PDA

View Full Version : Removing More Weight - New Members

speedybenz
09-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Since we have lots of new members since I did my initiall removal of extra weight I thought I would just ask for what some of your ideas might be.

I plan on keeping the stock seats to have the car keep the same feel, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

09-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Sorry if it has been already suggested but I'm wondering about trunk lining and in case spare wheel, but only when really necessary.

...but with that amout of power you really need to save weight:)

Abuimad
09-19-2005, 01:30 AM
well, you can replace yur trunk engine hood, and trunk with much lighter Carbon Fiber, you can replace the wheels to lighter ones, you can replace you disks with drilled rotors, ur exhaust with a lighter ones, and those are just the basics

speedybenz
09-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Abuimad,

Thanks for your input. Do you know of a company or people who make a CF trunk? I know VIS makes a CF/Fiberglass hood.

Jeff

Abuimad
09-19-2005, 03:27 PM
well so far i havent seen ne1 who has done it but that dosent mean its not been done, cause i googled it, and i saw thousands of hits, however VIS does make em and i also saw this http://www.erebunicorp.com/NEW/MERCEDES.HTM

c55m8o
09-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Abuimad,
Thanks for your input. Do you know of a company or people who make a CF trunk? I know VIS makes a CF/Fiberglass hood.
Jeff Is Jack Glass still in business? I exchanged e-mails with him regarding a C/F hood maybe even fenders. As long as someone can get him the part, he can make a CF replacement.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6207

714guy
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1864_23667858

I've lost 10 lbs. :D :D Good for the car and the ticker.

About the trunk, let me see how much it would cost to get one made out of CF when i get some molds made.

JDoggery
09-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1864_23667858

I've lost 10 lbs. :D :D Good for the car and the ticker.

About the trunk, let me see how much it would cost to get one made out of CF when i get some molds made.

umm, euro cf trunk....
http://www.shovelbeating.org/~jporcar/other/homer_drool.gif

c280nz
09-19-2005, 11:13 PM
All this talk of carbon fibre is getting me excited :-)
please stop it guys ;)
Um lightweight, well im thinking
- the driveshaft could do with some attention
-lighten flywheel
-ud lighter pully
(the bottom two more apply to me than you, as i read you already have and underdrive pully done.
and theres also a bit too much sound deadening/foam all around the place that could be shed (if noise isnt an issue)

c55m8o
09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
[Band theres also a bit too much sound deadening/foam all around the place that could be shed (if noise isnt an issue) [/B] His car'z hella loud already! Jeff, let us know if Mrs. Speedybenz would approve. :p

Renn 208
09-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Just don't start drilling holes in the chassis Jeff...

speedybenz
09-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Losing some weight off my body would be good and I need to do this also.

Well I appreciate the help, keep the suggestions coming.

Jeff

Renn 208
09-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Losing some weight off my body would be good and I need to do this also.

Well I appreciate the help, keep the suggestions coming.

Jeff

Do you really need A/C? Stereo (replace with nano and removeable battery powered speakers ;) ? Sun Visors? Rear Deck? Inner fender liners? Cig lighter and ashtray delete. Cup holder Replace rear and side windows with Polycarb? Replace side view and rear view mirrors with lighter ones. Replace hood and trunk with fiberglass. TI race springs. Sounds like the rear seats, license plates could come out for track days...do they pop out easy enough? Are the Volks even lighter than the SSRs? How about tires? find anything lighter with at least the same grip?

Perhaps it's time to dig into the internals?

Well there's my brainstorm for ya...anything look doable to you?

Denlasoul
09-21-2005, 06:26 AM
You can also take out extra stuff like the windshield washer resevoir.

!!!!!NJ Drive
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
You can also take out extra stuff like the windshield washer resevoir. mines been out for about 8months...i figured every ounce counts

714guy
09-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
...i figured every ounce counts

also make sure to empty out you bladder and large intestine also on race day . . . hahahahahahahah

jlomon
09-22-2005, 12:00 PM
If you have a glass sunroof on your car, replace it with a metal roof from a previous model year. The glass roof weighs twice as much, I think. If you can live without the sunroof, then pull out all the tracking and the motor, and just weld in a roof panel.

Jonathan

Beau M
09-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Just buy a miata.

aruba
09-23-2005, 08:59 AM
i getting a custom fiber glas hood for 175 us here in aruba the guy is going to make a mold ,but im not shore for how much he will be selling them after that

pnsji
10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
You could replace the OEM battery for a lightweight dry cell battery.

Abuimad
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
replace you rimms with lighter ones, carbon fiber hood and trunk and if you want to go to the extreme a friend of mine who owns a m3 e36 replaced his fuil resovoiure with a 20 litre one..., there is a million things you can take out/replace to make your care carry less weight

therock2689
06-17-2006, 05:59 PM
CF doors, trunk, hood, fender(i dont know if they make, but if you pay enough they will). Sound deadening, sound system, strip the interior(only for full on race), wash tank, flywheel, pullys, driveshaft, rims. Only do drilled rotors with swept vane rotors, if not, it wont do a damn thing and maybe even make braking less efective. Spair tire and all the tools. LED light bulbs, i think they are lighter. Drilled Alm. pedals, delete sunroof, exhaste with Ti. Oh, nost importent of all, the driver lose weight(if needed), and take a huge dump and pee before the race. I dont know if you can pull it off, but a motor swap to an Alm. block, because the C230k is a cast iron block, right???

rollinrealbig
06-17-2006, 06:41 PM
CF rims LMFAO :D

therock2689
06-17-2006, 07:45 PM
that would be interesting. ITs too brital though. They do have carbon-carbon compisite brakes now to, kinda like carbon fiber i guess. What you need is spider web, stronger then steel. And if spidey can swing on it, you can drive on it.

jnenad16
06-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
CF rims LMFAO :D
believe it or not, there are CF rims. there is a guy here in Honolulu that was on a local tuner tv show that bragged about having the only set of CF rims on the island.

nenad

rollinrealbig
06-17-2006, 10:43 PM
with the roads we have CF rims would be gone the second the rim hits the little crack in the driveway ! :D

therock2689
06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
believe it or not, there are CF rims. there is a guy here in Honolulu that was on a local tuner tv show that bragged about having the only set of CF rims on the island.

nenad
it would have to be a solid block of CF. 19x 9.5 block of CF, that how i roll, OH YA

mike mac
11-20-2006, 09:09 PM
dont fill your tank to FULL... maybe half or quarter. or just replace your tank with a cell in the trunk and remove all that unessary black shit in the trunk... that way you may have the looks and features inthe cabin. BTW your do have a thick ass fire wall behind the rear bench, so port the bitch!! lol

im assuming you take your mats out when or if you take it to a track.

what my friend does to his S2000 is takes all his carpet and shit out. both seats, and replaces the drivers seat with a racing one.
somehow convert your side windows to fiber glass.

but hey im the one with a sub box in the back that weighs a ton.

im gunna ask one of the MB tecs ar work and see what they think i should take out. they always have something up their sleaves.

Will_w202
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
being practical, I removed the spare tire./wheel. I carry a can of fixa flat, and AAA. I've blown 2 tires in 16 years. I figure it's a good risk