PDA

View Full Version : ne idea how ??

Abuimad
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
ne idea how A) i can get rid of that nasty four cylinder sound when its parked, and not moving....and B) ne idea what that little button under the gas pedal is for...i have a c230 98 american specs
plz help

Renn 208
09-16-2005, 11:01 AM
To answer B)

It's the kickdown button, and when depressed, your car will shift down to the lowest safe gear.

It basically tells your car that you're asking for max acceleration. And while downshifts can still happen without fully depressing the kickdown, the distinction is that you're calling for max accel...

Hopefully someone can provide more details, but that's the gist of it.

alphanumeric
09-16-2005, 11:09 AM
for A... many of us are still trying to figure out how to get rid of it.. its something inside the cylinder head.. I thought it was just from my c230k having 75k miles..but I heard a brand new 05 c230k sport do it too!

I have tried a few different oil solutions and it still sounded like ass. the only thing that is a solution is an exhaust system.

jstrat85
09-16-2005, 06:15 PM
the only way you can get rid of that noices is by turboing your car;) ;) ;) the only thing i hear when i drive my car is mt turbo spooling up and when i let go of gas i hear the blow out vavle:D :D :D

...... got boost????

Abuimad
09-16-2005, 11:52 PM
well that was helpful, but turbo is out of the question, but i need to get rif of the sound cause im hating it, such a crappy sound, and if an exhaust is what it takes then i need to get a new exhaust

benzfan
09-18-2005, 06:38 AM
The noise is generated by the design of the manifold itself. Any exhaust changes you make must include this piece or you just mask it. The inline 6 engines have a sound of their own too when revved because of the welded manifold design that is a dual 3-into-2 design. Old cars had a big cast iron manifold that would deaden the sound completely, and anyone as old as I am who remembers taking those off and putting steel tube headers on also remembers the tremendous amount of additional noise generated by that change. It was a distinctive metallic sound, something both of my inline 6s have. Your 4 has a sound all its own. A nice header that is properly designed will change the sound characteristics entirely.

mbLova
09-18-2005, 11:17 AM
buy a 1999 c280, like the one i have :D :D :D

benzonline
09-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I noticed on some mornings the engine of my C230K will sound more harsher and raspy (tractor sound) than others.

What could this be? It should be making that tractor sound all the time until the rpm drops!