PDA

View Full Version : plz help me...suspention problems

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 03:38 AM
PLZ help me i was going up a speed bump really gently with no music on, and i started realising my car is really squeaky...suspension wise i think...i mean i would go over a speedbump or on a kickdown or break my suspention (i think) would make a noise...how can i fix this....

202rules
09-28-2005, 06:32 AM
My car does the same sometimes, especially on hot days it would make noises when you accelerate or brake suddenly, and when getting off driveways.

I'm gonna be replacing my shocks, springs, two front lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends on the front and control arm struts on the rear. I hope that this will bring my suspension back to life and give me a nice lowered look.

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 07:57 AM
that sounds like a looot of work and a looooooooooooot of money...ne idea how much it costs...and ne idea if we can silence the noise by adding some lubricants or something ??

tpliquid
09-28-2005, 11:03 AM
spray some wd40

dont takemy ord for it i never tried it b4

sig425
09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
dont use wd40. The solvents in wd40 are not so good for that application. Use spray lithium grease and you should be good to go. The trick is to find where the squeak is.

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 01:15 PM
ill try that but just for the sake of asking how much would a new suspention cost

tpliquid
09-28-2005, 01:16 PM
how about just the bushings instead of new suspension :)

jnenad16
09-28-2005, 05:34 PM
could be anything from worn bushings to shocks to improperly seated springs. my bet would be the shocks, if it only squeeks when you go over the bumps, as you say.

nenad

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
yeah it sqeakys over bumps or when i go over a ramp or something, and there are a looot of bumps on the streets here so...thats a looot of sqeaking, im gonna try lubrication if it dosent work then i would change the shocks, or do whatever my damn mechanic tells me to :(

Sulaco
10-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Well if your shocks have like 100,000 miles on them, then they are certainly causing squeeks and pops. I know mine are. They are factory original bilsteins with 165k miles on them. They squeek pop and rattle every time I put it in gear, run over a toothpick, accelerate, get in/out my car, EVERYTHING.

I'm pretty sure just replacing them with new shocks would fix most of the problem (plus make it ride like a CLOUD as if she were new again). OEM shocks are like $80 each.

If you're like me and don't want to lower your car, you should never have to replace your springs. They should last longer than you'll ever have that car (say, 600,000 miles?). Although I'll have this car for at least another 5 years. I'm going for the world's-most-used-202 award.

My father new a man who bought a brand new SL Benz back in 1968 and put over a quarter-million miles on it by 1995. I think he still drives it!

Abuimad
10-06-2005, 07:10 PM
well the car has 60 thousand only however it was kept in storage for lil over 2 years so maybe thats the problem...and although im dying to lower the car im afraid i cant do that cause my parking is underground and right b4 the slump there is a bump..and the car even with this height always rubs, so if i lower it i would b changing my exhaust everyother day
btw i went to the mechanic, and he tried lubricating it with grease and at first i thought the sound was gone but it was still there :bored:

Jasonmarosi
10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
I have the same noise and its the shocks. The shop said I am riding on springs my shocks have no compression at all. I bought the Bilstine Sports today from Eshocks and should get them soon. anyways all the noise that you described about the popping squeeking is the shocks. I dont get much squeeking now just popping.

JUST INSTALLED NEW LPD BUSHINGS TIE ROD ENDS. SWEET STEERING SO FAR

Abuimad
10-18-2005, 05:42 AM
jason how much did they cost u ???

benzonline
10-18-2005, 06:24 AM
I dont have an issue with the squeaking (yet) but is it normal or does anyone notice their car when going quickly over a pothole or a small bump....the car shifts to the right slightly? I noticed it would skip like that but thought its cause the car is light (for a benz).

benzfan
10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
I suspect that you have one or more bushings in the multilink rear suspension that need replacement if you are getting the car dancing over small bumps. FYI, on most of them, it's easier to just buy new arms with bushings already installed. This lack of straightline stability caused by the worn rear will also show up in crosswinds. The car will wander a lot and be hard to keep straight. Front suspension bushings and ball joints can also contribute to this effect.

benzonline
10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Hmm I didnt notice any drifting in high winds (atleast nothing too crazy!) just the dancing over harsh bumps.

This happens already on a w202 with 80 000kms?

Abuimad
10-19-2005, 06:07 AM
well here when im on the highway speeding, my car seems to play a lil with the wind, but i think thats normal right...neways how much does replacing all the bushing cost ?

benzfan
10-19-2005, 09:54 AM
It is normal for the 202 to be affected somewhat by crosswinds, as it is not considered to be a heavy car. Replacing bushings is not very expensive, but don't consider your bushings gone unless you sre seeing more than one of the following symptoms;

1) Significant crosswind problems to the point at which you slow down due to control problems
2) Major dancing to one side or another over bumps and
3) (this is a real telltale) movement of the rear of the car to the side slightly when kicking power in - not to be confused with deliberately breaking the wheels loose into a drift.
4) noises that haven't been alleviated by trying the obvious shock replacement.

Mark, I doubt yours are gone, as you don't have many miles on your car. Some tires are less forgiving than others, even in the aspect ratio you have. Until you see another symptom showing itself, just inspect your suspension whenever you have a wheel off. My wife's C280 still has good front control arm bushings at 360,000km.

Jasonmarosi
10-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
jason how much did they cost u ???

Abuimad
The LPD were $50 Each and The Tie rod Ends off ebay for $26 each side, Bilstine for $309 From Eshocks. Installed all myself. Easy! to do.