PDA

View Full Version : kyb shocks

aw11w202
06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
does any body got any experience with kyb shocks? i used them before on other cars (on ricer cars) but not on benz, right now i got eibach springs and hd bilstein. the car bounce to much, some recommend bilstein sports which is my number choice but someone mention kyb which are alot cheaper. any input will help. thx

jnenad16
06-20-2005, 10:26 AM
you said it yourself, they are cheap, so dont expect them to be good. maybe your bilstein's are worn out. look at the shock body and if looks oily and dirty, the shock is gone and needs to be changed. bilstein hd is a slightly better choice than the OEM, and the bilstein sport is a great upgrade, especially when your car is lowered.

nenad

crsh2
06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by aw11w202
does any body got any experience with kyb shocks? i used them before on other cars (on ricer cars) but not on benz, right thx

I was thinking of the same thing before i lowered my car but for $100 more you get what most people have ( bilstein Sport ) probably last longer too.
mine seem to ride better now lowered than it did when it was stock :D
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4740&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

goodluck

Under Pressure
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I remember long ago a discussion on benzsport, and the holding was that the KYB shocks did not offer a comfortable ride. Everyone's shock of choice (including mine when I had a modified Mercedes) seems to be Koni.

Renn 208
06-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
Everyone's shock of choice (including mine when I had a modified Mercedes) seems to be Koni.

If this thread is any kind of a representative sample, I'm not so sure that your observation is correct:

http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10359&st=15

ryhi
06-20-2005, 01:59 PM
i got kyb not only because of price, but because i got a 2 year warranty opposed to no warranty with the bilsteins

pnsji
06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i got kyb not only because of price, but because i got a 2 year warranty opposed to no warranty with the bilsteins
Bilsteins are lifetime warranty as long as you own the car.

aw11w202
06-20-2005, 03:50 PM
thanks for the info, i think im gonna with the bilstein.

Under Pressure
06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Koni has lifetime warranty too! Plus they are adjustable to three different settings! And they are lowered car friendly, as this copy & paste from their website says...

KONIs are designed to fit standard height cars and can work with lowered cars as long as they don't bottom out internally and become damaged. Unlike some shocks, KONIs are not position sensitive so they will work properly anywhere in their stroke range providing they are not bottoming or topping out. Different vehicle suspension designs have different stroke travels but a good rule of thumb is that most vehicles can be lowered acceptably about 1 1/2 inches, beyond that the possibility of bottoming increases rapidly although some longer stroke cars can go lower.

http://www.koni-na.com/faq.cfm#5

ANd if you are not yet sold on Konis, well, THEY COME IN BANANA YELLOW!!!!!!!:banana:

Renn 208
06-20-2005, 04:23 PM
so what's the process for changing the settings on the koni's installed on a w202? ;)

Honestly, for the vast majority of people deciding between bistein vs koni, there really isn't anything to say that one is that much better than the other.

nokia8860
06-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
so what's the process for changing the settings on the koni's installed on a w202? ;)

LMAO!

Under Pressure
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Honestly, for the vast majority of people deciding between bistein vs koni, there really isn't anything to say that one is that much better than the other.

Come on, Koni comes in yellow, yo!

Renn 208
06-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
Come on, Koni comes in yellow, yo!

Don't forget red too!