PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh Steering Wheel Free Play!!!

NSXNOS2001
06-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Hello everyone, I have problem with steering wheel free play. My c220 came with orginal 15 inch rims, and now I have 17 inch amg rims mounted on the car. I had my tie rode fix recently and had 2 alignment this year. After a few days of the alignment I begin to feel the free play again. You could really notice the free play at 60 MPH. So I'm wondering if its something with the steering gear box. I was checking in the net, and some people fixed the problem by tighting some bolt in the steering wheel system. I wonder if any of you guys had this problem, and how did you fix it?

NISMOPOWERED
06-18-2005, 08:25 AM
You can try adjusting the box. It has a stud/bolt with a locknut on it sticking out of the topside of the box. You loosen the nut the turn the bolt to adjust, then tighten the nut. The problem is you cant overtighten the bolt or it will bind but if its to loose you gat play. Better a litle loose than the box binding in a turn going down the freeway.

NSXNOS2001
06-18-2005, 11:22 AM
I just wanted to know where is the box located, and have you done this before?

NISMOPOWERED
06-19-2005, 08:11 AM
I have not on my benz but I have on other cars. The box is right under the brake master cly.