PDA

View Full Version : Antenna options

SLK Boy
12-20-2002, 07:56 AM
Ok..this is the story...

A couple weeks ago, we were expecting a snowstorm, so I put the car cover on the C280...the next morning, I forgot I still had the cover on, and remote-started the car...the antenna goes up, and then bends. Oops...

So now, I bought Susanto's antenna that he was selling...is there any other options? I was thinking of shaving the current busted antenna, and installing a bumper or rear windown antenna for the radio...or even tearing up the head liner and drilling a hole for the GPS antenna (hehe..gettin' ready for Comand..:D)

Anything else that I can do?

kameraguy
12-20-2002, 11:06 AM
If you shaved the antenna location and installed the GPS antenna, i think that would be freaking neat. It would look like a newer c-class, and it is OEM.
Otherwise it would be kinda neat to have a roof-style antenna like the e30 M3/VW fuba style :) I like that swept back look...very racey.

pnsji
12-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Jimmy,

I will send your antenna today. I am sorry about the delay since my life have been hectic lately...

spacedog
12-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
...it would be kinda neat to have a roof-style antenna like the e30 M3/VW fuba style :) I like that swept back look...very racey...

mmmm....fuba! :D

nokia8860
12-20-2002, 04:34 PM
While I know looking good is important keep in mind the bumper antennas dont peformance as great as that fender mounted one.

Buddha_Kip
12-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
While I know looking good is important keep in mind the bumper antennas dont peformance as great as that fender mounted one.

in that summation, the E30 M3/Golf antenna mount would be the ideal antenna location to go with. WHen I had a CB in my truck (yes, I'm a hick), a roof mounted or front of the bed mount antenna always pulled better reception than when I had it mounted to my rear bumper.

The antenna uses the surrounding metal as sort of an amplifier. Therefore, the more metla you have surrounding it, the better reception you will receive.

On the subject of the GPS antenna,,,I'm not all that impressed with the looks of that. Dean (scorchie) recently installed one on his car, and I honestly think it looks goofy.

http://www.blancmange.com/scorchie/MBZ/C43/COMAND/comandC43-01.jpg

GrahamC230K
12-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Buddha_Kip
Dean (scorchie) recently installed one on his car, and I honestly think it looks goofy.

Sorry to go Off Topic: - But what happened to Scorchie?

Buddha_Kip
12-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Sorry to go Off Topic: - But what happened to Scorchie?

he went crazy. we had to institutionalize him. :p no, he's an admin over at callandra.

SLK Boy
12-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think in terms of $ and easy of install, I'm going to probably just replace the stock antenna with Susanto's...

though i am still contemplating installing a window antenna (though I know reception isn't that great)...but then again, I don't really listen to radio. :)

I used to have a Fuba antenna that was going to go on my Integra, but I wasn't big on the idea of drilling a hole in my roof...hehe..

pnsji
12-24-2002, 12:03 PM
I sent the antenna before I left. You should be receiving it soon.

03-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi Guys,
just registered and happy to enjoy as part of W202 Owner, I kindly ask your help opening an old tread.
I've some problem with radio reception! Mine is a 1998 W202 (Black C200 Kompressor) with antenna integrated in the back window.
I've checked antenna and 12V remote connections from radio/consolle side, and it seems are OK. Do you know, please, where does antenna and remote input (from the radio) is connected to the rear window? I want to verify the connection. Please do you know also where does the relevant cable pass from radio to rear window? Does exist some indication in any W202 repair manuals?
Final personal suggestion: in case I've to install an external antenna, please what kind of installation do You suggest me, as aesthetic point of view? I'like oldstyle motorized antenna (black if possible). Please I'll really appreciate your opinion and/or option.
Any suggestion and help will be very much.
Hi
:)

dwang
03-26-2003, 05:02 AM
I have a 1999 C230K (rear windshield integrated antenna) and my radio was getting really poor reception. So I brought it to the dealer to have it checked out and they replace the "modulator". It was a $60 part and was hidden in the trunk somewhere (I have the part number at home on the receipt). I have no idea what it was and what it does. After that, the radio reception was crystal clear.

Dave

03-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks Dwang. How bad was your reception? Here, in Italy, we have two radio broadcast band: FM and AM. AM I can't really receive nothing, so I'm wondering where this "modulator" is in the trunk, in order to verify if something is disconnected or really the "modulator" has to be changed!

Thanks again

Marco

dwang
03-26-2003, 09:24 AM
My radio reception problem only occured on AM band. The FM band was fine. When I tuned into the station, I heard static with some reception in the background. Definitely more static than reception. I have no idea what part they changed or where it's located in the trunk. All I saw on the invoice was the part number and the location. Let me see if I can dig up the invoice and get you the part number.

Dave

03-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks again Dwang, my problem seems like your.

Just returned from the Dealership but they can't (want !?) tell me exactly the information I need.

In any case they said me that if I look for "modulator" I've to check in the rear left side of the trunk. They can't say me if there is a relevant fuse for this device. They suggest me also to check antenna cable on radio (possible interrupt!?)

In any case I'll appreciate a lot part number and any further information.

thanks a lot

Marco

04-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Solved my problem: it was a broken connection in the radio antenna plug connector!

Thanks for your kind help.

Hi