PDA

View Full Version : check engine light

Ashkan's C280
08-23-2005, 12:25 PM
so my check engine light comes on and makes me a bit worried, I have just had my fuel line and filter replaced so I thought I was good, so I think it must be something simple. I go to check oil and its low. Ok I have not added more as my question comes in here, what is the best oil to use? which gives the most hp, and i cannot remember which oil I had in before, does it cause harm if I change it to a different type?

Renn 208
08-23-2005, 01:28 PM
your stated symptoms do not line up with your questions:

search on "Check Engine" to find out why

To answer your separate Oil question, do a search on "mobil 1" or "5-w30" or "synthetic to find many answers to your question.

alphanumeric
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
did you just ask what motor oil will give the most HP as in horse power?

if you think like this.. I think you belong driving a honda.

:D :D :D

Ashkan's C280
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I was refering to speedybenz's post

"Use some Mobil 1 0-20 oil good for 3-5 Hp.
Use Oil Extreme good for 6-8 Hp."

and I thought my check engine light was coming up because of oil being low, so I am asking about it.

jnenad16
08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
if you are low on oil, the "low oil" light will illunimate. check engine can be alot of things, get it scanned. as for oil that increases HP, dont be too optimistic, the best you can gain with a superlubricant is a few HP at best, but if thats what you want, adding a quart wont yield anything, you would have to replace your oil with one of these:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5613&highlight=lubricants+optimal
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5614&highlight=lubricants+optimal

nenad

Ashkan's C280
08-23-2005, 07:06 PM
well I did not want to deal with this for a while so i just ended up getting some mob 1 5w 30 well after 3 containers later the check engine light went off? makes no sense to me I thought the oil light would come on but it did not so meh, thanks for the help ned, and thanks to other jerk comments made, it always helps me solve things faster

benzfan
08-24-2005, 07:42 AM
You of course checked the dipstick while adding oil? 3 containers of oil is a LOT to be low. If what you say is true, it makes one wonder if the bulbs in the back of your instrument cluster are connected to the correct plugs, or has someone in the past crossed a couple up.

The danger in adding too much oil is of course foaming brought about by the crank counterweights constantly stirring through the oil, resulting in the oil pump possibly sucking up air, not oil, starving your engine at a critical time and lunching it.

When a check engine light comes on, you need to get the codes read and reset. You can't simply do a hit or miss diagnosis and it won't go out by itself.

Ashkan's C280
08-24-2005, 09:36 AM
yes I did check I am now half way between min and max on the dip, and something might be up with the blubs, they light up for sure, but the readings could be off, I am not sure, I don't understand it either, but it can turn off if you had a cap off and put it back on, that I know for sure.

benzfan
08-24-2005, 06:49 PM
True about the CEL and the gas cap, as it doesn't set a 'hard' code for that, so the light goes out. I must say though, your description of your symptoms and resolution has me scratching my head. The messed up bulbs from instrument cluster removal in the past is an avenue I'd check out.

Ashkan's C280
08-25-2005, 09:38 AM
isn't the oil light for oil pressure? Not oil level that makes more sense to me than it being for the oil level, because when the check engine light came on it was dangerously low which would ruin the engine, and I am starting to doubt the cross wires the more I think about it, 1. Who the hell would do that, it makes no sense and no purpose of changeing them around, and if it was a mistake what would you be doing with the wires in there in the first place. 2. I once had a coolant leak and the cel came on for that, this was when I first had my car and did not know much about it, so it just just taken to a place to get fixed, but it did come on for that. 3. which would mean only the oil and check engine or everything but the coolant are crossed which just seems weird. 4. That's all I got, and what do I say if I asked them to look at it, my wires in my cluster are crossed?

3mav
09-06-2005, 10:07 AM
hey dude,
i have the same problem right now and it says on the manual that its probably the fuel injection or the emission control system. either way you would still have to bring it in to be checked.
if you have your manual with you check pages 13, and 85.
hey does anyone know where the onboard diagnostic connector is located

Ashkan's C280
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
unno mang, the oil seemed to be the problem for me, and it just went away i passed smog like not a month ago, and I have had my plugs wires air andfuel filter changed as well as the fuel line imma get my tranny flushed in the next few days so I can have them look at it I guess, thanks for the heads up

sig425
09-06-2005, 02:36 PM
The oil light is for low level according to my manual. Adding oil and having the light turn out was probably a coincidence. Some codes will shut off the light on their own if what ever was sending the code ends. You should go to Advance or Autozone, etc and have them pull the codes for free just to be sure. Even if the light goes out the code will still be in there. More than likely it was the gas cap code. I think if you get air in the system from a fuel filter change you can get a gas cap code. A gas cap code is one of the few that can reset itself in a short amount of time. (so many start cycles) Im not sure what it is for the benz but its usually 3 start cycles.

Regarding hp from oil… the lower viscosity oils can help reduce friction which can improve performance but not by any measurable standards. That gain would be out weighed once the car heated up and you would want high viscosity oil for protection. The temperature of the air probably has a bigger impact as well as how much gas (weight) is in the tank.

If you want to easily improve performance reduce wheel weight. I read somewhere that 1 lb wheel weight equates to 50 lb in car weight x 4 wheels. I’m probably way off here but I think it was 10 rwhp necessary to keep performance the same for every 100lbs of in car weight. Other track guys may know the figure better. It has been a long time since I read that article so my numbers are probably wrong. I think it was an article in one of the import mags…. They did the tests with a civic. Some tires are pretty heavy! Next time you buy tires read up on tire weight figures in addition to all the other ratings.

now Im going to have to look for that article :D

sig425
09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
not the articles I was looking for but wrap your mind around this :D

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t146019.html

This one is better:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=400

anyway I think good tire pressure reducing friction is a better way to increase HP. The tires I use on my track car are 45 psi vs street tires normally 32 psi.

cool stuff I think.

3mav
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
i just spent 80.00 to have the prob;em on my car diagnose. could you really have it done over at autozone or advance for free?

714guy
09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
just buy a diagnostic program for your laptop and it will help you solve the problem a lot faster than guessing what the problem is. or you can get the CEL read at autozone for free. We can't relly help if we dont know what the exact problem is.