PDA

View Full Version : dragging brakes

mr. gatsbury
05-30-2005, 05:49 PM
i fell like i have a break drag. there is a grinding feeling i feel in the pedals and a bit in the floor while accelerating. I was wondering what a good way to determine which caliper is causing the problem. I just put new rotors and pads on about 3000 miles ago so i know it's not warped rotors or anthing. it wasn't a problem when i put them on up till now.

any help is appreciated,

john

jnenad16
05-30-2005, 06:13 PM
dragging brakes are usually caused by air in the brake system. have it bled and see if it fixes the problem. also, a sticking caliper could be the cause, but the precursor to this problem is almost always contaminated brake fluid.
but the dragging and whining that you have while accelerating could very likely be a failed wheel bearing(s).

nenad

mr. gatsbury
05-30-2005, 06:29 PM
nenad, should i have the whole system flushed (can i do this?) or should i just try bleeding each wheel and the master? How do I check to see if it is a wheel bearing? what do I look for? would it be easy to replace myself?

thanks again,
john

jnenad16
05-30-2005, 10:16 PM
john, I would highly recommend having a shop flush the fluid for you. as for the wheel bearings, jack up the front of the car, secure it with jack stands, and spin each wheel manually, if it whines and spins freely, its the bearings, if it spins hard, than take the wheel off and inspect the caliper and pads.

nenad

mr. gatsbury
05-31-2005, 03:47 PM
gotcha, ill check the bearings first. thanks once again nenad....

john

mr. gatsbury
06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
ok, so i jacked up the front today at when i spun the front passenger wheel, i heard slight contact, like a high spot on the rotor, i just installed those f'ing things... brembo cross drilled...

wtf...

john

jnenad16
06-03-2005, 06:07 PM
try EBC rotors, they are cheap, good, and you can always return them to tirerack if they are defective.

nenad