PDA

View Full Version : those grey side strips in the non sport W202s

Rincewind
07-01-2003, 06:28 PM
How do I go about getting that yucky grey side strips all around my car to look like the sport trim (same as body color). are there actual bolt on parts for the side strips? I know that the front and rear bumper need to either be replaced or painted.

jnolte
07-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Rincewind i had the same question. You can either go to your Benz Stealership and buy Sport siding and bumpers or the easier and cheaper way would be to get it painted at a bodyshop or if u can you can paint it yourself:D

dumpsta
07-01-2003, 10:47 PM
I have actually gotten quotes from several paint shops to paint those grey parts to match body color...the range is from $600-800 USD for them to take off all those parts, paint, and reassemble. I thought that was way too expensive for me.

Buying all those trim pieces from the dealer is WAY more.

jnolte
07-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by dumpsta
I have actually gotten quotes from several paint shops to paint those grey parts to match body color...the range is from $600-800 USD for them to take off all those parts, paint, and reassemble. I thought that was way too expensive for me.

Buying all those trim pieces from the dealer is WAY more.

Thats alotta money..... Has anyone done it themselves??? Is it hard to take off the strips?? And put them back on??

SLK Boy
07-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Damn, they want that much to paint the moldings??? I got quoted 100...but they were going to paint other things while they were at it, so maybe that's why it was cheaper...

Rincewind
07-02-2003, 06:37 AM
paint over what other things?

the chrome strips ontop of the bumper maybe?

pnsji
07-02-2003, 08:33 AM
It should not cost that much. You can take it yourself, it is not a big deal....

07-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
It should not cost that much. You can take it yourself, it is not a big deal....

Please is it necessary to take off the front and rear bumbers?
And about the door moldings... is it necessary to remove the inner door panel or it can be done pulling the moldings (and replacing the broken plastic clamps with new ones).

??

thanks a lot

JRE320
07-07-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
And about the door moldings... is it necessary to remove the inner door panel or it can be done pulling the moldings (and replacing the broken plastic clamps with new ones).

??

thanks a lot

It is much easier if you pull the bumper and paint them.
For the side molding I'm not too sure if u pull them out other parts of your door won't get damage. It is not a joke on those clips or clamps which you can only get it from the stealership.
Don't be surprise when you find out how much it cost.
I'd say just pull out your door panel to play it safe.

MrSpace
07-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by 1998K

??

thanks a lot

plus if you pull them they will surely get sme waves in them.

Happened with my integra, whne putting them back on I had an hard time getting the band to fit properly everywhere (ther was often a small gap on top where water could infiltrate)

Etienne

dumpsta
07-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, the body shops that quoted me the prices told me about how easy the clips would break, so thats why the prices are so high.

07-08-2003, 12:29 AM
so it seems that removing inner door panels is necessary!? 4 doors removing also the inner nylon sealing! this is a very annoying trouble.

In case you chose to decrome and repaint (to a paint shop of course), may be they work directly on the car body, without removing the side moulding. To verify previously: cost may be cheaper,...but quality may be affected!:Paranoid: :Paranoid:

MrSpace
07-08-2003, 09:07 AM
remove them

if you paint them on the car you'll need to paint the doors and fenders with it (means almost all the car), it looks better (molded to the car) but it costs a lot.

Etienne