PDA

View Full Version : how to soundproof the interior

Abuimad
09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
well.....when i have my stereo blasting, and the bass is going crazy, i am hearing a loud distortion from the sunroof (shaking and making noise) ne idea how to get rid of it ????

neema12
09-15-2005, 11:07 AM
What type of setup do you have?

I dampened my trunk lid with ~40sqft of RaAmat sound dampening, its military technology and think material but good quality. I used a heat gun to make it soft and a towel to bend it around corners. A also threw in ~10sqft of carpet padding which is about 1/2" thick and is great stuff. I stuffed it in the pockets of the trunk lid so it was the best seal I can get for the money I spent. I havent seen a more solid trunk lid on any car sofar. My truck lid had almost no rattle and is very solid and keeps the outside quite, at a stop light you cant tell my car is the one with the thump unless I roll my windows down.

Each door has about 5sqft of carpet padding stuffed in corners and behind the support crush bar. I glued it to the metal with liquid nails left over from building my sub box and it works perfect. I dont know anyone else on this fourm that has taken so much time to dampen their doors so if you have any questions about what to use or where to use them ask now. I also added the base layer of the RaAmat on the doors, about 10sqft and that really made the doors heavy and quite when I close them. I have had some many instances when people get in my car the first time and need to open the door agian because they dident close it the first time, its like a new jaguar, they use 5 gallons of liquid dampener. I still have issues with liquid stuff but I have heard good stories.

I also have seveal other parts of the car covered and secured better than stock. I have never ever had an issue with the sunroof making any noises, even under extream conditions, so I cant help you their. But I am guessing if your sunroof is making noise, so is everything else in the car and that looks bad and unprofessional.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And your setup...:)

Abuimad
09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
daaaaamn, i cant even think of any one who went this far to soundproof his car, wow now thats professional, well im gona go for the sunroof advice cause its seriously irritating me, as for my system...well im ashamed to say i have nuthing installed.....all i got is my ipod and my changer..and i admit the quality isnt all that, but its decent for my daily ride to uni, thanks for the advice youve been more than helpfull :>

JDoggery
09-15-2005, 01:15 PM
do you have any pictures of this? where did you purchase this RaAmat? how much was it? from your description it sounds similar to vblok, where you can heat it and such.

neema12
09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
If you have the stock system then something is wrong with your sunroof. A loose part, misaligned rail, something small that is causing it to make noise, something is touching something else that creates the noise.

As far as sound damping, its actually called RAAMmat. Here is a link to learn more but I don’t suggest running and buying it just because I used. It was a good buy but now that car audio is booming their are many other companies that offer new products for cheaper prices.

Read around and do some research before you spend a dime, and find out if you need it at all. I have seen rookies buy $200 in dampening and apply it in the wrong way. Take a trip to the local hardware store or construction site and see if they have scraps of peal-n-seal. It’s a cheap roofing material that can be used but is harder to work with. I suggest getting a heat gun as well. I borrowed mine so I didn’t need to spend more money.

Heating the material allows it to soften so you can bend it into odd shapes and corners. I had a friend who lives in Sacramento. He first applied the dampening material with a roller. The next day it fell off and stuck to his carpet because of the heat. I have parked in the direct sun for hours in Walnut Creek summer weather and never had an issue because of the way I installed the material.

I have several pictures of my first install but no way to host it. My four accounts at photo bucket are full of other car audio pictures and stuff I sell. If you really want some let me know and I can email them, I have no problem sharing so you can learn.

http://www.raamaudio.com/