PDA

View Full Version : Brake Change Question

kirr
05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
I am fairly new when it comes to car repair. How do you know when you need to change your brakes? Also, is their anyway to fix the clock on the spedometer. It went out and I can't tell what time it is.

Dr.Drew
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
a light comes on on your dash, or you drive off the road because your light bulb is broken

your dealer should fix that bulb no charge if they are nice

kirr
05-25-2005, 01:57 PM
What are you talking about driving off the road? That is kind of why I asked this question because I don't want to drive off the road. My question was, by looking at the brakes, how can you tell you need it changed? My brake light comes on once in a while but I think it is a faulty sensor because when I hit a bump in the road or something of that sort that "shakes" the car, it goes and comes. So I don;t think I need to change brakes but one ce in a while it will flicker.

Dr.Drew
05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
breaks are between 1/2 and 3/4 inches thick when you get them new they should be replaced when they are approx 1/8 inches thick or when the light comes on the dash board.

I was joking because if you clock bulb is gone others cold be too and you wouldn't know if the break light was on

Ethan
05-26-2005, 06:05 PM
For your brakes, if you take the wheels off there is a window/hole in the caliper where you can inspect the brake pad.
But first you need an idea what the brake pad looks like new, the thickness and color of the friction material and then the color and thickness of the backing plate.

I need a small LED light to get a good view of the the pads through the caliper.

When you get below a friction material thickness of 2mm the pads are due for change.

Also, an idea of how many miles are on the present pads is helpful.

As the pads wear to the end of their lives the dash brake pad life indcator can intermittently come on.

For your dash, do a search for dash removal and dash lights. You may need to go to www.mercedesshop.com or you may find it at this excellent site