PDA

View Full Version : rear rotors

sanf
08-18-2005, 05:17 AM
I am trying to replace the rear rotors on my 2000 W202 C230K

The caliper unit and safety screw is out but the damn rotor isn't coming out. rust is definitely the factor here. I wd40 all around the center ring thing and banged around the area with a rubber head hammer. No luck at all. What else can I do without purchasing the rotor removal tool? Thanks

crsh2
08-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by sanf
I am trying to replace the rear rotors on my 2000 W202 C230K

The caliper unit and safety screw is out but the damn rotor isn't coming out. rust is definitely the faction here. I wd40 the around the center ring thing and banged around the area with a rubber head hammer. No luck at all. What else can I do without purchasing the rotor removal tool? Thanks

Just keep at it. your almost done. I remember when i change mine. I was banging it but i guess it was not hard enough so my cousin took over and got it out with alittle harder banging in the center.

goodluck

nokia8860
08-18-2005, 07:36 AM
you did back off the parking brake right?

SLAMMED_C
08-18-2005, 04:48 PM
in most cases the rotors will come off without backing off the parking brake.. but then sometimes ya need to.
and dont use a rubber hammer to hit the disc.. use a large metal hammer.. but do not hit the centre of the hub.. where that large nut is.. if you damage that part of the hub the wheel may not bolt up to the car correctly.. just hit it on the hat of the rotor.. and ya can whale on it.. it will come loose.. a tip for ya is to put a wheel bolt into the hub.. just screw it in a few threads so when ya whale on the disc and it comes free.. it doesnt fall of fthe car and drop on your foot or something!

sanf
08-19-2005, 05:21 AM
yup.. parking brake was let go. car was on jackstand. i am gonna go at it again this weekend and see sup. I have new pads on right now and the brakes are squeaking like a ghost. I gotta replace those rotors fast.

oh, will the squeaking go away as soon as i replace my rotors? i know it will take some time for new pads to work in on the used rotors if I dont resurface them.