PDA

View Full Version : Koni Adjustable Shock Question

JonC43
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
I just put in a set of Koni's and I had a few questions on their use.

1. The left front adjustable is somewhat obscured by the throttle linkage. What is the best way to adjust this one?

2. I set the shocks in a vise before putting them in, but how do they generally adjust (I want to be more educated before I start adjusting them)? I have a slight fear that I might have adjusted them to different levels.

Does the knob stop turning after it is fully sport or fully soft, or does it turn without end? I would like to turn them all back to the same point and start over (if there is a starting point/stop).

Please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Renn 208
07-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately, I am unaware of a good way to adjust the konis while they are installed on the car.

Hopefully those with the konis can chime in with more specific help.

Denlasoul
07-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Sounds like you have the externally adjustable Koni's?

JonC43
07-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes, I have the externally adjustable ones. They come through the top and are adjustable from the engine compartment/trunk.

07-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by JonC43
I just put in a set of Koni's and I had a few questions on their use.

1. The left front adjustable is somewhat obscured by the throttle linkage. What is the best way to adjust this one?

2. I set the shocks in a vise before putting them in, but how do they generally adjust (I want to be more educated before I start adjusting them)? I have a slight fear that I might have adjusted them to different levels.

Does the knob stop turning after it is fully sport or fully soft, or does it turn without end? I would like to turn them all back to the same point and start over (if there is a starting point/stop).

Please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Dear friend,

I've also the koni externally adjustable same of yours....but hey your is an AMG mine only a kompressor:)

1. you have to keep away the throttle linkage. This on my manual W202 is quite easy, only a nut. It's not possible otherwise. As far as the trunk, I've done a small cut in the trunk covering to made faster the adjustment.

2. to adjust the shock consider that the range is about of 1 and half turn from softer to harder set up. You can start form both side, I suggest to start from the softer position and try the ride you prefer. Actually I've only half a turn per each shock. You feel the knob will stop in both the extreme position, do not force over.

I've had the same question to you when I've just installed on my car 7 mounths ago.

Furhter consider that as per my experience, after few mounths the shock will be softer, probably because the initial work.

Hope to help you, please ask if you need.:)

JonC43
07-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Thank you very much. I owe you an incredible debt. I was hoping to get this issue resolved before this morning because I am going in to the shop today to make some adjustments to my springs. Now, I can do some testing.

Thank you again!!:D

07-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Thank you very much. I owe you an incredible debt. I was hoping to get this issue resolved before this morning because I am going in to the shop today to make some adjustments to my springs. Now, I can do some testing.

Thank you again!!:D

You are welcome, I'm happy to help you. I understand your point of view: before any meeting to the shop is better to well know how the system work...sometimes also the mechanic that install the components do not know hot the stuff works:(

Hi

Marco:)

coolcarlskic43
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
You are welcome, I'm happy to help you. I understand your point of view: before any meeting to the shop is better to well know how the system work...sometimes also the mechanic that install the components do not know hot the stuff works:(

Hi

Marco:) LOL! I was totally lost by your explanation!

JonC43
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it's a difficult and very involved question. I guess the answer needed the same amount of attention.

I have the car now. It is on it's softest setting, but I am still busting my butt as I drive around. I don't know if I will be able to tolerate this rough ride for long.

Does anyone have a similar situation? Some people were saying that the softest setting was similar to the original AMG setup.

Are there any explanations for why it could be so rough other than:

1. It's on the rough setting
2. That's how it is

coolcarlskic43
07-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah, it's a difficult and very involved question. I guess the answer needed the same amount of attention.

I have the car now. It is on it's softest setting, but I am still busting my butt as I drive around. I don't know if I will be able to tolerate this rough ride for long.

Does anyone have a similar situation? Some people were saying that the softest setting was similar to the original AMG setup.

2. That's how it is Mmmm There are definitely a few guys with your setup on this forum. try searching using KONI or H&R.There are some guys that compare setups that should be able to give you some info!

JonC43
07-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I read all of their comments and I was hoping that they would see this thread and come to comment.

Actually, my ride is beginning to settle down a little bit. It is still hard, but the bumps are not shaking the frame as before. For some reason, however, the back feels extra springy and will send me out of my seat if I hit a pothole just right.

coolcarlskic43
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I read all of their comments and I was hoping that they would see this thread and come to comment.

Actually, my ride is beginning to settle down a little bit. It is still hard, but the bumps are not shaking the frame as before. For some reason, however, the back feels extra springy and will send me out of my seat if I hit a pothole just right. try asking guys in MB world in the E55,E,S,CLK 430 threads etc etc!

c55m8o
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Actually, my ride is beginning to settle down a little bit. It is still hard, but the bumps are not shaking the frame as before. Are you sure you don't need new motor mounts? (yes, that again.;) )

coolcarlskic43
07-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
Are you sure you don't need new motor mounts? (yes, that again.;) ) Steve I forgot about that one and I think you hit the nail right on the head!!!When they are replaced ,you have a totally different car as myself and Curtis are finding out!

PS by the way I still didnt get my car back yet!

speedybenz
07-22-2005, 09:21 PM
JonC43,

Were you looking to buy a set of Delrin front swaybar bushings if so I have them made and the cost is $65 for the set and they are sitting on the shelf.

Steve,

Your Penskes were sent with the wrong shock tops on the rear shocks and I should get those parts soon to swap out the parts and then send you the total package. Do you notice that the 5.5L engine is heavier or does it weight the same . I am buying the springs for you early next week.

Jeff

c55m8o
07-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Steve,
Your Penskes were sent with the wrong shock tops on the rear shocks and I should get those parts soon to swap out the parts and then send you the total package. Do you notice that the 5.5L engine is heavier or does it weight the same . I am buying the springs for you early next week. Thanx for the update. I was going to give you a call Saturday as a matter of fact. I think yes, the weight difference is noticed, though not terribly. I'd say it's most noticible as a bit more sway. Do you think I'd need to have heavier springs? (tho if my ride is "softer" then yours by just a little, that would be OK with me). I know you run heavier sway bars, and your package doesn't include that. What are your thoughts on what I should do, if anything?

coolcarlskic43
07-23-2005, 02:04 AM
JonC43,

Were you looking to buy a set of Delrin front swaybar bushings if so I have them made and the cost is $65 for the set and they are sitting on the shelf.

Steve,

Your Penskes were sent with the wrong shock tops on the rear shocks and I should get those parts soon to swap out the parts and then send you the total package. Do you notice that the 5.5L engine is heavier or does it weight the same . I am buying the springs for you early next week.

Jeff It does have a different crank than the 4.3L but if I'm right there may be and I stress may be a 50lb difference crank and rods combined. I'll take the bushings Jeff if they are available.Send a paypal money request to coolcarlski@yahoo.com.And info on where to get bigger sway bars would be appreciated Jeff thanx!

coolcarlskic43
07-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by c55m8o
Thanx for the update. I was going to give you a call Saturday as a matter of fact. I think yes, the weight difference is noticed, though not terribly. I'd say it's most noticible as a bit more sway. Do you think I'd need to have heavier springs? (tho if my ride is "softer" then yours by just a little, that would be OK with me). I know you run heavier sway bars, and your package doesn't include that. What are your thoughts on what I should do, if anything? That bit more sway means that your suspension is going ,if anythng there's only a 50lb difference between the two motors Steve.The blks are the same just slightly bigger pistons and different crankshaft.I guess you have'nt installed the new suspension yet. I personally have'nt noticed a difference other than MASSIVE TQ.:D

JonC43
07-23-2005, 05:25 AM
JonC43,

Great! After doing my suspension, I was surprised at the ease of changing the bushings on the front. I should be able to it it in about 15 mins.

What is the best way to send you payment?

c55m8o
07-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
That bit more sway means that your suspension is going ,...I personally have'nt noticed a difference other than MASSIVE TQ.:D ya, but don't you hit your brakes and slow down =before= coming up on a turn? :p I have the bad habit of conciously not hitting the brakes; what's bad about that is it doesn't properly weight the car on the turning tire and actually works against me ... whether not braking or braking late, I feel more sway there (tho now that that massive trq has me hitting turns I'm use to 5-15mph faster then before, I =have= to hit the brakes at times I otherwise wouldn't :D )

speedybenz
07-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Steve,

I think I will stick with the slightly softer springs in front, they are still about twice the spring rate of the stockers. If you feel the need to go stiffer after you get the package we can talk about either that or other changes.

Jonc43, the best way to pay to to go to speedybnz.com and use paypal. Thanks

Jeff

JonC43
07-23-2005, 02:31 PM
When I went to your site, I only found a place to order your camber arms. Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but could you help me out a little bit more?

J Irwan
07-24-2005, 02:15 PM

2. That's how it is

Did you use the stock bump stop..

I am assuming you're aware that you will need to cut the stock rubber bump stop since the car is sitting lower now.

Other wise when the suspension compressed the shock have got a chance to its job and the shock boddy and the car body squeeze the bump stock in between in which might explain the rough bumpy ride..

Regardz,

knvs
07-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Did you use the stock bump stop..

I am assuming you're aware that you will need to cut the stock rubber bump stop since the car is sitting lower now.
whats hte rubber bump stop? I"m not aware of this. I replaced the spring pads when i lowered my car and used the new rubber bushing or nub thingy that came with the bilstein shocks

07-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
LOL! I was totally lost by your explanation!

Please coluld you explain the meaning of your sentence.

It's related to my bad english explanation:) :rolleyes:

Further, what does it means "LOL"?

...I hope that JohnC43 have solved his Koni set up problem.

I can confirm that when I installed the same koni externally adjustable with H&R spring, the ride comfort was totally wasted, ...at least compared to the factory elegance set up.

Hi:) ;)

JonC43
07-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by knvs
whats hte rubber bump stop? I"m not aware of this. I replaced the spring pads when i lowered my car and used the new rubber bushing or nub thingy that came with the bilstein shocks

When you take off the sheath to the shock, there should have been a yellowish cylinder about 2.5 inches long. That is your bump stop.

/I seem to have other problems...as in when I adjust the shocks, nothing changes. It neither becomes harsher nor softer.