PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Going, Can I make the drive?

Eiknujrac
08-14-2005, 09:00 AM
So I think my tranny is finally giving up. Its a 1998 C280 with 91k miles on it. Its been fine ever since I bought it, but one day on the way home, I slowed down at a stop sign and tried to accelerate, and the transmission responds with a huge CLUNK like I had hit a huge pothole in the road or something. Is this a sign of the transmission failing? It has done it maybe 2-3 times in the past 2 weeks, and the last one was the worst. Other than those couple of times, the transmission acts normal.

My question is this, I have a REALLY important trip to Oklahoma next week (I live in texas, its about a 6 hour drive) and I don't know if the car will make the drive. Does anyone have any experience on how long these transmissions last when they start giving up? Getting a ride with someone is impossible, and I can't take a flight because I'm going to be carrying a lot of stuff in my car. And I doubt 3 days is enough time for a shop to fix the problem.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J Irwan
08-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Eiknujrac
So I think my tranny is finally giving up. Its a 1998 C280 with 91k miles on it. Its been fine ever since I bought it, but one day on the way home, I slowed down at a stop sign and tried to accelerate, and the transmission responds with a huge CLUNK like I had hit a huge pothole in the road or something. Is this a sign of the transmission failing? It has done it maybe 2-3 times in the past 2 weeks, and the last one was the worst. Other than those couple of times, the transmission acts normal.

My question is this, I have a REALLY important trip to Oklahoma next week (I live in texas, its about a 6 hour drive) and I don't know if the car will make the drive. Does anyone have any experience on how long these transmissions last when they start giving up? Getting a ride with someone is impossible, and I can't take a flight because I'm going to be carrying a lot of stuff in my car. And I doubt 3 days is enough time for a shop to fix the problem.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would not drive the car before I have inspected by qualified mechanics....

I would just rent a car if taking a flight is not possible..

If you still value your car and your own safety...just leave the car at the shop and get a rental..

Regardz,

nokia8860
08-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
I would not drive the car before I have inspected by qualified mechanics....

I would just rent a car if taking a flight is not possible..

If you still value your car and your own safety...just leave the car at the shop and get a rental..

Regardz,

Ditto

Under Pressure
08-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Could you imagine your car crapping out 6 hours from home and having to get it towed back or having it repaired there while you have to wait for it a day or two or having to return to get it. No way!

fastmayte
08-14-2005, 06:48 PM
fluid level? have mr tranny or even dealer check it out.

Eiknujrac
08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Could my problem just be low fluid? I don't think its "slipping" although I've never experienced a transmission slipping before. All thats happening is a clunk, sometimes a huge clunk, when it downshifts from 2 to 1. It shifts pretty well and never seems to be "slipping" but again I don't know what that means. thanks!