PDA

View Full Version : MP3 connection to stock radio

ledrocnoc
07-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I searched through the forum, and even though there is a lot of information on radios I didn't find all of what I am looking for.

I have a 1998 C43 with the stock radio. I'd like to keep the radio (mostly for the stock look - but again I might toss it unless someone tells me that I can pro-program more than 6 FM radio stations!) and connect a Hard Drive MP3 player.

I am looking at the Omnifi DMP1 unit (I can get one for $100 from a friend). Check Ominifi DMP1 (http://www.omnifimedia.com/products/omnifi_details.jsp?productId=12541) for more details.

The unit consists of a hard drive housing (planning to mount that in the truck where the CD changer usually mounts), a head unit (will go under the head unit where the Phone control unit is) and various cables, etc...

I have a couple of questions:

1 - Connection to the head unit is through a pair of RCA connector: What are the options to do this? At the head unit or the CD changer location in the trunk? Anything besides Blitzsafe?

2 - Connection to the power harness: any options beside the usual splice in the existing power harness?

3 - Dimming wire: is there in the radio harness a "dimming wire" (wire that tells the unit to dim the display when the headlights are on)?

Thank for the help.

Rocket
07-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I would just get a new kenwood KDC-X889 deck. That's what I did.

c55m8o
07-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Don't think with the "stock" radio ... however there's an input module available if you did the MBenzNL COMAND upgrade to your car. I have mine on order from Steve MBenzNL.

davis449
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_results.asp?model=R170&class=slk-class&category=MP3+Adapter

This is what I'm using for audio for my Carputer to my stock system in my 99 C 280 Sport. I will post about it when I get it later this week.

c55m8o
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by davis449
http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_results.asp?model=R170&class=slk-class&category=MP3+Adapter

This is what I'm using for audio for my Carputer to my stock system in my 99 C 280 Sport. I will post about it when I get it later this week. That's pretty kewl. Thanx for sharing. Tho I note from their diagram and explaination, it is completely separate from the Radio ... i.e. it doesn't input into the radio, rather sits in series with the signal going from the radio to the amp. Some downside as you can't have your headunit on to receive calls if you have the integrated phone kit, because having the headunit on overrides the MP3 player's input, but still pretty neat all the same.

pnsji
07-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Make sure it has connection for the rear since SLK has only front speakers.
The harness is only have 4 wires for speakers(Left Front and Right Front).

davis449
08-01-2005, 07:17 AM
I looked at the adapter and it has connections for all eight speakers. The plug in for the stock wiring harness is actually the VW wiring harness with all eight speaker outputs. I haven't tested it yet, I will post again in my carputer thread when I do and will let this thread know when I have posted to my carputer thread. I haven't had a chance since I was moving all weekend into my new apartment.

davis449
08-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I tried this adapter and it didn't work, I sent it back to Dick Bipes, the guy who makes it, and he is running diagnostics on it to see if it was defective or it just isn't compatible. Although I'm about 90% sure I'm going to return it anyway in favor of an aftermarket deck from Blaupunkt.