PDA

View Full Version : 1999 c280 Factory Stereo Problem

gdt858
08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm trying to play a mp3 cassette adapter in my '99 c280's factory stereo, but since there is a wire connected to the adapter, the face of the unit won't close all the way. Since it won't close all the way, the unit makes a really loud and onbnoxious beeping sound every 30 seconds or so. Has anyone figured out a way to get around this or are car cassette adpaters just not meant to work with the factory stereo? Any imput is useful. Thanks.

davis449
08-16-2005, 02:07 PM
OMG! I had a total catastrophe with this thing. I borrowed my friend's iPOD for the trip I had to make in my new 99 C 280 from Chicago to San Antonio, where I live. I discovered the same thing you did. What I found is that if you plug the sensor, it will be on the right side of the fold down screen on the unit, not on the screen, it will quit the annoying beeping sound. But you have to make sure you plug it good cause that sucker is stronger than you think. Don't try to shut the screen cause you could end up doing what I did and break the damn latch that holds it up there. I did that and ended up super gluing it shut cause A. the tape adapter's appearance sucks with that screen down all the time and B. The sound was freakin' terrible and C. I don't use cassettes anymore so I wouldn't miss it. I ended up changing the head unit cause it's a hell of a lot easier.

gdt858
08-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I started messing around with the sensor a bit today on my lunch, but I didn't plug it well. I'm glad to know I'm doing the right thing though. What did you use to plug it? I put some tape over it but that didn't work. When I put my finger over it there was no beeping. It must be about pressure. Appreciate the quick reply, take care.

davis449
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I used some kleenex and some scotch tape, like I said it was never meant to be permanent. You should highly consider gettting an aftermarket head unit if this is something you are going to use often.