PDA

View Full Version : What tire size and other options??

nikhajar202
08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi,
I'm planning to purchase my first 18 in wheel and are a liiittle worried about the tire prices... it is 18x8.5 all around..

What are the tire sizes that could be used and rough ballpark figure on how they cost(average quality)?
I know that I could look it up and google it but i just need some advice from other more experienced members ;)
Oh, and one more thing :p...will it affect the smoothness of the ride??

Thanks for your help!!

vbrock1137
08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Most people run a 225/40-18 in the front and a 255/35-18 in the rear. You can also run the 225 in the rear if you want to be able to rotate the tires, but the 255 looks better and will give you more traction.

Most good tires in these sizes are $150-250 each, but you can get some decent ones for around $100 each.

Yes, the ride quality will be affected some, but it won't be too bad. Heavier wheels will effect the ride more.

Check out tirerack.com, they usually have pretty good prices and are very knowledgeable. If you call them ask for Luke, he answers a lot a questions over on mercedesshop.com

nikhajar202
08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
hmm...by saying that the ride will be affected means that the smoothness is not like a benz should be?? Coz we all know that benz ride is super smooth...
Sorry for those dumb questions cos this is my first time using an 18" wheel...

Thanks!

nokia8860
08-02-2005, 02:41 PM
you will change the ride quality when you move up to an aggressive setup like you posted.

If youre interested more in ride quality you may want to consider either sticking with your stock wheel and buying better tires.

Its really what you want out of your ride which will dictate which direction you go. Some here like that smooth/plush ride others like to have their fillings rattle loose.

As for tire prices. Most of us here do not sell tires so we wont know the price of tire today. Best bet is to contact your local tire place or one of the large online vendors for prices.