PDA

View Full Version : AM reception not working on my '99 c280

c280_ep
06-13-2005, 11:43 AM
So I've messing around with my stereo system. First I installed a pioneer avic-n1 and it was great. Then I started noticing that my AM reception is really weak. So I checked all my connections and everything seemed solid. There were a lot of wires for the avic-n1 so I thought there may be some ground interference. I took it out and put the becker OEM back in and now I got no AM reception at all. I went into the trunk and open up on the left side where the bose amp is and something that looks like a antenna cable with a white plastic connect just sitting there. There was a similar wire at come out of the side wall that also have the coaxial connection just sitting there. I tried to connect those two together but they don'f fit. Does anybody know if there should be something in between the cable. What strange is that it always been like that ever seen I bought the car (2 mos ago) and my AM reception was fine back then.

I am tempted to just go and get an aftermarket antena and an adapter to bypass the OEM antena because I can't figure what's going here.

I also read in mercedesshop.com that if you don't have any AM signal, there is a bad ground on your antenna circuit but I be damned if I can find out where it is and how to fix it. Any insight would be helpful.

06-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Dear W202 Friend,

I can suggest as per my experience and info: I belive your is a facelift model, as mine, with radio antenna in the rear glass. You should have an antenna amplifier (a small plastic box with connection) in the rear (left side I belive) C pillar, you can reach it dismountin internal trim.
Mine is without factory bose option so I don't know if that foresee an additional connection in the trunk with the amplifier, I don't know what's the connection you have in the trunk. Sorry.

I've had same of your problem and I found the coaxial connection in the radio slot was broken (the small internal cable of the coaxial part), it's quite a bother to sold well it.

Further, that sort of antenna amplifier in the rear C pillar require a suitable feed, provided by the radio, so please check you have well connected all the requested cable (it should be a blu cable suitable for antenna control).

Please inform as you solve your problem.

Hi

PS: also me I've just installed a Pioneer monitor unit, it's the AVICX1-R, with navigation feature also (with a separate brain to be connected to the main unit): that's really a lot of connection and cable:);)

c280_ep
06-18-2005, 03:08 PM
OK. I finally have time to find that amplifier. 1998K was right, it was on the passenger side on the c-pillar in the back. I checked for power and it does have juice going to it. My guess is that the amplifier is fried somehow because I checked the connections going to the box and they looked OK. I guessed I have to go get another one. Anybody knows how to take it off. It looked like I have to dissamble the seat belt to get to it. What a pain!!! I may have to just go ahead and buy the aftermarket antenna and just leave the OEM one broken.

06-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by c280_ep
OK. I finally have time to find that amplifier. 1998K was right, it was on the passenger side on the c-pillar in the back. I checked for power and it does have juice going to it. My guess is that the amplifier is fried somehow because I checked the connections going to the box and they looked OK. I guessed I have to go get another one. Anybody knows how to take it off. It looked like I have to dissamble the seat belt to get to it. What a pain!!! I may have to just go ahead and buy the aftermarket antenna and just leave the OEM one broken.

sorry to hear about your still present problem. To take it off probably you need to take off only the seat belt bolt but I'm not sure sorry.

A new one shouldn't cost a lot, check to the dealer and than decide that solution or an aftermarket antenna.

glad to help you