PDA

View Full Version : Failed MOD - EXTERIOR SKIRT LED

CKlasse
07-03-2003, 07:32 PM
The goal was similiar to this....

http://members.aol.com/denvervw/LEDskirts/mini-DSC02281.jpg

So I purchased 8 set of snakeeyes from mymercedes for $50
http://members.aol.com/denvervw/LEDskirts/LEDskirt01.jpg

Drilled Rieger Tuning side skirt on each side...
http://members.aol.com/denvervw/LEDskirts/LEDskirt02.jpg

Installed the LED with the little plastic housing -- reinforced by silicone in the back.
http://members.aol.com/denvervw/LEDskirts/LEDskirt03.jpg

And installed the skirt... then I fixed the angle and glue it with some more silicone in the back. Power is hardwired to the door sensor.. the LED will turn only when door is open.
http://members.aol.com/denvervw/LEDskirts/LEDskirt04.jpg

Unfortunately, rieger skirts are uneven and some of the LED reflections are larger than the rest - not because of angle differences but because of the height different! Yuck... I cut the cable... time to move on.

$50 and 3 hours out the door. :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad:

MrSpace
07-03-2003, 07:42 PM
the top picture is nice

unfortunately it will probably be the next rice/neon type of mod

well, probably not because it's not visible enough for ricers

Etienne

CKlasse
07-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by MrSpace
the top picture is nice

unfortunately it will probably be the next rice/neon type of mod

well, probably not because it's not visible enough for ricers

Etienne

Etienne,

I thought of that too..but these LEDs are connected to the 'IL Door sills.' They are not lighted up constantly.

It's a nice surprise when you pulled into a parking lot, opened the door and fiola... 4 LEDs beaming down on the side of your benz. At least that was my inspiration! :(

Ozzie Bob
07-03-2003, 08:10 PM
That would looks sweet man! Maybe contact Brabus and ask them what they use :confused:
Meanwhile, my new car doesn't have 'puddle lights' in the doors :( I do, however, have some cool HSV Sill Plates :D :cool:

MrSpace
07-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Etienne,

I thought of that too..but these LEDs are connected to the 'IL Door sills.' They are not lighted up constantly.

It's a nice surprise when you pulled into a parking lot, opened the door and fiola... 4 LEDs beaming down on the side of your benz. At least that was my inspiration! :(

plus it gives a good view if you parked over a water puddle(sp?)

what exactly you don't like? the dofference in the circle size on the ground? isn't there a way to ajust this with a different resistor attached to the LED?

Etienne

nokia8860
07-03-2003, 08:41 PM
coolness man. Ive been lag'n on putting those on project amg turbo for bnzsport and for slk320.

perhaps you need to visit the plastic store and get some frosted acrylic to put infront of the led to diffuse it ;)

Denlasoul
07-04-2003, 05:23 PM
I like 'em. Definitely a nice custom touch for a car. Also, since it is used only when doors are opened, I wouldnt consider it rice at all.

CKlasse: If I were you, I'd find a way to get this mod to work.

CKlasse
07-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

CKlasse: If I were you, I'd find a way to get this mod to work.

Rieger skirts wont work due to the angles. I am planning to replace them with AMG Skirts... only then I ll consider redoing this mod.

perhaps you need to visit the plastic store and get some frosted acrylic to put infront of the led to diffuse it

The LED has its own mini projector. The different heights of the skirt what really screw things up.

Gimme some time... i ll get this mod working one way or another..just not with these skirts.

714guy
07-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey Cklasse can you send me the link where you got the lights, i wanted to do this along time ago and forgot about it. once you get the amg skirts( i have same set up), we should get together and take some photos, it'll be like the yin and the yang. :D :D :D

jason

Denlasoul
07-06-2003, 07:56 PM
CKlasse:

Oh yeah, caught that part about the different angles. What I meant is that you should do this mod (even if you change bodykits). I think it is dope and you should really find a way to make it work. Maybe with the different kit?

Good luck.

CKlasse
07-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
Hey Cklasse can you send me the link where you got the lights, i wanted to do this along time ago and forgot about it. once you get the amg skirts( i have same set up), we should get together and take some photos, it'll be like the yin and the yang. :D :D :D

jason

Sure! Here is the link...

http://www.myroadster.net/led.asp

Part # #SL-BWU (Blue Snake Eyes)$5.95 a pop :(

Under Pressure
07-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Don't give up. Why not set the lights back a little and make sure they are all the same length form the road? It may take a while, but shouldnt be too hard. It will be easy as ABC compared to some other things you have in mind for you C220.

speedybenz
07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
CKlasse,

I think its a good mod to give up on. Sorry

Jeff

speedybenz
07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
CKlasse,

I think its a good mod to give up on. Sorry

Jeff

speedybenz
07-14-2003, 09:13 AM
CKlasse,

Just wnated to let you know I think your car looks great with the body kit and such. Very clean, very sporty.

Great job.

How is your turbo setup going.

JEff

CKlasse
07-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz
CKlasse,

Just wnated to let you know I think your car looks great with the body kit and such. Very clean, very sporty.

Great job.

How is your turbo setup going.

JEff

Thanks Jeff, unfortunately the car is in the shop due to recent incident. Turbo is still around the corner... for now, I am restoring the car.

Brabus
07-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
coolness man. Ive been lag'n on putting those on project amg turbo for bnzsport and for slk320.

perhaps you need to visit the plastic store and get some frosted acrylic to put infront of the led to diffuse it ;)

Yeah, let's do it!! :P