PDA

View Full Version : Mosselman cost. What is it????

DJShock2000
07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
After searching for C280 turbo information I keep stumbling across the name Mosselman. It seems that everyone thinks their kit is very expensive, but no where can I find the actual cost- not even on the Mosselman site! If someone could kindly point me where to find this... it would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks.

JRE320
07-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Are you really serious in getting a Mosselman turbo? Coz I can get you deal.

nokia8860
07-20-2005, 09:20 PM
FYI:

JRE320 = Mosselman Turbo Systems

Ashkan's C280
07-20-2005, 10:17 PM
how much boost do they run? is it easy to turn up the boost safely?? does it come with a bov and adj boost controller?

Ashkan's C280
07-20-2005, 10:22 PM
and what kind of deal can you get, I think it was 6k

jnenad16
07-20-2005, 11:22 PM
forget turbo, SC is the way to go. powerdyne bd-11 all the way!

nenad

JRE320
07-21-2005, 06:07 AM
It actually cost $6500 + tax if your in california.

crsh2
07-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by JRE320

Is that installed or just the kit?
sorry if its a dumb question.

DJShock2000
07-21-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm sure that cost is without installation. Wow $6500 is a lot! I will look into the Powerdyne s/c as well.

JRE you have p.m.

knvs
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by JRE320

Wow thats alot considering my swap was only a bit more for engine and install. But I understand that this is more custom whereas mine was just a swap.

mayagman
07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I'd sooner swap. If $6500 is the price for just the kit.. that's pretty outlandish..
I can get two T25s or T3/4s... whichever.. for in the range of $500. Throw in my components to make them jive, custom headers.. probably about $1200. Various pipework, $500.. TOPS, if its all mandrel bent and nicely welded stainless. IC's I'd have to look at.. I'm sure it can be built custom and tuned for about half that figure.
Or a SC. I've heard and seen that 4-6lbs should be no problem sans IC. I'd prefer a SC anyway. $1200ish is the figgure for the previously mentioned powerdyne. Needs overhauling every so often, but it's just replacing a belt and a pulley. Much easier to set up than alternate designs. Also, running the headers on the inline-six is nearly impossible. It ends up looking like a 6cyl diesel hauler. We'll see I guess.

Unless that kit comes with a MLS headgasket, a headers-back exhaust and a set of SSR's for good measure.

Under Pressure
07-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Many good shops can custom fab a kit for around $5k. Maybe you can go to a nearby shop that does such work and get an estimate. With an inline 6, you could probably get single turbo (instead of Mosselman's twin turbos) to save some money, perhaps get a Garrett T4 turbo thats common on 6 cyl turbo kits. That would save on the cost of getting twin (and smaller) T-25's. Just a thought.

mayagman
07-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I only say dual T25's because of the headers issue. It's a pain in the ass to route 6 outlets into and out of the turbo in the little space the airbox area gives you. Then you gotta worry about even exhaust flow and pressure through that funky-ass setup. It'd be easier I think to have 3 outlets per turbo and have your rig sound like a tractor pull.

Just find some jackass who wrecked his eclipse, gang his turbines. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Just make sure you dont get the epoxy core model ><

JRE320
07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I told you if you're serious about Mosselman turbo. Now that you know the price... it cost a lot ha???... Ya..ya...ya... whatever you guys think.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DJShock2000
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
well that IS quite a bit more than most turbo kits i've seen for other N/A cars.

Ashkan's C280
07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
so what price can you get it for??? does it have a bov and an adj boost control?

pnsji
07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
6.5K and you think it is expensive? try to get kleemann SC.

JRE320
07-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
so what price can you get it for??? does it have a bov and an adj boost control?

No...

mayagman
07-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Kleemann makes some nice numbers.. but jesus christ... $12000 for a supercharger? Who the hell do they think they are? I sincerely hope that NOBODY ever pays that. I'm impressed with Kleemann's recent 55S8, but that's a whole other animal. That vehicle beats $250,000 cars at a $90k price. Strap a kleemann kit on a C280 and you're still gonna get hosed by a stock M3. Screw kleemann.
I have a major peeve with brands who ultra-inflate their pricing simply because it's a luxury brand. I've seen full blower installs done on 5.0 mustangs with MUCH higher boost outputs than the kleemann kits for < $5000. The only reason they price our parts so high is because they assume people who own benzes will pay it. Go to a local shop, have them machine a mount for a powerdyne or something. The base unit as I mentioned was about $1200. If you want an intercooled setup, you can have a system based on that fully installed and probably fully tuned (depending on how much the chiptuning costs) for less than $5k. Bolt-on kits are easy to install, but they don't compensate for nuances between cars. They're designed generally for the model, rather than one that has been custom tuned to fit the break-ins and runnings of YOUR engine and transmission. You get better performance, increased compatability, and just generally smoother operation. Since those 'out of the box' kits don't usually compensate for changes you may have in your intake or exhaust system.

If I had $5000 to piss away right now, I'd blow the C280 in a heartbeat. The car is solid, and the only thing I'd think of adding over the normal kit is some extra transmission cooling measures. I've been researching this for a while.

These companies are taking euro car owners for a ride, it disgusts me. Put $12,000 into a supra and you'll have a ferrari killer, put $12,000 into your benz (with a kleemann setup), and you'll still get dusted by a piece of shit 5.0.

Sorry if there's any kleemann reps here, and I'm sure you make a quality product. But a lot of us are just average joe's trying to live well, and 200% markups on components for exclusivity doesn't work for most of us.

Under Pressure
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Amen brother. Like I said, jacked Benz modding prices are the reason I went with a WRX for my next car. RENNtech is the worst for pricing - uber snobs. Cars to me arent status symbols, I just care about performance.

mayagman
07-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Eh, I had a scooby... it was fitted with a pair of T25's on the ea82 block. Fast and cheap. But I bought a benz to have a car that I can feel safe in, go decently fast, have fun driving, and fit my friends in the back. Nobody should have to pay so much for so little. I have half a mind to start hand-machining mounting brackets for the I-6 using the BD-11A... Infinitely easier than headers for a turbo setup.

The only thing that's keeping me from machining these brackets right now is money, and having to warrantee my product... We'll see what happens. If an existing company wants to make a crapload of money, all they have to do is start building *just the brackets* for various 'underdog' cars like the C280s. Cheap to make, and it's the major stumbling block for most amateurs to do their own installs.

neema12
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
This is the main reason my next car will not be a benz. I am glad someone agrees with me, I was worried I was the only person on this fourm who was disgusted by the prices for upgrades:(

jnenad16
07-22-2005, 03:20 PM
neema, UP, mayagman, we must be brothers cuz I feel the same way, totally. thats why I'm looking for a bimmer as my next ride. 540 or 740 are on my mind. I already had 740i earlier this year and I loved it. you can also fit BD-11 on it with no problem, infact I found a company in chicago that has powerdyne kit for the 740 for about $7k, but I want to do it myself. actually, every upgrade from body to suspension to engine is much cheaper and there are many more than the benz ones.

nenad

Under Pressure
07-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I think my next car will probably be the new Mustang GT w/ some go fast goodies (ie, supercharger). Thise look nice, and are cheap to mod.

neema12
07-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I will need to keep the c220 for the next few years, all I am doing and will do is stereo, its my passion. No point in adding anything to a 3500lb 2.2L 4cly. I have my eye on

1. Saab 92x aero- its a wrx, subaru drivetrain and engine, awd, turbo, ect.

2. GMC typhoon- very rare, made in early 90s, i know alot on these trucks. awd, turbo, 12s from the factory but advertised as 14s because it was faster than the vette and america could not have a truck faster than a vette.

3. Miata- its rwd, convt, stick and around $3000 for a clean one. Japenese parts are cheap and easy to find.

List goes on, s2000, audi, ect. ect.

I like the 540 but its still to similar to a benz as far as cost. I am not sure, I love mercedes more than any other car in the world, but while I am still young and invincible I want something faster and cheaper.

:rolleyes:

mayagman
07-23-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not saying I'm gonna leave MB behind.. I've had too much fun to do that. I just promised myself my next benz would either start with a V8 or come supercharged from the factory. NA power from the I6's is just lacking.
So the C32 is on my mind right now.