PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for inevitable suspension job.

202rules
09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
So just as my stock exhaust fell off because of rust, some suspension parts seem to be on their way to go very soon too, and I hope I get to fixing that problem sooner!

My mechanic said he couldn't align my wheels last week because all the bolts were completely rusted and he gave me a list of things that will need to be replaced. I also took a look at the shocks while the car was up and saw that they were leaking. To be honest with you I knew this was coming, my car sounds so squeeky on bumps and even when I accelerate sometimes or brake.

So I thought that this is probably a good enough excuse to spend money on lowering the car once and for all, while at the same time trying to forget that that would subsequently make me want new wheels even more :D

I'm hoping to do this myself with the help of one of my friends who has jacks and air tools and a big guarage, and possibly another friend who has done this kind of stuff to japanese cars before, mainly civics.

All I need now is to ask your opinions on the parts list that I have on my hand right now:

First, this is what the mechanic said needs to be ordered for him to fix the rust problem and be able to do the alignment (total $270.00 @ retail pricing from the mechanic)

1- Tie rod ends (Qty 2)
2- Control arm struts (Qty 2)
3- Bolt Kit (Qty 4)
4- Eccentric adjusting kit (Qty 2)

Now to lower the car, I "believe" I will only need the following:

5- Eibach pro kit for springs (Qty 4).
6- Bilstein sport shocks (Qty 4).
7- Probably wanna get new pads too (Qty 4)
8- Speedybenz's camber arms? Will I really have a camber problem even with the eibach springs which don't lower the car as much as the other brands? Most common opinion on the board from research has been to wait until the alignment to figure out if the problem exists. That's my current opinion too.

Anything else missing? Any of those first 4 seem like something that will need to be different than stock because of lowering the car? Does any of the first 4 seem like something that the mechanic could be trying to inflate my bill with and I should investigate further?

I do like to preserve comfort in the ride as much as possible and not lower the car a lot, I would like to avoid tire, bumper and downpipe scraping, thus my choice for the eibach springs. The bilstein choice was made because they're significantly cheaper than koni. Also, I don't go to the track, so I'm mostly interested in better looks and just the feel of improved handling. Keeping cost as low as possible is also of high priority, but without compromising on safety or quality and durability of parts, it's a Mercedes afterall.

I appreciate your comments, and sorry for the long posting.

sig425
09-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Looks about right. These guys have great prices on factory parts.
http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/
I got my motor mounts from them at a fantastic price! Tell them you are from club202 forum as they appreciate the internet business.

And these guys have great prices on the shocks. Plus they can honor your warranty unlike the guys on ebay. $309 shipped!!
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_make.asp?Group1=Cars

Im not sure about the bolt kit. I would have thought Mercedes would use aluminum bolts? Oh well. I would probably go to a part supply house and just buy grade 8 annodized for a few cents a bolt. thats the strongest commercial grade plus the annodizing keeps them from rusting. Standard grade 8 will work. If you want to get really nutty you can order aircraft bolts from pegasus online... Thats the strongest bolt they make and Im sure its still less than mercedes bolts.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/?iorb=4764&BR001

Im still kicking this job around as well. Just put it in the air and look for cracked rubber :D Check your motor mounts for brownish yellow goop spraying/oozing out! Time for a new mount if so.

I am trying to get BMS to make more c43 cat back systems since my resonnator is cracked.. so you might hold off for a week or so if you want a killer stainless system.

202rules
09-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by sig425
Looks about right. These guys have great prices on factory parts.
http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/
I got my motor mounts from them at a fantastic price! Tell them you are from club202 forum as they appreciate the internet business.

And these guys have great prices on the shocks. Plus they can honor your warranty unlike the guys on ebay. $309 shipped!!
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_make.asp?Group1=Cars

Im not sure about the bolt kit. I would have thought Mercedes would use aluminum bolts? Oh well. I would probably go to a part supply house and just buy grade 8 annodized for a few cents a bolt. thats the strongest commercial grade plus the annodizing keeps them from rusting. Standard grade 8 will work. If you want to get really nutty you can order aircraft bolts from pegasus online... Thats the strongest bolt they make and Im sure its still less than mercedes bolts.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/?iorb=4764&BR001

Im still kicking this job around as well. Just put it in the air and look for cracked rubber :D Check your motor mounts for brownish yellow goop spraying/oozing out! Time for a new mount if so.

I am trying to get BMS to make more c43 cat back systems since my resonnator is cracked.. so you might hold off for a week or so if you want a killer stainless system.

hey sig425 thanks a lot for the reply. From some people's replies about camber problems in the forums it seemed like there was another Mercedes bolt kit that you could buy that would help fix the problem. Do you know if they were talking about the one that the sport or AMG models have? I should probably go with that, right?

I have the BMS exhaust system on my C280. Mine is extremely loud because of the magnaflow muffler. It hasn't gotten to bothering me personally yet, but I know people comment on it when they're in the car. In higher RPM there's noticable gain but in lower RPM range it feels like the car lost some juice.

knvs
09-08-2005, 06:37 AM
to fix rear camber problems u'll need speedybenz camber arms. There are camber bolts for the front. You can get them fron the dealer. If you're interested in the front camber bolts, I actually have a set that I haven't used. Cost about $50 from the dealer, I'll sell them for $40 shipped.

For parts I'd check out purems.com they'll have shocks and springs. And then get pads from dealer and there is a guy on ebay that sell tie rod ends and ball joints for pretty cheap.

Renn 208
09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 202rules
hey sig425 thanks a lot for the reply. From some people's replies about camber problems in the forums it seemed like there was another Mercedes bolt kit that you could buy that would help fix the problem. Do you know if they were talking about the one that the sport or AMG models have? I should probably go with that, right?

Just to clarify, there are no sport or AMG specific parts for camber adjustment. What exists is a "camber repair bolt" that works across the range and minimally adjust camber (while also having an effect on toe). There are other threads on here that go more in depth, so I'll keep this one brief.

202rules
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Just to clarify, there are no sport or AMG specific parts for camber adjustment. What exists is a "camber repair bolt" that works across the range and minimally adjust camber (while also having an effect on toe). There are other threads on here that go more in depth, so I'll keep this one brief.

Thanks.

202rules
09-27-2005, 02:17 PM
OK, so I have bought everything except for the bolts.

I have:
- 4 Eibach pro-kit springs
- 4 Koni adjustable shocks (I went with koni in the end)
- 2 LPD polyurethane bushings
- 2 tie rod ends
- 2 rear control arm struts

:banana:

Now I'm gonna try to figure out what bolts I need. I would like to replace every bolt that I'm gonna be replacing, it's a good thing to do I think.

So, right now, I have the 4 bolt kits (basically 1 per lower control arm), and the eccentric adjusting kit which I assume is the repair bolt kit that Renn was talking about.

I still need to figure out what other bolts I'm gonna be removing.