PDA

View Full Version : C230 Engine Noise!!!

98_Benzo
07-08-2003, 08:22 AM
The noise keeps getting worse. Everytime I take off from a light (not fast, just normal), I get this loud rattling noise. The sound is like my fan belt making a noise or something. It will rattle all the way until I get to about 3500 RPM's then it dies out, then when it goes to second gear it does the same thing all the way up to 3500 again and it keeps doing that through all the gears. Has anyone had this problem? Please help, it is very annoying!!

BenzMeister
07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
I have a similar noise under the hood of my C280 year 99. It turned out to be the heat shield between the Windscreen washer tank and the engine, on my car the metal shield is held on with some plastic grooves on the washer tank. :D

kodiak
07-08-2003, 10:31 AM
The other thing to check would be loose heat shielding on the exhaust.

~dnm

Rocky
07-08-2003, 10:43 AM
My car shakes like an earthquake in Cali :P

Most likely it's the mounts for me buti wanna try cleaning the injectors.

Techron is good right?

I'm kicking myself for not buying a bottle when I was in Buffalo couple weeks ago. We can;t buy that good techron stuff up here. At least I never seen it.

anyone wanna send me a bottle? :)

98_Benzo
07-09-2003, 08:12 AM
I have a similar noise under the hood of my C280 year 99. It turned out to be the heat shield between the Windscreen washer tank and the engine, on my car the metal shield is held on with some plastic grooves on the washer tank.

Now that you mention that, I think you might be correct on that. I haven't had time to go out and look at it yet, but from the sound of the rattle and where it comes from, that is about the exact area of the car. Thanks for the idea!!!

BenzMeister
07-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
Now that you mention that, I think you might be correct on that. I haven't had time to go out and look at it yet, but from the sound of the rattle and where it comes from, that is about the exact area of the car. Thanks for the idea!!!

I had that annoying noise for a long time, the dealer couldn't find it. I happened to stumble upon very accidentally when I was putting a new plug at the bottom of the tank, the old one leaked. By chance my son came home and asked me what I was doing and I asked him to start up the car just to see if I could find the noise, sure enough around 2K rpm there it was I looked at the heat shield and then put my hand on it and the noise was gone. Just shear luck. Hope it works for you:) :) :)

98_Benzo
07-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I actually think I found out what was wrong. I believe it to be a bad catalytic converter. I will also look into what you mentioned. I am going to go home to night and bang on my converter and see if that is the problem. If that proves to be good, I am going straight for the place you told me. Thanks again!!

BenzMeister
07-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Yes, that is another good possibilties, rotted baffles can be very noisey

jnolte
09-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Kevin

I has this very same problem with my C36 when i first got it. I got under my car grabbed the exhaust and moved it around. I think it was just rattling against something but it went away. It was very annoying. I dont know what it was. But sometimes it comes back but its pretty much gone now.

C280 JR
09-10-2003, 05:00 PM
i just had my head gasket replaced, and now i keep hearing some rattleing noises, when i step on the gas, normaly or lightly

Elvir

BenzMeister
09-11-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by C280 JR
i just had my head gasket replaced, and now i keep hearing some rattleing noises, when i step on the gas, normaly or lightly

Elvir part someone didn't torque correctly and will probably come flying thru the hood any time now. I think I would have it checked ASAP

J Irwan
09-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
I actually think I found out what was wrong. I believe it to be a bad catalytic converter. I will also look into what you mentioned. I am going to go home to night and bang on my converter and see if that is the problem. If that proves to be good, I am going straight for the place you told me. Thanks again!!

dude if you want to replace you cat,
I'd recommend getting Supersprint sport cat..
They run about $199
not bad for aftermarket cat.. (I would expect stock Cat cost more $$$)

Regardz,

CKlasse
09-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Please know this...
SUPERSPRINT, RENNTECH, and most of other after high performance CAT are made by CAR-SOUND. Of course, no-one from the vendors nor manufacturers will admit their trading secret.

If you are interested, go to CAR-SOUND.com for their product details. Compare the specs, dimensions, and shape to SUPERSPRINT or RENNTECH. ;)

Now if you are interested in building these CAT with custom housing that include the Mercedes O2 sensor - talk to me. I can hook up club202 members for under a large bill each.

:)

BenzMeister
09-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
I had that annoying noise for a long time, the dealer couldn't find it. I happened to stumble upon very accidentally when I was putting a new plug at the bottom of the tank, the old one leaked. By chance my son came home and asked me what I was doing and I asked him to start up the car just to see if I could find the noise, sure enough around 2K rpm there it was I looked at the heat shield and then put my hand on it and the noise was gone. Just shear luck. Hope it works for you:) :) :)
There is a Benz Tech bulletin our stating if you rear a sound in and around the instrument panel near the right cpillar the dealer can apply an adhesive backed felt on the clip for the cowl to hood seal. The noise may be cause as the engine hood closes, causing the right hinge to rub against the mounting clip.

Good Night!