PDA

View Full Version : Vaeth C230K intercooler

mXm
07-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to put a w203 intercooler on a w202. Vaeth is making one and according to them it boosts performance by 5-8% which could be interesting.

Is there any other intercooler for our cars (apart from that altezza kit that 23K fitted on his:D).

Under Pressure
07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by mXm
Does anyone know if it is possible to put a w203 intercooler on a w202. Vaeth is making one and according to them it boosts performance by 5-8% which could be interesting.

Is there any other intercooler for our cars (apart from that altezza kit that 23K fitted on his:D).

I think Renntech used to sell them for the C230K, it was made by Spearco and in Renntech tradition, was WAY overpriced.

Pagz
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
hey...what year is your 230K?...
does your stock IC have plastic end tanks?

Paul

alphanumeric
07-06-2005, 07:03 PM
stupid.. a better intercooler with stock boost wont really increase any HP figures.. better intercoolers are requires for running higher then stock boost.

example: I had an 84 volvo turbo non intercooler.. I added an intercooler and gained no HP.. but it was requires for me to raise the boost from 6.5 to 13lbs of boost.

mXm
07-06-2005, 07:32 PM
It's a 99.

And yes I have the intension of getting higher boost. either by removing the clutch and get a smaller pulley machined (but there might be pulley slippage since there will be less contact surface) or going with the asp pulley.

I'm also thinking of trying to put some kind of water spray to cool the intercooler a notch if there's space.

I might also look into changing the tubing to remove those air flow restrictions before and after the IC like 23K did.

To be honest I haven't looked behind the bumper yet, I'm just trying to put some ideas on paper and see what would be best/better.

Pagz
07-06-2005, 07:34 PM
a few thoughts on IC....but dont quote me on it;)

when chooseing an IC,there are a few factors to consider...

-does the current system need better cooling?(if you have increased boost or the stock system was made of straw).

-is it possible to install an IC with less pressure drop,that will still cool the air to the desired value?(thus increasing the potential at the TB)

...usually you sacrifice some pressure drop for better heat transfer...Due to the air coming in contact with more obsticles inside the IC...an example is the standard internal Fin type.
...an example of the oposite is the micro fin type...which has less
pressure drop,but is not quit as heat transfer efficient...

which one you choose will mostly depend on the boost temperatures your system runs and the space available for different sized IC's in your front bumper,oh and also the flow volume of air passing through....

I have not tested mine,nore did i test the factory IC before hand.
a good idea would be to take temperature and pressure values from each side of you stock IC and match them against ambiant air temp to see weather it does in fact hide a few HP....

Ps...removing the stock IC is a pain....its trapped between the body structure and the radiator

hey alphanumeric,
you quit right,there will be no gains if the stock system did not need upgrading.
however as you mentioned,if you are raising boost on a turbo which is most likely set to an efficient boost level from the factory,it is likely you will fall right off the exponential compressor efficiency map and temps will skyrocket...

But most of all........it has to look like it does somthing!!!:D:D:D
lol
Regards,
Paul

Beama86
07-11-2005, 03:58 PM
That would be a nice custom job