PDA

View Full Version : help... sticky oil like fluid

alboogiee
06-06-2005, 06:11 PM
i have a 99 c230 komp, i took it out of the garage today, usualy garaged 4/5 days out of the week, but i had previously driven it this weekend and had noticed NO leak... today i park in the driveway and i saw two very small puddles that looked like very dirty oil, well i just changed my oil so i ruled that out, jack up the car and only black gunck on the bottom is near the tranny, i touched the stuff on the ground it is sticky like tree sap but looks like dirty oil... im confused, i see no leaks (visable)

this happend to anyone else? any idea (off the top of ur head) what the substance is? how to diagnose random fluid leaks?

thanks!!

alex

jnolte
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Dirty tranny fluid

If you have never changed your fluid on your tranny, it can get so dark it can no longer look red but dark brown or blackish.

SLAMMED_C
06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
tranny fluid.. even really dirty tranny fluid is not sticky like tree sap.. so I dont know what you have on the bottom of your trans.. maybe you drove over something? as the trans pan gets hot it heats whatever in on the bottom of the pan up and it drips off??
wont be anything from your car.. nothing in the car thats that sticky.

alboogiee
06-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
tranny fluid.. even really dirty tranny fluid is not sticky like tree sap.. so I dont know what you have on the bottom of your trans.. maybe you drove over something? as the trans pan gets hot it heats whatever in on the bottom of the pan up and it drips off??
wont be anything from your car.. nothing in the car thats that sticky.

that's what i thought...

yeah i was under the impression that tranny fluid is "forever" with merc...

i thought i went through a tar spot or something, i havent been as careful as i shoud be, as i scraped my front bumper, for the 4th time in 2 weeks.. (RIEGER KIT!!:D if i really mess it up)...

thanks guyz!