sportline was a bitch! cost me heaps till i got some cheap non directionals and they dont wear any thing like the million dolla directions but in the wet u just spin, i never complined about that!! untill i put my food down to get out the way of a jeep and sat there spinning!!

c280nz
05-26-2005, 04:55 PM
rippin through the rubber is all part of the fun. specially with 3.5* camber.
and if u go round corneres fast enough u can get ur tires to wear evenly, even with massive camber :-)

and true true if u were in a crx i dont know if you would still be talking to us :-(

Pagz
05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
ohhh 370$ is very tempting :-) i may be ordering them but first ill do some local research, ima student so i got a bit of time free here and there :-)
yea thats what i thought bout pipe not really benz style bit more jap car. sorry.

Hopefully if ur turbo project goes well and if i ever get there... turbo c series drags at meremere. magine that mwahahaha :-)

Yea gotwake hope ur all good afta that solid hit. i sorta presumed u would be unless u mentioned it :confused:
poor bastard :-(

no worries man,i see someone has placed a bid for $180 with a similar name...,maybe it will sell for 180 lol man i lost alot of money on those muffs!!!...

haha yeh C class at the drags along is a rarity!!...

hey hagan,where did you see the manual 99 230k?

Pagz
05-26-2005, 06:27 PM
hagan,
found it,its that blue one on trade me!,nice car you should pull a few strings and get it!!!:):)

got_wake
05-26-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah i saw that ay but its 30g, i dunno wat my insurance gonna give me ay. prob bout 17-18g so hey if i can get in for that much for show i would be hard keen!

did you do your intercooler your self?

Pagz
05-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by got_wake
yeah i saw that ay but its 30g, i dunno wat my insurance gonna give me ay. prob bout 17-18g so hey if i can get in for that much for show i would be hard keen!

did you do your intercooler your self?

its worth a shot!...dont forget MB manuals are hard to sell here,only a few enthusists want them!...way back when i got mine they wanted 48K for it LOL,after ages on the lot someone got it for 35K,so keep an eye on it,you may pic it up for alot cheaper than 30!...

Yeah i installed the IC system etc,I ordered it from japan,it is a trust kit made for the altezza,heavily modified to suit though;)

c280nz
05-26-2005, 10:55 PM
off topic - but what do u think of these 23k?
im debating buying some but cant decide :-s

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Other-accessories/auction-28036425.htm

got_wake
05-28-2005, 08:33 PM
yeah dunno ay, mine had chrome on every line cuz it was sport line they call it like a SE600 grille or some thing, but that e class looks kinda dumb with it i reckon to much chrome for me.
but hey thats me.

Pagz
05-29-2005, 02:18 PM
hey c280nz,
Im not sure about that grill....maybe alittle too much chrome man,but thats just my opinion....