PDA

View Full Version : Coloured tires

c280nz
09-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Anyone have any experience with those tires with the big colour stripes around them?
I just got 2 tires off a mate that works at a tire shop with yellow colouring. He said that the hole idea of them is that they make yellow smoke in a burnout. i havent got them fitted yet i just got them, so when i do ill chuck them on lay a burnout and video it!
they look sort of semi slick tires
i hope they fit my rim. they are 215/35/18 and i got 18*8 inch rim.
the reason i got them because they just became illegal here and he cant sell them :-)
any personal experience anyone?

714guy
09-28-2005, 10:03 PM
They're suppose to make the tire marks yellow or whatever color the stripes are.

MYMBZZL
09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
those tires are called walled tires. They use to sell them standard with old cars like in the movie grease. They usually have white walled tires as the standard, I've never heard of any other color tho!

c280nz
09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
the color is not on the side wall is just on the actual tyre tread area,
i just found this pic of the idea of color smoke burnout, these is the red ones, but myne are yellow
http://www.kumhousa.com/News/Images/smoke.jpg
(id never be able to make smoke like that but thats the idea)

trymonlam
09-28-2005, 11:40 PM
well, learning something new everyday.

Sulaco
09-29-2005, 02:04 AM
I've made smoke like that. Back in HS when I used to do burn outs all the time and sometimes it would be positive traction.

I regret it completely :(

Abuimad
09-29-2005, 04:55 AM
i heard of color tires with a stripe around them so that when the color is gone u would know that ur tire needs to be changed, but thats something else....i mean unless u got a c43 or a c55 i suggest u install some normal tires, cause in a 280 i doubt if u would burnout and it would get noticed :)

Under Pressure
09-29-2005, 08:45 AM
c280nz, are you refering to the B.F. Goodrich Scorcher tires?

http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/5e/e0/autoTiresAllBF_Goodrich_Scorcher_TA_Yellow-resized200.jpg http://www.thewheelconnection.com/images/tires/bfgoodrich_scorchertayellow.jpg

If so, thats a reputable company so you should be okay. Somce people think the color stripe are "rice" but I think its kind of cool.

Abuimad
09-29-2005, 11:10 AM
they look different...wich makes it cool i guess however i wouldnt think of getting ne, cause my c230 would never make a burnout like that of the pic, i actualy doubt it would make a burnout at all, and i think the 280 is the same, so....if only i had a c43..but i dont

c280nz
09-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Under pressure those are the exact tires :-)
i couldnt remember the name when i first posted cheers

Delta36
09-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Do they come in different colors?

09-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Hey 280nz,

Do you live around akl, it's just I got a Blk C280 and it's good to see other benz around owned by young guys!!!

c280nz
09-30-2005, 02:05 AM
hey 202280.
nah i live in palmerston north, and just finishing off uni in chch at the moment.
Yea new zealanders are poping up all over the place!
good to see another 280 too. does urs have a amg kit? or any mods? post up a pic :-)
i think youl find a few kiwis on here and one particular fella from auckland "23k" (paul) which when you see his car will impress!
c ya

09-30-2005, 03:49 PM
hey logan,

Ol ChCh aye? :) I met my lady down there, fine breed of girls! Yeh I got the AMG kit and all. I would like to turbo charge at some stage but am not sure yet, maybe I'll just supercharge it!?! Might be easier?

No mods as of yet, I dont know if there's any point! I read on here about some guys putting pod filters on and having to put vortex generators and then the length and diameter of the pipe seemed a bit critical to the rpm performance of the engine... it seems like you have to be an expect in fluid mechanics to get it right! Ah well, maybe you can give it a go and tell us all what works best! ;-) So, good luck!

What mods have done? Any performance increase?

Maybe a set of those eibach progressive springs would help along abit...

Unfortunately no pics yet but I will soon. I was thinking of polishing the monoblocks to match the chrome trimmings, should be nice.

Good to hear!

C YA! -Matt

c280nz
10-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Matt-
You lost me with the pod filter talk? im not planning on doing that so im not sure why u say good luck but meh :-)
some people say supercharge some say turbo on here, both are alot of work!!! and expensive.

mods ah, well i should really get some progressive fronts, like you say i was looking at some eibach, but i have some harder aftermarket springs with a few coils cut at the moment, not ideal but it handles pritty well!
and andjustable rear camber arms you will need if you want to lower it, i got some of them.
and its got tints+ chrome 18" not really dtm style but i plan to change my mags to something a bit better when i have some more money, not sure bout if il get chrome or not?
a few other little things not worth mentioning, oh yea and its manual, not really a mod but rare because of it :-)

i have seen one or 2 pics of polished monoblocks, and they looked good, something different to staandard monos, goodluck.
keen to see pic!

Abuimad
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM
bad idea on cutting those springs....very bad idea i have seen my share of accidents here with ppl cutting there springs and while trying to go between cars they loose complete control and end up kissing a guard rail or hugging a light post....dont save money on crucial things like that, i would rather ride it safe than sorry

c280nz
10-01-2005, 07:33 PM
im not sure why cut springs could cause such an accident? please explain?

and matt heres a pic of polished monoblocks on a black w202
http://www.2phast.com/C36/c36%20side.jpg

Abuimad
10-01-2005, 09:13 PM
well for many reasons and im listing only a few here
A) few ppl can cut the strongs in a symmetrical way, so you have one side higher than the other side, wich you may not be able to see in the naked eye however it would mean a lot when traveling at high speeds
B) cutting your springs by 20mm or more you will need harder shocks, this is a problem when you are taking a corner at high speeds your car would have friction with the ground damaging it a lot and may end up in you loosing control
for more info you can listen to the expert on this

http://www.3arabiyim3adali.com/site/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=11&mode=&order=0&thold=0

c280nz
10-01-2005, 09:50 PM
not trying to make an arguement but
A) the front of a 202 have different seating patterns for their springs on each side resulting in even with even length springs one side sitting lower than the other. < it is fucked i know.
but i cut my springs to a more even length than they come stock when i bought them!
B) and i prolly cut 50mm or more from my springs and my car has never touched the ground cornering, and i corner very hard

i read that article and it told me absolutly nothing that i didnt already know. i do need a harder shock, which will come, but my sport shocks seem to be doing ok, until i get some money and can afford some nice shocks

Abuimad
10-01-2005, 10:04 PM
dunno i had a 99 civic wich i had the springs cut, and i was entering a corner really fast wich i thought the car could handle and it did in the begining and suddenly the car went crazy and i slammed dunked in a really high pavement...long story short it was the suspention to blame cause on the left side of te car (the non hit side) the side skirts was eaten away and on the road was the bright red color of my car...so its still of a phobeia here, and ask ne car enthusiast who knows his mechanics he would tell u cutting springs is just pure dangerous...

c280nz
10-01-2005, 10:28 PM
i give up trying to tell u anything.
do a search i just did and found a few good quotes to shut u up but can be bothered quoting other "Intelligent people" as it may not be their wish to be used in an arguement
search "cutting springs"
and side skirts can hit the ground you just dont want any structural components hitting
you need to drive a lowered car differently so you dont hit anything like mounds on the raod.
if you know what you are doing cutting srpings is acceptable

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 06:01 AM
well i guess ill have to agree with you, since clearly you hold more expertise than every mechanic i ever saw, every person who knows a thing or two about cars, and even every person who had cut the springs and then went and bought lowered springs, well if ne1 else has an imput on this discussion they are welcome to post, cause i might be wrong, but im pretty sure im not

mr. gatsbury
10-02-2005, 03:32 PM
about the tires, i just saw somthing on tv about a chemical they are mixing with the rubber that produces a color smoke screen when you do a burnout. (like the picture on the first page) The tires are all black rubber you wouldn't even know and the only color they had at the time was red but it was pretty cool anyway...

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 05:48 PM
all this talk of burn outs made me want to go and try one (for the first time with my w202) and i did..in my under ground parking....after i just washed the damn car.....smoke alarm went crazy and i had to bail so they wouldnt know it was me...point is...were can i get that spray cause i like the sound of it

jnolte
10-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Abuimad
well i guess ill have to agree with you, since clearly you hold more expertise than every mechanic i ever saw, every person who knows a thing or two about cars, and even every person who had cut the springs and then went and bought lowered springs, well if ne1 else has an imput on this discussion they are welcome to post, cause i might be wrong, but im pretty sure im not

damn your annoying!

Dont you have a thread asking if you should cut your springs or not?

Seems here you can answer the question for your self.

You make no sense... I hate having to read your posts

Abuimad
10-02-2005, 06:20 PM
other thread was to prove a point...u dont like my posts then dont read them, u got over 3000 posts here you do know theres a lil ignore button wich u can use..

c280nz
10-02-2005, 08:45 PM
hey here is an idea for you abuimad
- dont post things that annoy people and keep going on about it when you are not even sure yourself
i can tell this because your explanation of your crash was that the "car went crazy"(shows me you have no idea :rolleyes: ) but then u debate suspension systems with me

- because if like you say "use the ignore button" that is the last thing you want people to use on you cos then the most helpful people wont read ur posts to help you.

the fact that jnolte has 3000 posts should show you he knows what he is doing and whats going on, and doesnt need people like you blabering crap.

-Have some respect for what people have to tell you, and some respect will be shown in return-

ive said enough so stop posting crap in my topic

c280nz
10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
sorry bout that ^

Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
about the tires, i just saw somthing on tv about a chemical they are mixing with the rubber that produces a color smoke screen when you do a burnout. (like the picture on the first page) The tires are all black rubber you wouldn't even know and the only color they had at the time was red but it was pretty cool anyway...

that sounds like a good idea! normal loking tires that produce coloured smoke? man tire engineers are getting intellegant!
I wonder how they will last tho? cos if it had normal tire wear man that would be cool
:cool: