PDA

View Full Version : CD player occasionally won't work

JonC43
06-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Recently, I had a CD stick in my player (trunk mounted). The display read "No CDs", like there were actually no CDs loaded in the player. I tried to eject the cartridge, but couldn't.

I called the dealer and asked what to do, and they just accused me of using burned CDs, and that they will cause this problem. I have, however, never used burned CDs. They said it could be quite costly to fix.

After the phone conversation, I went out side and carefully managed to eject the cartridge. After replacing the cartridge, I seemingly fixed the problem. That is, until recently.

The CD is not sticking, but the player occasionally fails to read the CDs. Restarting the car does not fix the problem, but gently shaking the box in the rear has sometimes corrected the problem.

What exactly is the problem?

Denlasoul
06-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I've had that happen once or twice (No CD), and what I did was eject the cartridge (never had problems with it ejecting) and took out the "No CD" and reinserted it again. Its usually back to normal after that.

JonC43
06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I fixed it a couple of times that way, but it seems to get more and more difficult to fix.

What kind of problem is this?

martattack
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't understand why the dealer thinks a burned CD could cause it to do that?

mbLova
06-01-2005, 11:56 AM
i've had the same problmes a couple times with "burned" cd's. i just eject the cartridge and then put it back in.

1SIKBNZ
06-01-2005, 09:03 PM
wellif you decide you need a new one i have one from A 99 c280 mint... lemme know

69chevelle
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I had that same problem with mine...unfortunately my cd changer broke completely. I couldn't get it to reset or play cd's anymore. I need another one but don't want to pay Ebay prices. How much for yours?

1SIKBNZ
06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
its in perfect condition, im assuming you dont need the headunit or the mounting bracket so $150, and your in frisco so if you wanna do pickup so no shipping and cash that would be fine with me... lemme know.

SLAMMED_C
06-02-2005, 06:49 PM
It is most likely an internal fault with the cd changer.. probably the laser.. easiest thing to do is have the cd changer rebuilt.. or buy a new one from the dealer.... or elsewhere!

JonC43
06-02-2005, 07:38 PM
That's what I am afraid of. For now, I will keep "man-tuning" it until it breaks (e.g. hitting it until it works again).

I had it read "NO CD CHANGER" today as well. I just had to remove and reinsert the cartridge.

SLAMMED_C
06-02-2005, 07:41 PM
yeh its your cd changer for sure.. either rebuilt unit or new one.. (rebuilt will be cheaper) unless ya know someone that has a new one for sale!

davis449
06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
That's so retarded! They "accused" you of using burned CD's. Since when is that a crime or a warranty no no. That's fukcing B.S.! A CD is a CD, I don't give a crap what they say. Maybe it won't play it cause you burned at to high a speed or whatever, that's fine, but causing the changer to stick or jam is complete and utter bullshit!

JonC43
06-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I know. I am not under warranty anymore, but I knew that the CD player was not working due to no fault of my self.

I tried to see if they would do something for free or a reduced rate, but they said they have this problem only when people are using burned CDs. They said they would not fix it because the player was made to only support valid CDs.

After explaining I have never used burned CDs, he said that there was nothing he could do except charge me for another player.

Uncle Benz
06-04-2005, 12:44 AM
My C43 experienced that problem too with the no "CD Changer" after I looked at the changer to see if everything was ok, then it worked again. I seriously doubt that burned CD's would screw up the player. Its probably just a loose connection or something?

Denlasoul
06-05-2005, 12:45 AM
All my "No CD" errors on the radio have occurred from regular CDs. I dont play burned CDs in my car, so the "problem when using burned CDs" theory, does not hold much water in my book.