PDA

View Full Version : i don't want to break anything...

mr. gatsbury
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
but I just got a new cup holer and i was in the process of replacing it when i noticed the two front plastic pieces that the door slides on are off the track. I think i can reach and fix it if I could get the pannel around the shifter off. Do I just pull on it or are there screws underneath that I can see??? I can seem to find a single screw. I was trying to take the whole console out so I can get the change that got stuck behind my ashtray.

i'm out doing this now so the faster response the better...

thanks in advance,
john

SLAMMED_C
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
There arent any screws holding it in place.. unless someone has mcguivered that cup holder in place for you!!.. but there shouldnt be any screws holding it in place at all.
just grab the back part of the cup holder (the part against the back of the cubby hole where the cup holder sits in) and pull straight up and then foreward very slightly.. it will just lift right out.

!!!!!NJ Drive
06-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
There arent any screws holding it in place.. unless someone has mcguivered that cup holder in place for you!!.. but there shouldnt be any screws holding it in place at all.
just grab the back part of the cup holder (the part against the back of the cubby hole where the cup holder sits in) and pull straight up and then foreward very slightly.. it will just lift right out. lol...reminds me of my friends 94 acura lengend..he had so much crap glued & screwed on, or together

mr. gatsbury
06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
no no, that's not what i meant. i mean the flat carbon fiber piece that houses the shifter. can i just pull on that without breaking it? or is it screwed in from underneath? do I have to take the black piece off from around the shifter or do will they both pop off together??? i already have the cup holder out...

thanks though slammed

john

vbrock1137
06-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Just get yer fingernails under the black piece of plastic that surrounds the shifter and pull it up and out. Then, with the cup holder door thing about half open pull up on the rear edge of the piece of CF (or wood, in other people's case). Then, and probably again with your fingernails, pull up on the front edge of the CF piece. It'll be alittle tough to pull up, but it just snaps in place, no screws. There's a snap near each corner. Hope this helps.

SLAMMED_C
06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh Im sorry.. I missread!..
in order to take the shifter wood trim out.. you just remove the gearshift bezzel, and then at the front of the trim.. closer to the ashtray, pull up and the gearshift wood trim trim will pop out. no screws holding that in either.
if you want to remove the whole centre console.. remove the gearshift wood trim, then the small cubby hole at the base of the ashtray (just pulls up)
remove the 2 screws in the sides of the front of the centre console (phillips screws) then there should be 2 screws in the centre console storage box.. Im not sure if there are any more at the transmission shifter or not.. possibly 2 there..
the whole centre console will slide diagonally up and back very slightly.

mr. gatsbury
06-10-2005, 09:25 PM
thanks guys, i got as far as removing both pieces around the shifter. i then noticed that the rails that the cup holder door slides on were broken. just the front left on. the little nipple that slides in the track broke off. so that would explain why the door seems flimsy. so im hoping i can remove the actual housing of the cup holder by removing the whole console. if i can do this without removing the whole console please instruct me how. second, i have some change that fell behind the ashtray (i no longer keep change there). I pulled out the little rubber section at the top of the center console right under the astray which revealed two screws. i removed those two screws plus the two screws that are under the ledge of the radio. There wasn't enough room to remove the piece. the plastic inserts that hold the rubber piece blocked me from sliding the bottom out and there is no play in the top piece. so the question now is: do i have to remove the radio and the climate control unit to remove the carbon fiber face so i can slide the ashtray and the tape holder out? if not, how do i remove the carbon face so i can get the bottom piece out to get the change out from behind the astray?

again, thanks guys you have been a big help.

john

vbrock1137
06-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Once you've removed the four screws you've mentioned you should be able to get the ashtray and cassette holder out. After pulling out the ash tray a little you should be able to push down the cassette holder a little then pull it towards you. The tape holder should come right out once you push it down a little. Just play around with it, it'll come out.

mr. gatsbury
06-14-2005, 01:49 PM
ok, so i got everything out and back in. the console had to be removed for the ashtray to come out. the depth of the tape holer would not give enough room to remove it. and i mcgyver'ed the nipple on the rail for the cupholder door so it now slides smoothly along the track. now I was trying to fix the rattle i get from the base in the rear. i managed to secure the third brake light by using double sided foam tape. the problem now is that more of the rattle comes from the back driverside speaker cover. I couldn't figure out how to remove it. I can't really see anything from inside the trunk??? how do i get this out..

bleveled
07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Open your trunk,look in the hole right in the body right under the third brake light.In my car,the whole back deck was rattling,so I shimmed up the bottom of the deck ,in this hole, with cardboard to stop the rattle.A piece of styrofoam cooler would work great here. Btw,be careful with the brake light housing,as mine was sun baked and and fell apart,so I need to find a new one or wire in a resistor to turn off the F'ing light on my dash.Anyone with info on this would be great!Peace