PDA

View Full Version : Question about Blaupunkt recievers and MB ISO DIN compatibility (did search)

davis449
08-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I was wondering if you can directly plug and play with a Blaupunkt head unit in an MB without any complications. I am seriously looking into buying a Blaupunkt because some of their product line has DIN ISO connections.

neema12
08-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I dont think they are direct plug in to mercedes, but I am not sure. Why would you buy a HU just because it is a direct plug in. 10min of work and a bit of wiring will allow you to open your market to a vast number of other HUs. What Blaupunkt reciver are you eyeing?

davis449
08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I've got my eye on the Monterrey MP35 HU from them. I didn't want to have to hassle with making an adapter for another aftermarket HU. The Blaupunkt has the same ISO connector as my stock harness, so I wouldn't have to do anything except plug and go. Plus, I have so many wires back there already because of the monitor and such, I really don't want to put much more back there, it's just too much of a pain in the ass. The thing that's got me most confused is watching out for overpowering the Bose amplifier. I looked at the specs on the plug and play Becker Monza and HK Traffic Pro and they're all 4 ohm impedance and somewhere around 18-25 RMS with 35-50 max power. I figured if people are already running those then there shouldn't be any problem running pretty much any aftermarket HU straight up with no Hi Lo converter. I really don't want to screw with that crap again. Plus, I've extensively and throughly read the Nakamichi installation threads and the guys on here running those are doing it with no Hi Lo converter on the 98 up models and they say the sound is great. Basically I'm doing this for the Aux-in capability so I can run my carputer through it instead of messing with the stock head unit. Plus, I figured since Blaupunkt is German and they already have made stock head units for many German manufacturers, including MB, why not just use them? I went down to a shop called Custom Sounds here today to look at a couple and they didn't have the one I really wanted, so I'm waiting till tomorrow to go over to a select dealer to see a bigger selection.

neema12
08-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Why do you want to add a HU to a carputer? It seems it will not only add more noise into the system unless installed perfectly, but it will just cost. You dont want to use the laptop cd player? You can add AUX in from the sound card. Explain what you are shooting for, unless I skipped past it in your last post.

davis449
08-08-2005, 12:05 PM
The carputer is hooked up all the way except for audio into the stock Bose audio system in the car. It is way too much of a pain in the ass to integrate it with the stock Head Unit, so I'm going aftermarket so I can get an Aux-In and probably better sound.

nokia8860
08-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Most decks can be installed in the 202 without any wires being cut via a VW audio adaptor (search on the site for this if you havent already)

So you really dont need to focus on 1 deck unless that is the deck you really want.

Also for both pre and post fiberoptic radio blitzsafe makes an aux in adaptor for you stock radio as well which isnt must of a pain in the ass since its just plug and play.

davis449
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, see, the thing is, I don't have much more room behind the dash because of the 7" touchscreen. I need something that will let me avoid using way more wires, which will be required to put in an Alpine or something else. Blaupunkt is matched up with the stock harness and I went ahead with the Monterrey MP35 with the changeable color display so I can match it closely with the exisitng dash lights. The other part of that is that I was not going to pay over $200 for a deck considering I only needed it to be an enabler (in other workds, let me use my carputer) and play CD's. Plus, I didn't want to lose complete use of my CD playing capability which is why I wouldn't even consider a CD changer AUX-IN (plus it's like $250 minimum for a fiber-op Aux-In). This way I get to keep CD playing capability, and it's in the car where I want it, and I can use my carputer for MP3 playback, GPS, etc. By the way, the Nakamichi install thread has come in very handy, Nokia, thanks for that.

nokia8860
08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Looks like you did a lot of research into what you want. Make sure you post up your progress so if others wanted to emulate it they can follow along. :)

davis449
08-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I will definitely do that, nokia, I will put it in the carputer thread I had previously posted. That way people here can follow along with all the stuff I did for the carputer installaion.