PDA

View Full Version : Mint 1998 C43 AMG, what's it worth?

PJZabo
07-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking about selling my 1998 C43. I looked 5 months to find this car. It has every option including Bose stereo, xenons, CD changer, headlight cleaners, integrated phone, 2 tone interior, etc.. 100% original with all records of service. I am the third owner - first owner was in PA and second was in Atlanta. The car has fresh Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires front and back and new factory AMG floormats in front. Never hit, very well maintained - tranny had a major service on warranty at 35K which included fluid change. Would appreciate peop0le's opinion on what it's worth and what I should ask. I don't trust edmunds or KBB for this kind of car and I don't want to trade it in at a Ford dealership (need to buy a truck) Thanks, Pete abbejg26@hotmail.com

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1362/2/86/35/72/71/7/771723586203_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1362/2/86/35/91/59/1/159913586203_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1362/2/86/35/72/71/5/571723586203_0_ALB.jpg

dono
07-21-2005, 05:14 PM
what did you pay for it?

alboogiee
07-21-2005, 05:14 PM
mileage? any other important info that would be a determining factor?

also check other web sites, cars.com autotrader to see what people are asking...pretend to be a potential buyer and try to talk them down as far as they will go.

also private party and trading your car to a dealer are going to be two drasticly different numbers, you cant realistcly compare selling the car privatly to what the ford dealer would give you....

PJZabo
07-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Sorry - car has 59K miles on it. I paid $19,600 a year ago. I understand that I will get hosed by the dealer - I didn't even investigate a trade in price with him. I was wondering what a fair private party value is for a reasonably quick sale. I don't have to sell it immediately to get the truck, but I don't want to take 6 months to sell it either.

dono
07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
it is probably worth more than what you paid for it. think about it, what else can you get for say 22 grand that performs the way it does?

c55m8o
07-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by dono
it is probably worth more than what you paid for it. think about it, what else can you get for say 22 grand that performs the way it does? Ya, I wish. Norm couldn't get $25K that's now dropped to 22K for his C55 converted C43; a stock C43 isn't going to fetch that.

When I came to the realization late last year of the fact I probably wouldn't get more then $18K for my 98 C43 w/63K miles, it was a big factor in why I didn't trade it in and dropped a E55 motor in it instead (and doing a lot of other mods now too).

alboogiee
07-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
Ya, I wish. Norm couldn't get $25K that's now dropped to 22K for his C55 converted C43; a stock C43 isn't going to fetch that.

When I came to the realization late last year of the fact I probably wouldn't get more then $18K for my 98 C43 w/63K miles, it was a big factor in why I didn't trade it in and dropped a E55 motor in it instead (and doing a lot of other mods now too).
:werd:

i would start the asking at about $23/$24k and then bargin down to no more then $20k from there

Sulaco
07-22-2005, 03:46 AM
I'll trade you.

KBB tells me my car is worth $1,850 in "good" condition.

dono
07-22-2005, 04:10 AM
If you hold out for the right person (that wants that car) you will get your price.
in my humble opinion; a converted C43 with the larger engine may or may not be worth more depending upon how you look at it; even though the 5.4 litre engine is worth more than the 4.3 by itself, the car has been modified and is no longer considered stock. On the other hand, if the right person comes along and is dying to have a C43/55 he or she will pay the price.

Good Luck.

c55m8o
07-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by dono
a converted C43 with the larger engine may or may not be worth more depending upon how you look at it; even though the 5.4 litre engine is worth more than the 4.3 by itself, the car has been modified and is no longer considered stock I don't want to jak PJZabo's thread but I'll add, I've heard that and would otherwise agree regarding worth of stock vs worth of modified from my days of being mad over 60's muscle cars when I was a teen in the 70's ... if I hadn't driven my car both with the 4.3L and the 5.5L ... ;) It's the way the car should have come, but MB had to keep the C in the E's shadow, thus the smaller engine. You'll notice as the CLK didn't have a direct competitor in MB's line-up at the time, it could come equipped with the 5.5L engine. Anyway, not to elaborate more on it on this thread. If you have thoughts on this, there's some other threads from me on my conversion so please post them there.

PJZabo, to get back on track, I certainly hope you can get at or near what you paid for it, but unfortunately even around $18K seems to be tough to get for that year car these days. When I did research years ago about trading it in, I discovered the year of the car had a much larger factor in what the car's resale value is as opposed to milage... i.e. a car with 10K vs 50K miles didn't have as big a difference in resale as a '99 vs. '98 did; even if that '98 had 10K miles and the '99 had 50K miles. :( I bought a left-over '98 Memorial Day of '99, so I was bumbed about that (but I got an incredible price, so wasn't that dejected) I hope you get your price. Sorry to see you leave the club ... Doing the 5.4L swap with new motor mounts totally breaths new life into the car ya know... :p

coolcarlskic43
07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by c55m8o Doing the 5.4L swap with new motor mounts totally breaths new life into the car ya know... :p [/B] I have to definitely agree with Steve there!It's a totally different car.

I think Norm can't get his price bcause it's on the west coast.There are a ton of C43's and 55's there so why pay that price when i could just get a E55.Over here on the East coast I feel he would get his price because other than the guys I know,(Steve&Curtis),I have not seen another C43 since I bought mine in 2/04.It's a very very rear car and I think the right person would buy one for said price.In the North East that is.

Also,I cannot see how in the world putting a 5.5L motor in a c43 would kil it's value. If anything it would be worth more as far as street value is concerned.The samething with a BMW 325i.I put a 3.2L M3 motor in mine and a guy just bought it from me for 11,500.00.I originally bought it as pictured (BLK CAR)for 5600.00 with the 2.5L motor.

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/6527/test13ko.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us).

Engine upgrades do not necessarily take away from the value of the car.Alot of people are glad to spend the money because someone all ready did the mod for them.The values of the toyota supras go up as well when you mod them. Like they say,There's an Ass for every seat"!
Back to original post,I'd chance it and start at 22k OBO!

PJZabo
07-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I am going to ask $19995 (play the psychological pricing game - "its under $20K man")

I agree that the car is very rare on the East Coast and you can't replicate the combination of exclusivity, performance and quality for the money, but you have to find the right buyer and finding the guy that wants a low mileage 1988 in white could take awhile I guess. If you know anybody that's interested, the car is on Long Island, NY.

Thanks,

Pete