PDA

View Full Version : rear foglight

willpower
07-06-2003, 07:16 PM
I want to activate the passenger-side rear foglight by tapping into the already-active driver's side one. Has anyone done this yet? I'm guessing all I need to do is tap the positive into the empty connector space, and the ground is already taken care of in the harness, right?

I'm a moron when it comes to anyhting electrical. This Christmas I'm getting one of those Radio Shack Children's Electrician kits.

J Irwan
07-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by willpower
I want to activate the passenger-side rear foglight by tapping into the already-active driver's side one. Has anyone done this yet? I'm guessing all I need to do is tap the positive into the empty connector space, and the ground is already taken care of in the harness, right?

I'm a moron when it comes to anyhting electrical. This Christmas I'm getting one of those Radio Shack Children's Electrician kits.

you might want to deactive the existing fog-light now...
unless you are not intend to use the bumper fog-light for driving..

On the C36's when you pull the switch twice it will activate the front bumper fog-light and the rear fog-light at the same time..

Since I like to use my front bumper fog-light for driving I disconnect my rear fog-light..

unless you really feel a need for a rear fog-light I'd get rid of it..

Regardz,

Denlasoul
07-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Maybe my fogs are wired different, but my front bumper fogs turn on with one pull of the light switch. If I pull it twice, then the little light on the switch turn on, as well as the driver's rear fog.

Did they set it up different in a C36 or pre-98?

J Irwan
07-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Maybe my fogs are wired different, but my front bumper fogs turn on with one pull of the light switch. If I pull it twice, then the little light on the switch turn on, as well as the driver's rear fog.

Did they set it up different in a C36 or pre-98?

only in C36 ;)

Regardz,

willpower
07-06-2003, 10:17 PM
I like to use my front bumper foggies for driving, and the rear to warn tailgaters to back off, and in extremely foggy conditions like that drive from Vancouver to San Jose for Autofest :D

btw, my car's actually a 98 C280 with C36 bumper and fogs, so my switch is also two clicks to activate the rears... dunno if that helps

98_Benzo
07-07-2003, 10:24 AM

I believe you are correct on how to do that. The only thing I would be careful of is overloading on the electrical. I haven't looked at the board or wiring for the rear fog light, but if it is anything like I think it is, then you should be able to do that the way you explained it. Although, I would up your fuse by 5, I am not sure what the fuse for the fog lights is, I am guessing that it is a 35, try to find a 40. Becareful splicing wires also, sometimes they like to come loose (just a fair warning)!! I have a 98 C230 that has the double pull for the rear fog light, so I know what your saying. Your also, going to want to check the bulb and see if it is a dual filament, if not, then get a dual filament bulb or else it's just going to keep exploding. Good luck and let me know how it turns out, I am interested in doing that too.

Rocky
07-07-2003, 10:31 AM
You know whats fun? If you have both rear fog lights hooked up but don't turn them on. Some rice rocket is tailgating you. Pop on the rear fogs and watch him slam on the brakes hahahaha.

98_Benzo
07-07-2003, 10:36 AM
exactly, that would be the coolest. I think tonight, I will go home and try to come up with something.

Rocky
07-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Someone on the sister site put up pics and stuff on how to do it. Too bad the database got wiped.

Eurosport
07-18-2003, 04:54 AM
how would you get rid of the rear fog light without having the cluster light come on?
any way to trick the comp?

pnsji
07-18-2003, 08:44 AM
What happend is that the rear fog light is a two-fillament bulb.
If you plug off the bulb, the computer will complaint.

What you can do is plug off the wire to light up the second fillament of the bulb.
Plug out the connector for the tail light and use a voltmeter to test out which wire you need to plug off.

ryhi
08-27-2003, 08:23 AM
i know this is a old post....but i was playing GT2 on my old playstation last night...i decided to race my C43 on a night course and BOTH rear fogs were lit up!! i know its only a game but it looked sweet!!!