PDA

View Full Version : suspension-wheels/tires

c5vetteman
05-31-2005, 07:45 PM
I just recently got my tires and wheels put on along with aftermarket shocks and springs. When the tires/wheels were installed at discount tires they balanced them. Afterwards i took it to get an alignment at firestone but i noticed my car was still drifting and steering wheels pointed slightly to the left so i will take it back tomorrow. I also noticed that my steering wheel was vibrating around 65-70mph so i again took it back to discount tires and they rebalanced and retorqued the wheels but im still have problems with the steering wheel shake. Is it due to my new rims and tires which are 18's and 225/40/18 or might it be the tire rods or should i just take it back to discount to have it balanced again.

Dr.Drew
06-01-2005, 10:51 AM
probally because they did not do a high speed balance like the dealer would

VIP_MBZ
06-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Any shop should be able to set the alignment correctly, not just the dealer. Mine was balanced at Tires Warehouse, and I've hit 120 mph (sshh) with no vibration.

I would be more concerned about the alignment, if the car is pulling towards a particular direction.

-Ray

pnsji
06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Drew
probally because they did not do a high speed balance like the dealer would

High speed balance? what is this?

Renn 208
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Couple of questions to ask:

1. Are the wheels true? (not bent)

2. Are the tires new or used?

3. What are your ending alignment specs?

Dr.Drew
06-01-2005, 06:37 PM
most balancing shops will spin them up to lets say 45mph other shops with a high speed balancing will go higher then that, every place I have taken my rims to get ballanced i allways end up going to the dealer to have them re balanced it may not be high speed but they do something different I am shure then the regular shop with some teenager running the balancing machine that dosent care about the job they do

alboogiee
06-01-2005, 08:06 PM
if you bought fancy tires.. i.e. yokohama or kuhmo's i instaled them once incorrectly on my friends WRX, not only are they rotational/directional, but they also have to be on a particular side of the car... don know if it will help but check the small writing on the sidewall like rotaon and the arrow, and left or right side...

~alex

VIP_MBZ
06-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Hehe, I've never heard Kumho referred to as a fancy tire.

-Ray

alboogiee
06-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
Hehe, I've never heard Kumho referred to as a fancy tire.

-Ray

to my broke ass they are :D