PDA

View Full Version : How to remove lower bolt on the rear shocks ?

Sunapollo
07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I am doing a diy to replace the oem shocks with Bilstein shocks. I am trying to remove the rear first but I can't get access to the lower bolt of the rear shock ... what should I do in order to access that bolt ?

2) what does the speed sensor, brake sensor look like ? and where is it located ? I'd like to remove them such that I won't over extend it.

3) Where are the jack points for our w202 ??

Thanks in advance !

jnenad16
07-08-2005, 11:00 AM
the lower bolt is located on the rear control arm, to remove it you first need to remove the plastic cover off of the control arm. the cover is secured with 4 10mm bolts, just remove them and pop off the cover and you will see the bottom of the shock. if your car does not have ASR, you dont have abs speed sensors in the back.
the brake sensors are also only in the front. as for the jack points, you can jack the car up on the differential while you are doing the back shocks, but secure it with jack stands at the lift point rubbers below the rocker panels. for the front, jack the car up at the subframe(crossbar behind the oil pan, don't jack the oil pan!), and also secure with jack stands at the front rubber lift points. now, when removing the shocks, always have the lower control arm supported with the jack while you are undoint the top nuts. then slowly release the jack and guide the shock rod safely out of the wheel well. this way you will prevent the spring from potentially shooting out. then ubolt the lower bolts. reverse the procedure to install new ones.

nenad

SLAMMED_C
07-10-2005, 07:34 PM
actually each plastic cover on the lower control arm is secured with 2 small 10mm bolts.. once the plastic cover is removed, you will then have access to the lower shock bolts.

the best place to lift the car at the rear is the diff.. then put some jack stands at the lifting pads at each rear side of the car, under the rocker covers/ side skirts.
as for the front.. there really isnt a spot in the centre of the car to jack up.. with the under panel in place you cant see where the sub frame cross member is, so maybe use the factory jack and jack point in the side skirts and then hopefully it will raise high enough to use jack stands.. again putting them at the lifting pads at each front of the car under the rocker/side skirts.