PDA

View Full Version : eibach? H & R? Vogtland?

C280Rookie
08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone.
Sorry for posting this, but I have searched and found a lot of threads talking about shock/spring set ups. Now I am somewhat confused.
I am thinking of replacing my shocks, and maybe lower my car as well.
I think my choice of shocks is Bilstein Sports.
Now, my question is, which spring would you guys recommend best with the bilsteins?
I would like a firm ride and a slight drop, say maybe 1"-1.5". Is it true that springs tend to settle and increase your drop further?
My choices of springs are Eibach, H&R, and Vogtland. I do appreciate your feedbacks and suggestions, particularly from those who have had the opportunity to have these springs installed on their rides.
Thanks again

:)

manny
08-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Since you ask.
I'm running Eibach Pro-Kit springs & Bilstein Sport shocks.
Great ride, great handling & just the drop you want ( 1" +).
As far as sagging or settling of the springs is concerned, mine are still exactly the same as they were when I installed them a year ago. ;)

C280Rookie
08-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks Manny.

With the Eibachs, did you notice any harshness in ride?

I am running on AMG 17s, so I guess I shouldn't worry about rubbing, huh?
I've read a few threads and it seems that Eibachs are not as harsh as H&R's.

Thanks again for your input.

vbrock1137
08-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I've got Vogtlands on mine. The drop was about 1.5" all around, which was too much in the rear for my taste. I had to double stack the rear spring pads to raise the rear .5" Do a search for "stacked pads" or something and you'll find info. I have a pretty good size subwoofer box in the rear, so that lowers the rear a bit, but not a full .5" It all depends on your car, and it's all slightly adjustable with spring pads. I don't think I've heard of anyone else with an excessive rear drop from Vogtlands, so it might just be me.

The ride is better than stock in my opinion. Less roll, brake dive and squat on accel. with very little added harshness.

I'd recommend 'em.

As for settling, they should settle a little bit within the first week or two. The quoted amount of drop will include this.

C280Rookie
08-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
I've got Vogtlands on mine. The drop was about 1.5" all around, which was too much in the rear for my taste. I had to double stack the rear spring pads to raise the rear .5" Do a search for "stacked pads" or something and you'll find info. I have a pretty good size subwoofer box in the rear, so that lowers the rear a bit, but not a full .5" It all depends on your car, and it's all slightly adjustable with spring pads. I don't think I've heard of anyone else with an excessive rear drop from Vogtlands, so it might just be me.

The ride is better than stock in my opinion. Less roll, brake dive and squat on accel. with very little added harshness.

I'd recommend 'em.

As for settling, they should settle a little bit within the first week or two. The quoted amount of drop will include this.

Thanks VBrock,

I like the drop on your car. Well, in my case, I don't have any subs (not yet!), so probably the drop on my car may not be that much.

Thanks for your input. I have heard nothing but good things about the Vogtland, and they're slightly cheaper than the Eibachs.
Incidentally, what shocks do you have?
Does anyone here know of any good deals around?

vbrock1137
08-24-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm still using my OEM shocks; don't have the cash yet to replace 'em. I plan to throw down the extra money for some Koni externally adjustables (rather than the internally adj.), but I think I'm gonna do a chip and exhaust first.

I got my Vogtlands from purems.com, I think they're about average price, I don't know of anywhere that has 'em any cheaper. purems has a pretty good deal on Bilsteins too.

Denlasoul
08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
I'd ditch the idea of a chip and put the money into your suspension. The chip gains will be very minimal at best.

C280Rookie
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
I'm still using my OEM shocks; don't have the cash yet to replace 'em. I plan to throw down the extra money for some Koni externally adjustables (rather than the internally adj.), but I think I'm gonna do a chip and exhaust first.

I got my Vogtlands from purems.com, I think they're about average price, I don't know of anywhere that has 'em any cheaper. purems has a pretty good deal on Bilsteins too.

Thanks
I will check them out.

jlomon
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I'd ditch the idea of a chip and put the money into your suspension. The chip gains will be very minimal at best.

Not to mention that the stock shocks are going to wear out a lot faster because they weren't designed to work with lowering springs. The travel on Bilstein Sport shocks (which are designed for the lowering springs) is about an inch less.

Jonathan

manny
08-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by C280Rookie

With the Eibachs, did you notice any harshness in ride?

NO.
It's firmer than stock, but by no means harsh !
I like the idea of the Eibach's linear springs at the front & progressive springs at the rear.
Don't know what Vogtland or H&R's springs are like.

vbrock1137
08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm not concerned with wear on the stock shocks, they're worthless to me. They're never gonna go back on the car once I replace them. If they get to be noticeably bad, then they'll become higher priority.

On a side note, my car currently handles better than I need it to for spirited around-town driving, so I'm focusing my money on a few more HP. Plans are CAI, exhaust with high-flow or no cat, and a chip(still deciding who from). I'm hoping for around +10hp from these, but the chip will be the most expensive part, I plan on fabricating the others myself.

jnolte
08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
I have had H&R and eibach both

I prefer the H&R more, they are stiffer and not as bouncy as eibach.

Eibach= Eibounce down the street in my hooptee

i changed my Eibachs to H&Rs and am loving it

manny
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
I
i changed my Eibachs to H&Rs and am loving it

To each his own.
I know a lot more people that have switched the other way. ;)

C280Rookie
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Thank you guys for all your inputs. If you have any more,please feel free to share more.

I guess these it's a toss up between h&r & eibachs. But I am also curious with the vogtland. And I see in some places, they're slightly cheaper than eibach or h&r.

I will see what's the best deal I can probably find online.

I will post whatever brand I end up getting and let you know how the suspension set up goes.

;)

davis449
08-26-2005, 07:42 AM
So by my reasoning, I should be able to use the stock shocks on my Sport model with Eibach lowering springs because the OEM's are Bilstein Sports, right?

cthirtysizzle
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
i had the vogtland/bilstein matched setup from the wheel supply put on my c43. used to have eibachs on my c36. it's a perfect drop and the stiffness is in between h&r and eibach. go to thewheelsupply.com call, ask for sander and they get really good package deals if you buy the two together.

C280Rookie
11-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by cthirtysizzle
i had the vogtland/bilstein matched setup from the wheel supply put on my c43. used to have eibachs on my c36. it's a perfect drop and the stiffness is in between h&r and eibach. go to thewheelsupply.com call, ask for sander and they get really good package deals if you buy the two together.

Thanks for the tip.
I haven't had a chance to buy my shocks & springs yet, so I will contact the wheel supply per your recommendations.
What size pads do you have ?
If it's not too much trouble, got any pics of your setup?
Thanks again.

cthirtysizzle
11-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I haven't had a chance to buy my shocks & springs yet, so I will contact the wheel supply per your recommendations.
What size pads do you have ?
If it's not too much trouble, got any pics of your setup?
Thanks again.

i think i'm running #2 pads all around, and email me directly for pics.

K_Sport Driver
01-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by davis449
So by my reasoning, I should be able to use the stock shocks on my Sport model with Eibach lowering springs because the OEM's are Bilstein Sports, right?
I'm interested in a response to this too. the stock handling on the sport is pretty nice, but a tad lower and stiffer can't hurt (except on potholes, right?) I just picked up my W202 this week, so I'm looking at first mods.

crazy00c230k
01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by davis449

i have a sport and my shocks werent bilstein sports....i think thats only on the amg's, i got eibach springs first and shocks about a year later, i felt a huge difference w/the shocks

iced
01-10-2006, 03:06 AM
another question... and sorry if i get a bit outa subject....
if i installed bilstein shocks with stock springs..... lowering my ride by removing a ring will be safe? i mean will it work?

smOKeSILVER13
01-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by iced
another question... and sorry if i get a bit outa subject....
if i installed bilstein shocks with stock springs..... lowering my ride by removing a ring will be safe? i mean will it work?

If you reduce the number of coils, you increase the spring rate (i.e.) harsher ride. If you're talking about the spring pad rings, then that is a different story. A thinner pad will reduce ride height in small increments.

If you are talking cutting, make sure you do it right. Use either diamond tipped hacksaw blade, pnuematic grinder with abrasive wheel, or bench mounted steel shear. Only cut in 1/4 coil increments and test from there. Cut 1/4, fit onto car, measure, and repeat as needed. If you go this route you are gonna need heavy duty stiffer shocks.

iced
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
so either ways, i'll be payin as much?
(between cutting and bringing new springs)

and if i dt want to lower it much, will removing a ring do the job?

again sorry if i got outa subject

C280Rookie
01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing their thoughts as to which springs to get for my 280.
I am finally ready to change my springs/shocks setup. My bilstein sports arrived the other night, and a few weeks ago I got a good deal also for a set of H&R sport springs.
I will let you know by next week what I think of this setup.

:cool:

VIP_MBZ
01-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry for the late entry, but when I was shopping for springs, I was browsing the Vogtland catalog -- there is actually a different model of rear spring specifically designed for users who have heavy stereo equipment, to counteract for the drop due to weight.

I don't know the part number off-hand, as I ended up going with H&R's, but I did see it there.

-Ray

C280Rookie
01-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by VIP_MBZ
Sorry for the late entry, but when I was shopping for springs, I was browsing the Vogtland catalog -- there is actually a different model of rear spring specifically designed for users who have heavy stereo equipment, to counteract for the drop due to weight.

I don't know the part number off-hand, as I ended up going with H&R's, but I did see it there.

-Ray

Yeah, I saw that too when I was looking at the Vogtland springs.
I don't have a big stereo system, so I thought I don't need those springs.
The best deal I got was for H&R, so I got them.
I am picking my car up tonight, and I will post my feedback on the Bilstein/H&R setup.

C280Rookie
01-26-2006, 07:02 AM
I picked up my car last night. I drove it for a while, and let me tell you, the set up is very nice!
The ride is firm, but not harsh enough to hurt my kidneys! :p
And the body roll is reduced significantly.
You folks here have been a big help.
Thanks heaps. :cool:

VIP_MBZ
01-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I've been using H&R/Bilstein for a while now, I can definitely say I could stand for it to be stiffer, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of a luxury sedan.

-Ray

C280Rookie
01-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I've been using H&R/Bilstein for a while now, I can definitely say I could stand for it to be stiffer, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of a luxury sedan.

-Ray
What springs do you have on now?
I was looking at your sig, and I would like to know what size pads you have at front.
I have to lift my car and look at what is on there now. How long does it take for the springs to settle? My car seems to have the rear slightly lower.
I am curious if the fronts will lower some more when the springs settle down.

VIP_MBZ
01-26-2006, 02:13 PM
What springs do you have on now?
I was looking at your sig, and I would like to know what size pads you have at front.
I have to lift my car and look at what is on there now. How long does it take for the springs to settle? My car seems to have the rear slightly lower.
I am curious if the fronts will lower some more when the springs settle down.

I still have that setup now. I know I have the tallest pads in the rear, but I forget what is up front. It took a few days of commute for it to settle.

I think the rear would be maybe a half inch higher if not for the subs and Mac amps. (heavy!)

-Ray

C280Rookie
01-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I still have that setup now. I know I have the tallest pads in the rear, but I forget what is up front. It took a few days of commute for it to settle.

I think the rear would be maybe a half inch higher if not for the subs and Mac amps. (heavy!)

-Ray

Thanks.

I will give my car a few days, to help the springs settle down. I also had the control arm bushings replaced, my mechanic said that because of these new bushings, my car is higher up front.
A few days of driving will help make the front lower a bit.
Is this true? Or could he be just talking about the new springs?
Mac amps? That's one clean sounding system you have there!;)

Jbizzyc43
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
i have vogtlands on my '98 43 with 19's. it is rubbing barely in the right rear only. its not tucking anywhere, but it's still too low for me. which spring make will give me the least drop? eibach?

Dubbin'
08-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Allrighty.. You want to lower your car? :eek:
Whenever you lower your car you need to replace the shocks. Stock ones will die out if you lower the ride height.. and then will need to be replaced anyways.
You said bilstein shocks for your car? H&R cup kits used to come with bilstein shocks. They were a great match up until H&R decided to make their own shocks.
Eibach or H&R.. Eibach will make your car perform better. Their a popular spring used in race application. Buhhhhht. H&R will give you a bigger drop, and a WAY better look :D IMO.
And yes. Anytime you put a new peice of metal or bushing in your car (sway bars, springs, motor mounts, bushings) They all start off really brittle.. But after they go through their break-in period, They settle down, and work at an effective rate..

Yeah.. Anyways. I hope that helps yah out.

:):eek:

Jbizzyc43
08-22-2006, 12:39 AM
When i lowered the car, i replaced the shocks at the same time with #4 pads all around. I understand all you're saying and thanks for the help, but I just want to know if the eibachs will lower the car LESS than the vogtlands. i want about just a little gap between tire and fender and not the slammed look. I hate the slammed look. it's too ghetto for me.

ahh...the never ending quest for the perfect drop..