PDA

View Full Version : powerslot, brembo or stock rotors?

fastmayte
08-27-2005, 06:32 PM
powerslot (drilled and slotted), brembo (drilled) or stock rotors?

what kinda pads should i get?
pbr's, or other?

i currently have pagids in the front and pbr metal masters in the rear, 20 k miles and my rotors are eaten up. :(

my brake pedal currently goes really far down unless i pump it, it's getting worse and worse as the rotors get thinner.

looking for good stopping distance and less dust. what combo to get?

thankx

jaysonvaldez
08-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I used Axxis brake pads for my rotors

Ashkan's C280
08-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I thought slotted rotors are not good for pads... sort of like a deli slicer

jnolte
08-28-2005, 11:45 AM
buy my c43 calipers off me!

neema12
08-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Check out my last thead in the same section, about c43 brakes.

fastmayte
08-28-2005, 06:53 PM
how much for the 43 calipers?

i found this combo on ebay, powerslot (slotted and drilled) rotors with axiss pads for 310 shipped

or i can go to tirerack and get plain brembo rotors and ceramic pads for 360 shipped

heard that the slotted rotors eat up pads quick. some say they do, some say they don't.

which should i go with?

jnolte
08-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Make an offer

I dont know how much they are worth, i just got C32 brakes and no longer need the 43 calipers

joeyjoeyjoey
08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by fastmayte

i currently have pagids in the front and pbr metal masters in the rear, 20 k miles and my rotors are eaten up. :(

Is there a reason why youre running different pads front and rear? You would end up changing the braking characteristics of the car by doing this.

While I know most will comment that the fronts do the majority of braking you should be trying to achieve balance front and rear not just super power grip to the front. (akin to upgrading to a BBK on the front only... i dont understand the performance benifit of just the fronts... then again I dont understand driving in an oval circle for 500 laps. One can only make left turns for so long.)

I would suggest replacing both front and back with brand new pads and rotors. If you do standard driving then OEM stuff is great but you do a lot of hard braking (slaming on your brakes to prevent rear ending people in traffic doesnt count) then you may want to consider a drilled rotors instead with higher grip pads.

But really consider the type of driving you will do with your car it will help determin which brake setup is right for you.

And always flush your brake fluid!

manny
08-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoeyjoey
then again I dont understand driving in an oval circle for 500 laps. One can only make left turns for so long.)
I

Do NASCAR drivers have a high enough I/Q to read a roadmap? :D

Renn 208
08-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoeyjoey
Is there a reason why youre running different pads front and rear? You would end up changing the braking characteristics of the car by doing this.

I would suggest replacing both front and back with brand new pads and rotors. If you do standard driving then OEM stuff is great but you do a lot of hard braking (slaming on your brakes to prevent rear ending people in traffic doesnt count) then you may want to consider a drilled rotors instead with higher grip pads.

But really consider the type of driving you will do with your car it will help determin which brake setup is right for you.

And always flush your brake fluid!

From what I can tell from the post, I'd suggest stock pads and rotors.

That being said, I'd consider your other rotor options as mostly cosmetic (slotted vs. drilled, etc). If you like them, feel free. On the street, the choice won't make much of a difference.

Feel free to experiment with pads different from stock until you find the right balance between noise and dust.

If you're serious about "stopping distance" then consider your tires, as they are the biggest factor in your braking performace.

If "performance driving" is a real concern (track days) then stopping distance is not a big concern anymore.

Regardless, def go with Joey Trey's advice and change the rotors, pads (4 of the same brand, appropriate for your vehicle), and do a fluid flush.

Proper care always comes before part selection. Get that wrong, and it don't matter if you have 18" drilled/slotted cryo treated XYZ rotors mated to 12-piston calipers. Get the care right, and you might be surprised at how well "OEM" can perform.

fastmayte
08-30-2005, 03:46 AM
hey, thankx for all the advice

i do alot of city driving, and i'm always at 50 mph on regular streets, braking harder than anyone else would. so i would sayt i'm hard on my brakes, but not as hard as track driving.

my goal is to get something close to stock with alot less brake dust and something that wown't eat up the rotors quick.

i considered the power slotted and drilled rotors and axis pads on ebay cuz of price, (310 shipped) and

the tirerack brembo plain rotors with ceramic pads (360 shipped)

or should i just go with autozone's duralast rotors and pads (250)

so which would you guys recommend

Renn 208
08-30-2005, 06:24 AM
I'd go with the cheapest option for now...and if that achieves your goals of longevity and less dust...Great! If not, for the next set go to the next most expensive option, and so on until you've either found the perfect combo, or can at least eliminate the combos you didn't like.

At least that way, you'll know systematically your best price : performance option.

You can always get subjective opinions from folks with similar setups, but you'll only know for sure once you try stuff on your car, under your driving conditions.

In any case, whatever you chose, let us know your impressions from post break-in to after you've put on some miles on the set. That way, everyone can learn from your experience.