PDA

View Full Version : replacing belt

benzist
09-07-2005, 12:59 PM
i know this is kinda lame but what's the easiest way to take out the belt. is it through the tensioner? and if i need to touch the tensioner, is there a special tool? Thanks guys!

Dr.Drew
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
cut it with a knife lol :confused:

jnenad16
09-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by benzist
i know this is kinda lame but what's the easiest way to take out the belt. is it through the tensioner? and if i need to touch the tensioner, is there a special tool? Thanks guys!
year and model first, please.

nenad

benzist
09-08-2005, 10:35 AM
94 c280, i noticed you now have a 3.2 engine, how's the ride?

benzfan
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
The tensioner is rotated clockwise (think tightening the bolt) using a 15mm wrench to loosen the belt. Slip it off the alternator pulley to completely slacken the belt then release the tensioner. You can work it off the rest of the pulleys, then from underneath you can walk it off the crank pulley by rotating the fan by hand. You'll notice that there isn't much clearance. The new one can go on in exactly the reverse order. The factory procedures call for removal of the fan clutch unit, but it isn't necessary. Don't forget to remove the 2-piece fan shroud first (easy) to give you a little more working room. Make sure when you put it back on that the fan is not going to hit it anywhere.

benzist
09-08-2005, 03:29 PM
thanks

hvmercy
09-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
year and model first, please.

nenad

How about for a 1997 C230?

I have the new belt with me and don't know $h!t on
how to replace the old one. :D

thanks,
hvmercy
(rob)

Ethan
09-25-2005, 04:55 PM
easy.

first draw a diagram showing the route of the belt through the pullies.

Then apply a socket on the belt tensioner- which is at 1:00 to the crankshaft pulley.

I think (guess) it is like a ten mm socket that fits onto the center nut of the tensioner and pull it anti-clockwise. This will release the tensioner to pull the belt off.

Do the reverse to put the belt on.