PDA

View Full Version : tranny fluid replacment

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 08:16 AM
how do we know if its time to replace tranny fluid ??

Renn 208
09-28-2005, 08:45 AM
typically by the milage on the current fluid. While there are no hard and fast recommendations, a change every 60K miles would be prudent.

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 08:57 AM
ok cause i have the feeling my transmission is mixing up, and the gear change is not smooth at all, and some gears are getting stuck and i thought a simple tranny fluid change would help.....would it ?

Ashkan's C280
09-28-2005, 09:51 AM
I am going to try and change mine every 6 months, I had my first change at 94k, I should have done it when I fist bought the car

jnolte
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
sounds like clutches are slipping change tranny fluid ASAP, damage may already be done. :(

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
well im going to a mechanic tomorow to get it changed and to check my tranny, but just so that i dont get robbed i will post what he says and post the quote...GOD i hope its not a loot cause i have other things i need to spend on like 18 inch rimms, and a nice body kit

714guy
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
I am going to try and change mine every 6 months, I had my first change at 94k, I should have done it when I fist bought the car

Yikes thats a lot of $$$ at 14 a quart and you need 10 quarts!!!!! I usually do it every other year or 30 - 40 K miles.

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 05:23 PM
wow...thats a loot i dont even wanna imagine the price of a tranny :( hope oil would fix it, cause if it dosent im screwed

jnenad16
09-28-2005, 05:31 PM
trans fluid along with filter and gasket should be changed every 30k miles, regardless of the ATF type, lifetime fill or not. and if you drive the car hard, 15-20k intervals are highly recommended.

nenad

Abuimad
09-28-2005, 05:40 PM
ne idea whats the usual life time of a tranny ? and how can i tell if its time to change the whole thing

jnenad16
09-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
ne idea whats the usual life time of a tranny ? and how can i tell if its time to change the whole thing
well, if maintained properly, the trans can last a long time. but if you have a mb, dont expect it to last long w/o frequent fluid changes and cooler upgrades.
when it comes to fluid changes, the brand of ATF matters, too. I use redline religiously on all of my cars because its higher quality then most, if not all ATF out on the market, its fully synthetic, so it can be used with virtually every trans, just gotta use the appropriate rating, and it lasts longer than conventional ATF. I also highly recommend an aftermarket cooler, since the mb trans coolers are inadequate, in my professional opinion, and the most frequent cause of trans failures is directly linked to overheating, the result of insufficient cooling.
if you are concerned about your trans, do a search and read my posts on ATF and trans coolers.

nenad

benzonline
09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
I will be getting mine changed soon aswell.....dealer wants $300 cdn labour included.

Ashkan's C280
09-28-2005, 07:45 PM
I had it done for 150 usd and it came with the filter and 4 qts of redline, they said something about it being 8 total but the from the pan only 4 would come out? and that I should not change all the fluid at once cause it could mess the tranny? I had it done at tws so I tend to believe them, I think pete knows what he is talking about, he told me to come back in 6 months... meh 300 a year for few extra years on my tranny is worth it to me...., after this next change I might go once a year